What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
Do what? The claim is that he needed a club for 2023 but had already signed for 24 back with Cowboys, I assume that's why the Warriors didn't see him in their plans as they have Johnson, Metcalf and Volkman.
Why would we sign him, give him opportunity and send him back the year later.

I get it if we had a number injuries in that position or he's like super experienced and it's just before the aug deadline.

JokerEel

First Grade

I get it if we had a number injuries in that position or he's like super experienced and it's just before the aug deadline.

Yeah I think it's weird we develop him for a season knowing he isn't going to be here in 24...

I think he has come across due to Nathan Brown being at the club.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

Well one possible explanation is that he is not top 30 as I think Pou suggested earlier in the week. He might never be sighted in first grade. I don't even know if it's true, but most criticised the club last year for JA being our only backup half, so they fixed that. And if they really think that Sanders is developing well then we don't want Asi to be blocking him in 2024. Seems wise to me.

yy_cheng

Coach
Well one possible explanation is that he is not top 30 as I think Pou suggested earlier in the week. He might never be sighted in first grade. I don't even know if it's true, but most criticised the club last year for JA being our only backup half, so they fixed that. And if they really think that Sanders is developing well then we don't want Asi to be blocking him in 2024. Seems wise to me.
What we should do is develop our next fullback and then JA and Guth are our backup halves.

We need whoever, Russell or Simonssen, to really own the fullback position at NSW Cup level.

So when the situation arises and we lose 2 halves, Guth can slot in there and the backup Fullback goes in.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
What we should do is develop our next fullback and then JA and Guth are our backup halves.

We need whoever, Russell or Simonssen, to really own the fullback position at NSW Cup level.

So when the situation arises and we lose 2 halves, Guth can slot in there and the backup Fullback goes in.
We aren't going to lose 2 halves.

Gronk

Staff member
Then why do we need another backup half? JA would be enough.

Also, there is also the possibility to Hodgo goes to half.

We lost an abundant of wingers last year.
It is curious, considering that Asi is not yet listed as top 30 or dev yet. Then again, the Eels have been featuring him quite heavily on socials.

Chipmunk

Coach
The merkins on the latest Bloke in a Bar podcast reckon Asi is a one year only and going back to Cowboys in 24. Interesting if true.
Again, he isn't listed as a signing on the NRL team list, he isn't in the Team on the club's website, the club announcement was that he had just 'signed'.

I suspect he has just been bought in for comic relief for the NRL side at this stage. You'd expect he is only a NSW Cup signing if he will return to the Cowboys in 2024.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The same reason you sign any player for a year. Or if you signed them for longer, don’t re-sign them when there’s a year to go on their contract. This happens all the time at every club.

Latest posts