What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Is it purely money driving these decisions? These departures seem so different to what we expect as Eels supporters. We have, for so long worshiped at the feet of "stability" yet we now appear in the midst of a rebuild whilst still being offered "how close" we were and its just bad luck that ended our 2020/2021 dreams.
Gone are Smith, Stone, Hipgrave, Mahoney, Niukore, Lussick, Papalii, Ferguson and potentially Junior. Thats a fair chunk of our 2021 squad and based on the surprise that was Ray Stones departure, who's to say the carnage is over? Matterson? Kaufusi? Nrown? Sivo? Dunster? Opacic? Personally, I dont mind whats happening as Im a fan of change but this is quite significant. I must add Id hate to lose Drown from those unsigned though. I also fear we may not have "potential" players not realise that potential over one more season. Or are we to make a slash in the player market which appears self defeating unless the departing players arent really wanted?
Massive changes to our roster and new consultant coaches. Its all ok for mine. It makes one wonder why the 3 common denominators appear untouchable though. Or are they? What a massive year this will be for the 3 Amigos. Ill be cheering. A wise man once wrote. "Its very exciting".

Gazzamatta

Coach
Na……

Stone has only ever had 1 year deals at the eels,
and considering he is again going to be a fringe top 17 starter, there is no reason this wouId change….

Dolphins gave him a 2 year contract, so that along with the cheaper lifestyle in QLD and living near the beach, why wouldn’t Stone take the deal.

can’t see why this wouId cause any issue between BA and MON…..
Joshy, you will forever be the Yang to my Yin.

Is it purely money driving these decisions? These departures seem so different to what we expect as Eels supporters. We have, for so long worshiped at the feet of "stability" yet we now appear in the midst of a rebuild whilst still being offered "how close" we were and its just bad luck that ended our 2020/2021 dreams.
Gone are Smith, Stone, Hipgrave, Mahoney, Niukore, Lussick, Papalii, Ferguson and potentially Junior. Thats a fair chunk of our 2021 squad and based on the surprise that was Ray Stones departure, who's to say the carnage is over? Matterson? Kaufusi? Nrown? Sivo? Dunster? Opacic? Personally, I dont mind whats happening as Im a fan of change but this is quite significant. I must add Id hate to lose Drown from those unsigned though. I also fear we may not have "potential" players not realise that potential over one more season. Or are we to make a slash in the player market which appears self defeating unless the departing players arent really wanted?
Massive changes to our roster and new consultant coaches. Its all ok for mine. It makes one wonder why the 3 common denominators appear untouchable though. Or are they? What a massive year this will be for the 3 Amigos. Ill be cheering. A wise man once wrote. "Its very exciting".

A lot of the people you refer to are leaving in 2 seasons time. If you look at, say our 2019 squad (just those who got on the field in first grade) and see who was gone by 2021, you'd see the following players: Ma'u, Evans, Alvaro, Jennings, Jennings, Tepai, Salmon, Taka, Terepo, Gower, Parry, Hoffman.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mark and steve are barely seen together. I don't think they are that close tbh both have different interests and do things their own way. After reading a few of the cricketers autobiographies i reckon you couldn't find twins that are more opposite to one another

Junior even went to the trots and missed tugga's last ball 100 against England.
I’ve heard Junior say they lived in each other’s pockets for almost 40 years, so it’s only natural they sort of do their on thing these days.

Gazzamatta

Coach
A lot of the people you refer to are leaving in 2 seasons time. If you look at, say our 2019 squad (just those who got on the field in first grade) and see who was gone by 2021, you'd see the following players: Ma'u, Evans, Alvaro, Jennings, Jennings, Tepai, Salmon, Taka, Terepo, Gower, Parry, Hoffman.
Do you think the quality of both groups compare? Of that list Mau possibly and Jennings were quality but Ill never forget his 2018 and wonder why he improved in 19/20. It will be very exciting BOS.

Do you think the quality of both groups compare? Of that list Mau possibly and Jennings were quality but Ill never forget his 2018 and wonder why he improved in 19/20. It will be very exciting BOS.
I'm just saying that it's difficult to compare a 2-year change to a 1-year change. I'll tell you how excited I am when I see who is joining the club for 2023.

Eelogical

Referee
Na……

Stone has only ever had 1 year deals at the eels,
and considering he is again going to be a fringe top 17 starter, there is no reason this wouId change….

Dolphins gave him a 2 year contract, so that along with the cheaper lifestyle in QLD and living near the beach, why wouldn’t Stone take the deal.

can’t see why this wouId cause any issue between BA and MON…..
He could have also heard that I can show him around the place, keep him out of trouble.

JokerEel

Coach
You don't think we've had some decision making failures in attack? That's on our young spine. Obviously they're improving, but they would improve their decision making a whole lot quicker if a very smart operator was brought in.

Not saying I want Mahoney replaced immediately, but that's a reason you'd swap him for Hodgson.

That's the only reason we would go for Hodgson this year if Reed wants to go now. He has improved decision making but on old legs.

You expecting better players but cheaper? I guess thats the conundrum.

Well, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily buy a better hooker than Reed, say, but with the money you didn't spend you can upgrade other spots on the roster. You might also end up with a hooker who spends more games on the field than Reed. There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before the start of the 2023 season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Healthy squad turnover.

eels_fan

First Grade
If we lose junior we’d have close on $2.5m free for 2023 (if not more).

there are always mid season moves and opportunities for players who are not even off contract to move.

i feel 2023 may be a re-building-ish year, we should be competitive but will have a lot of players coming together for the first time, but I’m confident we’ll be able to get some solid acquisitions and also promote from within.

JokerEel

Coach
Funny, I'm hearing it too. Apparently the Dogs are trying to shop two so they can fit him in. Dunno if the story has legs but it's out there.
They need to ship 2 players at the moment to register the players they have signed for 23. They will need to move on a few more to fit Jnr