What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't rate "anyone" that plays NRL as a teenager. There are probably hundreds that have played NRL over the last lets say 20 years that have not gone on to have NRL careers or have been just very average players overall. Some players just mature earlier mentally and or physically then others. I watch how they handle themselves and see how they respond to adversity and setbacks. Are they improving from game to game and season to season? What is their body type, speed and strength for the position they play? Are they having a positive impact on the game or nonexistent or detrimental? These are some of the things to look for and then there is personality too. But that is much harder to judge correctly, because some of the biggest merkins have been some of the games greatest.

But overall, just because a teenager has made it to the NRL, doesn't mean a whole lot really other then he has beaten a bunch of his mates to the punch. But it could be for a whole lot of reasons and not necessarily that he is going to be a quality long term NRL player or he just doesn't take the next step. The trick is to stay there and a whole lot don't.

Most of us rated Robson, but only as an average player, which is what he was. No more, no less.
Becoming an 'average player' in the NRL is a massive achievement, especially for a teenager. That's why Jeff Robson II is no criticism of a youngster.

hindy111

Post Whore
He was never established in the NRL and in any case he was almost 21 when he debuted. Definitely not a teenager.

However to clarify I am talking about teenagers who are part of the top 17, not blokes who play a handful of games because their club is smashed with injuries.

So where do you see our current crop of juniors going in our career?

yy_cheng

Coach
Spot on Hindy, but I even though Moses running game is better then Cleary's at present, I feel that this is the part of Cleary's game that he can improve on quite a bit if he chose to. He is big and powerful with decent speed for a half. If he chose to run more I feel he would have a lot more success and at the very least would equal Moses's running game at present. But Moses is more dynamic and faster though.

The thing I like about Cleary is he plays the game as a team. Like a Roman General making use of his strengths against an opponent's weakness.

Moses still plays a little like an individual at times or off the cuff. But Moses has improved alot but I think it is a mental thing and the fact that his has more natural physical ability than Cleary.

yy_cheng

Coach
Nathan Davis? Some are duds.

I'd like to see more of Russel. He seems to be hyped up a lot. I can't make a call yet but he seems to lack explosiveness from the little I have seen. But sample size is very very small.
I'm just unsure if he will be more a Dunster level or Penisini level.
Yeah, I too would like to see Russell. At present he reminds me of a young Joel Reddy. Dunster improved alot last year and I hope Russell gets his chance to and end up like Kenny.

I was watching a 1991 game between Parra and Great Britain. Kenny was the remaining player from the 80s.
Whenever he got the ball, he just looks like he has soo much time. Like Mark Waugh batting. Everything was silky, smooth and slow ... no rush of the head.

I only compare Russell to Kenny because I've read from forumites that he moves like Kenny

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah, I too would like to see Russell. At present he reminds me of a young Joel Reddy. Dunster improved alot last year and I hope Russell gets his chance to and end up like Kenny.

I was watching a 1991 game between Parra and Great Britain. Kenny was the remaining player from the 80s.
Whenever he got the ball, he just looks like he has soo much time. Like Mark Waugh batting. Everything was silky, smooth and slow ... no rush of the head.

I only compare Russell to Kenny because I've read from forumites that he moves like Kenny

Yeah he seemed to be hyped up. He is a good size but I need to see more of him. I didn't see any explosiveness or raw power to suggest he will a dynamic player. But his skill set might be based around that of a fullbacks.

Cloeel

Juniors
Knights need a hooker. If we could send them Mahoney for Klemmer and try and get Hodgson early it would be a tidy bit of business.

If Starling is sweet with his court stuff and gets cleared - this could definitely work. I certainly would not be against it.

yy_cheng

Coach
Knights need a hooker. If we could send them Mahoney for Klemmer and try and get Hodgson early it would be a tidy bit of business.
Yeah, I would do that if Klemmer is on for 3 years.

We will need him more in 2023-24. I also think Rein will do a job just as good as Mahoney

I'm actually looking forward to Hodgson. I think he can add a point of difference in attack to keep the defense guessing whether the ball will goto Moses and Guth. As long as he keeps fit

I would also then play one of the youngsters at 14 to complement him.

TheRam

Coach
The thing I like about Cleary is he plays the game as a team. Like a Roman General making use of his strengths against an opponent's weakness.

Moses still plays a little like an individual at times or off the cuff. But Moses has improved alot but I think it is a mental thing and the fact that his has more natural physical ability than Cleary.

Good assessment on Cleary mate. That is exactly how he plays and will only get better at it. Our Moses has still a ways to go on that score, but as you say he has gotten a lot better at it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So where do you see our current crop of juniors going in our career?
Penisini is the only sure thing IMO, by which I mean he is the only one who I'm confident will play 200 NRL games. Of the rest of the dudes with less than 20 games under their belts (including Russell, Arthur and Greig) I wouldn't be surprised if they played 100 games, but also wouldn't be surprised if they never did. Anything can happen. But Penisini is the real deal.

hindy111

Post Whore
Penisini is the only sure thing IMO, by which I mean he is the only one who I'm confident will play 200 NRL games. If the rest of the dudes with less than 20 games under their belts (including Russell, Arthur and Greig) I wouldn't be surprised if they played 100 games, but also wouldn't be surprised if they never did. Anything can happen. But Penisini is the real deal.

Agree. Naiduki has the physical attributes to be good also. Unsure his skill level thou.But if knows how to catch and defend he has the raw power and speed. Built like a tank.

I liked what I've seen of Hollis but I get impression he isn't rated that highly. I felt he covers ground in defense very well. Perhaps his run game is to weak for NRL but I'd need to see more.

I have a feeling Hands might be a suprise packet of the bunch.😉

yy_cheng

Coach
Agree. Naiduki has the physical attributes to be good also. Unsure his skill level thou.But if knows how to catch and defend he has the raw power and speed. Built like a tank.

I liked what I've seen of Hollis but I get impression he isn't rated that highly. I felt he covers ground in defense very well. Perhaps his run game is to weak for NRL but I'd need to see more.

I have a feeling Hands might be a suprise packet of the bunch.😉
Is Naiduki like Olam... would be fantastic if he was...

Naiduki and Penisini