What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

the phantom menace

First Grade
If they want Wayne Bennett, they should tell no one except Wayne Bennett. Then go and sign him. Then tell the current bloke.
Which sadly is apparently what the board have failed to do, by issuing the statement that they met and decided not to respond to apparent interest from Wayne.

TheRam

Coach
Matto if switched on still offers a lot. Against Manly he was great.
Lane I am unsure whats going on but hasn't played well since the semi in Nth Qld. Maybe the humidity did him in and never recovered.

His new "no highs no lows" mantra. Means he plays flat just like the plod lover here likes it. Must be closest to his favourite player by now.

Zoso

Juniors
Struggling to find decent/comprehensive bios on the board but from what I can find they’re middle and senior corporate management types.
The type of people who act more as custodians of an existing thing, not entrepreneurial builders or enterprising risk takers. Same can be said of CEO.
Not to say they don’t want success and aren’t competitive in their own way (I wouldn’t know) but from my experience those types don’t have the same take no prisoners, win or die trying hunger, hard arse entrepreneur types have.

Both types have their place but I reckon if we had a win or die trying attitude and not a ‘I did my job and followed the process’ corporate type, we would have made an offer for Bennett.

All speculation on my part, I don’t have any little birds or insiders.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Did they issue a Statement, or is this a Statement from the third party not actually associated with Wayne Bennett?
Well statement is maybe the wrong word, but in the Herald article the "sources with knowledge of the situation, who requested anonymity in order to speak freely" seemed to share a lot of inside information of the Parra Board's meeting schedule and decision - info which a third party associated with Bennett would not likely have had (other than a "no thanks" or a "we'll get back to you about that sometime").

And we have form in leaking like a sieve at times.

the phantom menace

First Grade
You have to wonder, if the board won’t move on BA for Wayne Bennett, arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game, then they are not going to move him on for anyone else.

BA will be our coach through to Round 27, 2025.
Unless we have the last round bye... and start the farewell Bali trip early.

Chipmunk

Coach
wow….

you make it sound like it’s as easy as making toast…
My point was that I wouldn't be mentioning it in the media...After all, Wayne's last few eventual gigs weren't really played out in the media (compared to the red herring gig)...which makes the Souths thing a bit strange (if it actually eventuates).

Stagger eel

Staff member
what If the club publicly ( or privately) declared their interest to sign the old goat…do any of you seriously believe with another player vying for his signature that old Wayne isn’t going to drag it out for months?

it’s Wayne Bennett ffs….the master manipulator who’s been playing the media to his benefit all his coaching career! …

what if we had a massive crack and then in the 11th hour turns around signs with souths? ..then what?

do you think going through this drama won’t affect us more negatively if we missed out on him?

personally, I’m that the club has made the decision and avoid months of heartache and anguish and instability whilst he makes a decision.

Stagger eel

Staff member
My point was that I wouldn't be mentioning it in the media...After all, Wayne's last few eventual gigs weren't really played out in the media (compared to the red herring gig)...which makes the Souths thing a bit strange (if it actually eventuates).

we wouldn’t be mentioning it to the media but rest assured they’ll have their grubby gingers in eve pie with that one.

Zoso

Juniors
what If the club publicly ( or privately) declared their interest to sign the old goat…do any of you seriously believe with another player vying for his signature that old Wayne isn’t going to drag it out for months?

it’s Wayne Bennett ffs….the master manipulator who’s been playing the media to his benefit all his coaching career! …

what if we had a massive crack and then in the 11th hour turns around signs with souths? ..then what?

do you think going through this drama won’t affect us more negatively if we missed out on him?

personally, I’m that the club has made the decision and avoid months of heartache and anguish and instability whilst he makes a decision.
Yeah I can see that lose/lose scenario playing out.

eels_fan

First Grade

More negative than we are now? We’re lucky Souths are an absolute rabble or we’d be last.

Wayne has to let Dolphins know within a month if he is staying on board with them, this won’t be dragged out as he won’t do the dirty on the club he has set up. Now we’ve pulled our hat out of the ring, he’ll be signed by souths within 2 weeks

Stagger eel

Staff member
More negative than we are now? We’re lucky Souths are an absolute rabble or we’d be last.

Wayne has to let Dolphins know within a month if he is staying on board with them, this won’t be dragged out as he won’t do the dirty on the club he has set up. Now we’ve pulled our hat out of the ring, he’ll be signed by souths within 2 weeks

well it would be dragged out if he still has to choose between both clubs..