What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Unless the Dolphins are getting some cap concessions for 2023+, why are player managers thinking that their players value has bounced ? The new team need to assemble the same roster as everyone else, with the same cap and will be spending most of their time securing a half decent spine, then the pigs, a few zippy players and lastly a sprinkling of experience. Any player who elects to go there will probably not see the semis in their contract period, so all a bit overrated IMHO.

salt salting GIF

TheRam

Coach
One of the most important traits for a 1 is to be able to orchestrate the defensive line in front of him, if you believe he can do that than you obviously know more than the coaching staff who are currently guiding him.

by the way, a prominent scout once told me that the worse fullbacks in the game are the ones that can't pass and don't talk.

You could say that that applies to all of the spine positions.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
is crawley ayoub's best friend he seems to be pushing ayoubs barrow for him in trying to jack up the players money with the threat of going to play for bennet and the flippers ,Paulo the latest that wants to go north
Crawley is Benny’s mouthpiece.

TheRam

Coach
Russell is the reason why im not feeling over stressed about signing a new winger, another off season with the NRL squad will be awesome for him and the club, great talent.

I don't particularly have a high opinion of Hollis but does have the ability to prove me wrong. interested to see how he goes in the trials.

I agree with Russell. Interesting that and disappointing you should say that about Hollis. Without seeing him play much I was hoping he would be a candidate that could replace RCG when he left and do a great job. Pity. But then again I hope you are wrong, as I'm sure you too would feel the same, and he turns out to be a real gun.

TheRam

Coach
Only takes one person to challenge.

I previously heard the AFL underwrite all contracts so their player draft is never challenged. I suppose the NRL do the same since they supply each club their salary cap.

What does that mean? Please explain.

TheRam

Coach
Gutherson is still a very good fullback. One thing he does well is rarely ever drops a bomb. He also brings energy to the side.
His all round game is very good. If he was faster and stronger he would cost your 1 million. Remembering guys like Milford who have been mud for 3 or 4yrs now had a reduced contract of 350k. What is Gutherson worth? 500k is a little low ball. Id suggest around the 600-650k mark. 700k would be my limit for him knowing we may have a guy in Russel plus Dufty will be looking for a club in 2023 and won't cost much more then 250-300k

I agree totally hindy, but I have a feeling that he and his manager are after $850k-900k+, around the same as Moses money and maybe with added incentives like Moses too. Unfortunately I think they will get it too. Also I believe he is already on more then $700K from his last extortion deal. So he will be a stickler for even more this time. But I wouldn't budge.

I would hold out and tell him that he is not worth more then what he is on now and prioritize Mahoney over him and get that deal done before I get down in the trenches with Gutho and give him a take it or leave it offer. I would explain to him that there are other essential team mates that make up a great roster and we can't afford to over spend otherwise we run the risk of losing our best and then he will be playing in a lesser team that hasn't got a realistic chance of winning a premiership like he has now.

If he wasn't satisfied with that and he left well too bad, not so sad. Russell come on down the 2023 number 1 jersey awaits you my friend. It looks like it will be a nice snug fit.

Noise

Coach
Unless the Dolphins are getting some cap concessions for 2023+, why are player managers thinking that their players value has bounced ? The new team need to assemble the same roster as everyone else, with the same cap and will be spending most of their time securing a half decent spine, then the pigs, a few zippy players and lastly a sprinkling of experience. Any player who elects to go there will probably not see the semis in their contract period, so all a bit overrated IMHO.

salt salting GIF
The last two new clubs (Storm and Titans) made the semis in their first 3 years. The Storm did it in their 1st, winning a comp in their 2nd. Titans did it in their 3rd. I reckon the Dolphins are as much as a chance to make the semis in their first 3 years too.

Gronk

Staff member
I agree totally hindy, but I have a feeling that he and his manager are after $850k-900k+, around the same as Moses money and maybe with added incentives like Moses too. Unfortunately I think they will get it too. Also I believe he is already on more then $700K from his last extortion deal. So he will be a stickler for even more this time. But I wouldn't budge.

I would hold out and tell him that he is not worth more then what he is on now and prioritize Mahoney over him and get that deal done before I get down in the trenches with Gutho and give him a take it or leave it offer. I would explain to him that there are other essential team mates that make up a great roster and we can't afford to over spend otherwise we run the risk of losing our best and then he will be playing in a lesser team that hasn't got a realistic chance of winning a premiership like he has now.

If he wasn't satisfied with that and he left well too bad, not so sad. Russell come on down the 2023 number 1 jersey awaits you my friend. It looks like it will be a nice snug fit.
If we lost Gutho, he would leave a big hole in the leadership of the team. However he is very replaceable as a fullback.

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree with Russell. Interesting that and disappointing you should say that about Hollis. Without seeing him play much I was hoping he would be a candidate that could replace RCG when he left and do a great job. Pity. But then again I hope you are wrong, as I'm sure you too would feel the same, and he turns out to be a real gun.

Hollis looks more like an Aaron woods/Twal style property to me. I still think he has an NRL future based on the times I've seen him.

hindy111

Post Whore

2022 we have a hot crack I hope.
I'd then for 2023 have a mini rebuild and hope to go for it again in 2024. A guy like Dufty might be fine for 12mths till Russel is ready.

TheRam

Coach
If we lost Gutho, he would leave a big hole in the leadership of the team. However he is very replaceable as a fullback.

Yeah for sure, no doubt and I love what he brings to the team both on and off, but he isn't worth more then around the $700K's. He isn't in the same league as a Tedesco or Tommy T. They are realistically the only two fullbacks that you would pay $1m and feel that you will get value out of it. Sure they would probably get even more on the open market, but then depending on what your current team makeup is like and juniors coming through, it may stuff up the rest of your squad. I think both are currently on just over the million mark.

Even Pongia is a gamble at around $1m. He obviously has the talent, but he is a little inconsistent for mine at this stage and is primarily a left sided player. But yes if he was on the open market, you would probably add him to the $1m list.

Gronk

Staff member
Tyrone May has been punted (or nearly punted) because he posted a insensitive comment in Instagram. They could of swept it under the carpet Munster style, but they decided to clear some cap instead.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Paul Kent (of all people) explained it best when he paraphrased his discussions with club decision makers responsible for contract negotiations. He said there's a material difference between an $800k and a $900k player (for example) and this difference affects the salary cap when applied to every player in the squad (obviously adjusted for less valuable players, e.g. the difference between a $400k and a $450k player).

Kent said most of us can't tell the difference between an $800k player and a $900k player, even though the difference exists. The best club administrators (and player managers) are the ones who can tell an $800k player from a $900k player. Therefore the best administrators are the ones less likely to pay overs while the best player managers are the ones more likely to have their players getting paid too much.

Then obviously there is the case where a club has to pay more than they think players are worth just so they can get enough players. If the Tigers know that player X is worth $500k but the Roosters are also offering $500k, the Tigers won't get him if they only offer what he's worth. They have to pay overs. Across a whole squad that adds up to a weaker roster. Deadshits will criticise them for paying overs but the alternative is only signing players nobody wants. That wouldn't even come close to filling the salary cap.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Paul Kent (of all people) explained it best when he paraphrased his discussions with club decision makers responsible for contract negotiations. He said there's a material difference between an $800k and a $900k player (for example) and this difference affects the salary cap when applied to every player in the squad (obviously adjusted for less valuable players, e.g. the difference between a $400k and a $450k player). Kent said most of us can't tell the difference between an $800k player and a $900k player, even though the difference exists. The best club administrators (and player managers) are the ones who can tell an $800k player from a $900k player. Therefore the best administrators are the ones less likely to pay overs while the best player managers are the ones more likely to have their players getting paid too much.
It's a good thing that I can tell then. You merkins are damn lucky to have me around.

Latest posts