What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
That only works if you have pressure and quality coming in from the lower grades or you have the pulling power to sign a like for like or better player for the original amount you were willing to pay or even less.

What do people think will happen to us next season?

I'm unsure. Cause we still have this side

Gutherson
Sivo
Pensini
Blake
Russel
Brown
Moses
Jnr
Hodgson
Rcg
Lane
???
Maybe Matterson

That's basicaly the same side.

The bench is

N.Brown
Makatoa

So we have 3- 4 spots to fill.

Greig,Rodwell,Yates,Hands, Cartwright all may push into contention. We may also sign a few.
Do we write Morreti off?

I'd be suprised if a few kids from under 20s aren't also pushing through.

The bugger concern for me is 2024/2025 when Gutherson,Jnr and RCG may start the decline.

yy_cheng

Coach

Gutherson
Sivo
Pensini
Blake
Russel
Brown
Moses
Jnr
Hodgson
Rcg
Lane
???
Maybe Matterson

The bench is

N.Brown
Makatoa

Greig,Rodwell,Yates,Hands, Cartwright all may push into contention. We may also sign a few.
Do we write Morreti off?

The bugger concern for me is 2024/2025 when Gutherson,Jnr and RCG may start the decline.

For 2023 - losing some strike and aggression when Marata, Ice and Matto leave. The 13-17 so far are plodders

For 2024 - the concern is whether we still have 1 or both of the halves. Unless we find a half who can kick (Townsend, Reynolds) then keep Drown. Otherwise, we need to keep Moses. Obviously want both.

Another option is to get a fullback who kicks long. Hayne used to doing clearing kicks for us from Fullback. Can Russell kick long? Then shift Guth to 6, Drown 7 with a big ass kicking fullback. Someone like Dueley (sp)

TheRam

Coach
We do still have our core of senior players. You might say dudes like Gutherson and RCG are easily replaced but that doesn't recognise the value of leadership and experience in a rugby league squad. This is what enabled merkins like Papali'i and Niukore to become the players they are.

Look at Bennett's first signings at Redcliffe. A core of experienced senior forwards. He knows how club culture is built and it isn't around flashy marquees.

So far the flashy marquees have eluded him but he is trying very hard to catch one on his substantial and well baited shiny new hook. If he can't manage it his team will be filled with a bunch of hard working plodders and the results will be less then impressive and guess what? He knows it too.

You on the other hand love a plodder and guess what? We all know that too.

So you can stick your plodder love up your plughole and let the big boys dart the glamour pusses while you never go past holding hands on long walks in secluded parks feeding your plumpers cherry ripes and sweating that those broad smiles, cheerful glances and shyly giggles mean that they will finally relent and the plugging will at last commence, even with your less then substantial offering, right there on the spread out picnic blanket under the large maple tree, while she is still clutching onto those empty cherry ripe wrappers. Oh wait, that's a different movie.

Anyway you get the idea.

TheRam

Coach
Compared to if we’d matched massive offers for our own players?

Compared to if we had better pulling power and retention. Makes spending the full non player salary of $5m to include a great coach seem like a smart and safer and maybe cheaper alternative to having a coach that is very one dimensional and can't manage to hold a decent squad together that can't even go past week two in the semis.

Also where is the pressure coming from the lower grades? He has been here for almost a decade and we are still to see us produce any SOO or Australian players other then Junior. Also we can't seem to be able to hold on to the better ones coming through either.

So much for the adage, juniors will stay for less since they are coming through our system, with their mates and learning to love their club. I suppose that only rings true if you have a coach that they are willing to stay and play for. Hmmm...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Don’t think 2023 will be that bad:

Marata has hardly contributed to our side this year
Papa - goes good, obviously needs to be replaced
Mahoney - if Hodgson stays on the field we don’t lose much.
Kafusi - hardly been a game changer
Matterson - hopefully keep.

We are still looking for replacements too, so can’t factor that in.

No one in 2023 will be a massive decline, plus our young backs have a bit of improvement in them.

WouId be nice to get a young forward into the 17.

yy_cheng

Coach
Don’t think 2023 will be that bad:

Marata has hardly contributed to our side this year
Papa - goes good, obviously needs to be replaced
Mahoney - if Hodgson stays on the field we don’t lose much.
Kafusi - hardly been a game changer
Matterson - hopefully keep.

We are still looking for replacements too, so can’t factor that in.

No one in 2023 will be a massive decline, plus our young backs have a bit of improvement in them.

WouId be nice to get a young forward into the 17.
Yeah but we're not really seeing the world on fire. We are very inconsistent

TheRam

Coach

Gutherson
Sivo
Pensini
Blake
Russel
Brown
Moses
Jnr
Hodgson
Rcg
Lane
???
Maybe Matterson

The bench is

N.Brown
Makatoa

Do we write Morreti off?

The way I see it Hindy, unless we can add some real elite quality to our roster next season and we are still under this coach, then the squad that we put out next season will be way inferior to this seasons. And by real quality I mean representative type of quality. They don't need to have represented yet, but they need to be of the type that can and will as they mature and get even better.

None of our juniors are even close to rep level and even Penisini, who I rate very highly, will probably miss out on playing SOO or for Australia because he is a very good all rounder but not brilliant or super fast like some of the others in his position. There would need to be quite a few injuries and unavailability's for him to ever get a jersey. Not saying he will never be in the frame, but the chances of him being in the top 5 centres including TT and LM is very unlikely. We haven't produced a NSW centre since Judas or a QLD one since Willie Tonga and they both pissed off and played their best footy at other clubs.

Sorry to be so negative, but I feel that this season is going to be our last chance saloon for quite some time. Like I said before, would anyone really be all that surprised if we hit 50 years without a premiership? I know a lot can happen from year 36 to 50, but have we really shown that we know how to be ruthless and make the hard calls in particular with the coaching aspect of things? The hierarchy seem to think as long as we are doing ok and making the semis things are good and the coach as long as he is working hard and the players like him then all is good and we will eventually get there.

But I don't see it that way at all. I want to see a level of improvement in the great players we have that doesn't fade in and out of games or not turn up at all when they should. I want to see a marked improvement from one season to the next in particular in defense like the Cowboys have done under essentially a rookie coach this season. I want to see us not fail in successive final series and then repeat the same style and predictable footy that contributed to that failure again the next season without any real changes to the way we play or the assistants that helped train the player to play like they do.

So seeing that management seems to be happy to maintain the status quo for at least another season, well then next season will be a bust for sure seeing that we will most probably have an even weaker roster and then by 2024 who knows what condition our older players will be in and what type of rebuilding the coach, whoever he is, will need to undertake and start climbing the ladder of true contenders again.

Remember our club and players aren't known for being the most resilient lot. So as soon as they get a whiff and feel of being also rans they will drop off that little percent that it only takes to blown off the park and huge scores put on you as a result. I think that this is what we will have to look forward to from next season.

But hey, that is next season, so lets just hope and pray that our Mr Magic, love the collision, super coach can truly pull off a major miracle and win the damn thing and put us all out of our misery.

Gronk

Staff member
Remember our club and players aren't known for being the most resilient lot. So as soon as they get a whiff and feel of being also rans they will drop off that little percent that it only takes to blown off the park and huge scores put on you as a result.
Rubbish. Most games this year we have actually shown resilience and come from behind to win. You need to get some new material cos your current stuff is out of date.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So far the flashy marquees have eluded him but he is trying very hard to catch one on his substantial and well baited shiny new hook. If he can't manage it his team will be filled with a bunch of hard working plodders and the results will be less then impressive and guess what? He knows it too.

You on the other hand love a plodder and guess what? We all know that too.

So you can stick your plodder love up your plughole and let the big boys dart the glamour pusses while you never go past holding hands on long walks in secluded parks feeding your plumpers cherry ripes and sweating that those broad smiles, cheerful glances and shyly giggles mean that they will finally relent and the plugging will at last commence, even with your less then substantial offering, right there on the spread out picnic blanket under the large maple tree, while she is still clutching onto those empty cherry ripe wrappers. Oh wait, that's a different movie.

Anyway you get the idea.
Plod Plod Escobar.

TheRam

Coach
Rubbish. Most games this year we have actually shown resilience and come from behind to win. You need to get some new material cos your current stuff is out of date.

Read a little more carefully. I was referring to our well known history and what happens to us when we are a team that aren't a legitimate contender. We have shown that we fall right off in many games and large scores against us follow. Hell even this year we lose a few outside backs and we are a yo yo team that no one can confidently predict from week to week which Parra will turn up on any given weekend.

Can you confidently predict how will we perform against the Raiders this week? I know we should smash them if we played to our potential, but I am definitely not confident and in fact probably slightly favour them since it is being played down in Canberra.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
2 points from second spot, beaten both of the top sides. All with a mini injury crisis.

Yeah we are inconsistent and defence is concerning at times, but a fairly decent start to set up a strong finish hopefully
I think it’s more than mini to be honest. I also think it’s been drastically overlooked by the media and to a degree, footy fans.

There’s been a few results that have annoyed all of us but fingers crossed we can get a good rub of the green with injuries for the remainder of the season.