What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Not saying I disagree with you but why do you think it’d be a bad move?

He is a merkin that wants to play fullback. We have a merkin that is better then him as a fullback. But both merkins are average centres and merkin AJ will get his nose out of joint if we eventually decide to play him at centre just like he has at the Tits.

So why would we bother bringing in a player in that isn't going to strengthen the side in the position/positions we are weakest in, wing or centre?

We need to be signing a centre or winger otherwise if we sign a fullback, then Gutho who is on around $900K will be the most over priced average centre in the game.

Gronk

Staff member
AJB is a beautiful runner of the ball and doesn't have a stupid haircut. Exactly what we are looking for.

84 Baby

Referee
He is a merkin that wants to play fullback. We have a merkin that is better then him as a fullback. But both merkins are average centres and merkin AJ will get his nose out of joint if we eventually decide to play him at centre just like he has at the Tits.

So why would we bother bringing in a player in that isn't going to strengthen the side in the position/positions we are weakest in, wing or centre?

We need to be signing a centre or winger otherwise if we sign a fullback, then Gutho who is on around $900K will be the most over priced average centre in the game.
Yeah I agree (although I think he does strengthen our centres). I don’t think it’s a bad idea, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best idea.
As I also said though he is a very very good player and we’d be mad not to entertain it, but ultimately unless he’s coming here to play centre for at least 2 years and at not very high price tag then it’s probably not worth it to us, and coming for that probably isn’t worth it to Brimson.

But also be careful saying you don’t want Brimson, because you may be accused of being a Morgan Harper lover

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Pou said he was our own superstar Kikau style edge forward.
I said he might play Origin, and would definitely play first grade. But he's not looking good right now. He didn't play in round one and only played 22 minutes against Penrith. Has he been injured?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just went up to the the 3rd story of my house and had a look out the window at the harbour. Looks like rain is coming.
Hows the weather looking out in the burbs of Perth?
I don't even need to look out the window to tell you it's warm and sunny and laid back here. It's always like this. Hope you're not having to drive to too many jobs in peak hour.

The Colonel

Immortal
In saying all that Gutho to centre just doesn't make sense to me and never has. Yeh he will do a job but you take away from all his natural strengths and he doesn't have the power/speed to be a 'strike' centre. Only positives potentially are his ability to set up his outside man and maybe a bit of an aerial threat which we have lacked for years.

I think the difference would be with Gutherson at centre is you can allow him to have a similar role to that of Manu at the Roosters and he can "float" around the field in attack. He certainly would give us more strike in the centre role than what we have currently.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It means plan A & B didn't work but maybe plan C will. As in war every general has a plan which quickly goes out the window and by the end of the week they're onto plan Q. A different plan doesn't mean they're worse than the previous plan, it just didn't work against that particular opposition.
The plan is based on the situation. In this case the situation was that we lost a centre and the plan was to replace him with Tuilagi off the bench. When he got injured the plan was to replace him with Cartwright and move Matterson to the right edge. As we saw, that really hurt us in the middle. There's no proof that bringing on Hands and moving Drown to centre would have been better; Martin and Edwards would've had a field day against him. Lane and Drown have a strong combination in attack and defence.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think the difference would be with Gutherson at centre is you can allow him to have a similar role to that of Manu at the Roosters and he can "float" around the field in attack. He certainly would give us more strike in the centre role than what we have currently.

I don't like the idea of a "floating" centre for us. We rely heavily on offloads to break the opposition's defence and then a shift to the edges. If you have a centre allowed to roam then that means well potentially have 1 less attacker on the shift from an offload. I'd rather us have a centre that rucks we'll, runs a nice line and can tackle. Basically another Penisini would be perfect.

The Colonel

Immortal
I don't like the idea of a "floating" centre for us. We rely heavily on offloads to break the opposition's defence and then a shift to the edges. If you have a centre allowed to roam then that means well potentially have 1 less attacker on the shift from an offload. I'd rather us have a centre that rucks we'll, runs a nice line and can tackle. Basically another Penisini would be perfect.

Or you end up with an extra attacking player and a shift away from predictability....

Each to their own I guess.