What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Souths had a termination clause with payout terms in JD’s contract he signed in the off season. They had reason too given they’d gone from first to missing finals just before they re-signed him.

BA’s extension came after a grand final appearance, you reckon our muppet management put a fixed termination payout clause in his deal? Haha
Just like all the players we probably gave him an option to extend in his favour whenever he feels like.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m no expert on player negotiations mate but I negotiate for a living. The club negotiated a lose lose situation for itself.
Then you’d know negotiation is about give and take. When you give a player a PO you get something in return. Player options for young players are a very very small concession, just like when ageing players agree to an option in the club’s favour.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know I keep banging on about us having a decent talent identifier, and none of us ar that, or close enough to him, or watch him train every week.

We re all just fans who want to see the club do well and many of us have opposing views on some players.

This is why smart clubs make the right decisions becuase they have the right people making these decisions, we don't.
Since 2019 we have outperformed the majority of clubs. We are doing okay.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm just waiting for the day that pou says the club made a terrible decision about something....

I don't know whether I will see a premiership before that or die first...
How would any of us know whether a decision was good or bad without knowing all the details? We can only see results, which are an aggregate of a multitude of decisions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I bet neither of those clubs have 5 players with POs though.

Matto, Penisini have ones as well.

Drown and Moses still have them.

Seems like MON is handing them out like lollies to all our gun players.

Gutho is the only premium player that we have that doesn't have a PO.
POs are a way to keep player prices down. Without them merkins would cost more and push others out of the squad.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I really don't understand the sudden kerfuffle about player options. In the case of Blaize.....how is he holding the club to ransom any more than he would be if his contract finished in 2024 with no options? We'd be competing with other clubs for his signature from 2025 onwards. We are currently competing with other clubs for his signature for the same period, because if we want him to sign for longer, we'll no doubt offer to upgrade his 2025 deal and the PO becomes redundant. The PO is only a problem if we don't want to keep him.

Yeh, we've got 5 players with POs (and we don't know the exercise price), but they're not exercisable at the same time (1 for 2025, 3 for 2026 and 1 for 2027). Of all the problems with our recruitment performance, this seems to me like a 5th order issue, and is well behind things like the positions of focus.
Yeah maybe we are just overreacting, things really are really going great and the club couldn’t be in better hands. I mean MON just keeps delivering and we shouldn’t question him, the club or any of the decisions made. I mean to only have 27 players in the top 30 8 rounds into the season with absolutely no depth in the outside backs is probably a stroke of pure genius.

I mean giving an 18 year old kid who had never played against men an option in his favour seems like real shrewd business lm sure all the top clubs do it as well………

Wally21

Bench
Then you’d know negotiation is about give and take. When you give a player a PO you get something in return. Player options for young players are a very very small concession, just like when ageing players agree to an option in the club’s favour.
None of us know what happened in the negotiation and we never will. The point made about 6700 posts ago was simply, why would we give a junior player a PO, it seems a very weak position the club has taken. For a Harry Grant, I understand it. For a 17 year old junior (at the time) it seems to me to be ludicrous and poor negotiation.
That’s my opinion. You are entitled to yours.
What I don’t care for is to go round and round and round with you to get absolutely no where, for your entertainment. So I’ll leave it there

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Everyone seems to be very confused as to who does what at the club. One day it's BA, the next it's MON.

Do you really think that the club would put ink on deals with Moses and Brown worth circa $15M without the board being all over it from the beginning ?
Merkins seem to think the salary cap isn’t a factor either.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Raiders figured it out.
What do we need?: A half
Which team has quality half coming through that is blocked by 2 very highly paid halves on long contracts? Parra.
OK lets steal their half.
I suspect he is going to Canberra because they’ve offered him a lot of money. Not exactly a steal.

But of course we’ll never know.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I honestly am not that fussed on Blaize's option personally - I think if he stays it would be fine, as he has a lot of potential, but I also know that he has real defensive frailties, so I get that people aren't fussed on keeping him

Excellent deflection though - would still like to know why you think there is no change needed and why more of the same will turn this club around...
Is it possible the only change needs to occur within the playing group?

Tiger5150

Bench
It is a tricky situation for Parramatta. Talagi is keen to prove himself at fullback, while the club is mindful of not throwing him in before he is ready. It’s a similar balance they’ve tried to strike with Ethan Sanders.
*mindful of pumping up his market value before he triggers the option

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wouldn't matter how interested Wayne is in the Parra job.
How interested do you reckon he is, and what is it based on? It might be great for his legacy to win the comp here but that depends on having the resources to do so. He won less than half his games in Newcastle while they were owned by a f**king billionaire ffs