What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Watch the Raiders game on replay. The opposition was offloading or landing on their front at will whenever he was involved in contact.
Even after watching, the stats show he missed seven tackles. I’m just saying it’s not due to lack of physicality, it’s because he doesn’t know how to get himself in the right position.

Gherkin

Juniors
Blaize will end up about 95kgs I would guess. What would Dylan be 90?
His defense will be fine. Id expect it will be 2026/2027 before it is great
Blaize's poor defense isn't necessarily due to his size. It's mainly technique and attitude. He was a poor defender in juniors as well.

Glenneel

Bench
Rejuvenation? Start with Trey Mooney for Sanders.
Also be happy with Schiller.
Sanders isnt even top 30 so no need to get bent over.
Schiller looks solid but not a super fast winger but has several good attributes, tall, aggressive and can also play centre. Not sure bout Trey, looks small to me.

Glenneel

Bench
Galvin was already moving away from him at the point of contact. That benefits the attacker. The key to defence is to get your body in front, which starts with correct positioning at the play the ball. That takes the fend out of play. Talagi is fast and strong, and used to being able to make up ground on attackers who get outside him in the lower grades. He made 20 tackles against the Tigers, so he can obviously tackle. The problem was our effort was down and so our edge defenders didn’t get as much help from the inside as yours did.
Yes our normal 3-4 consecutive games of shit started earlier this year then normal, hopefully we've got that out of our system for the rest of the season, hopeful but not completely convinced. That this happens to us each year convinces me that BA still has plenty of deficiencies in his coaching approach as other teams don't seem to have this perennial problem.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes our normal 3-4 consecutive games of shit started earlier this year then normal, hopefully we've got that out of our system for the rest of the season, hopeful but not completely convinced. That this happens to us each year convinces me that BA still has plenty of deficiencies in his coaching approach as other teams don't seem to have this perennial problem.
Most teams go through it every year. Is it their coach or senior players?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You assume clubs have someone better to replace them with. The senior players are senior for a reason ffs

And bad runs of form usually end, often after one or two games, even without dropping senior players. Usually it’s the backups who get shuffled.

Would runs of bad form be shorter if the seniors all got dropped? There’s no evidence for it. That’s why it’s a last resort.

JokerEel

Coach
Coach as the buck stops with him. He should be getting the Senior Players attitude right and if not, drop them. The coach picks the team

Yep if you can't get the senior players as a coach to buy into what you are selling then you will be out of a job pretty quickly...

TheCrowe

Juniors
Schiller looks solid but not a super fast winger but has several good attributes, tall, aggressive and can also play centre. Not sure bout Trey, looks small to me.
I thought in the few long runs Ive seen him make he looked pretty quick but not always easy to judge.
Im hoping one day to see Russell get in the clear.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I don't think Russell has been horrible certainly defensively that side has been better then other side.

But in saying that i would like to see more in attack.

Something about BA coached sides though the right winger catches a cold when attacking the tryline.

Fergo nearly went through a whole season not scoring a try where Russell is playing now.

Bailey Simmonson scored 3 tries in 18 games as Right side winger in 2022 as well.

How hard is it to set up attacking plays and structures inside the 20m where you can create an overlap on both sides.

16 other sides do it easily. We haven't got a clue when we go right.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
I don't think Russell has been horrible certainly defensively that side has been better then other side.

But in saying that i would like to see more in attack.

Something about BA coached sides though the right winger catches a cold when attacking the tryline.

Fergo nearly went through a whole season not scoring a try where Russell is playing now.

Bailey Simmonson scored 3 tries in 18 games as Right side winger in 2022 as well.

How hard is it to set up attacking plays and structures inside the 20m where you can create an overlap on both sides.

16 other sides do it easily. We haven't got a clue when we go right.
Defensively he is at 80% efficiency which is ok i suppose for a winger. He's only averaging just under 7 tackles a game so you would hope it would be higher.

And he only averages 103m a game. Charlie Staines (another shit winger) is averaging 142.

emjaycee

Coach
Defensively he is at 80% efficiency which is ok i suppose for a winger. He's only averaging just under 7 tackles a game so you would hope it would be higher.

And he only averages 103m a game. Charlie Staines (another shit winger) is averaging 142.
I'm with you @Noise, Russel has been disappointing this year for mine.

84 Baby

Referee
He hasn’t been bad, but he needs to get more involved. Teams always kick to Sivo’s side so obviously he misses that “easy” involvement, but he needs to get more hitups early after kicks. And when he does, he’s been pretty good at them. Just needs to do it more

hindy111

Post Whore
Russel is average. He also wouldn't cost a lot. I think he is fine if he is the worse player in our backline. Once Lomax comes and Balize develops there is a high chance he will be that and that's fine. Problem is this year Simmonson and Harper are behind him.

Latest posts