What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
No, what you guys have jumped on is the speculation that the board have decided to give BA every opportunity to turn this around.

There is no doubt that the board sits at regular intervals and it would be incumbent on them to discuss the performance of the team including BA.

Like you, I listen to podcasts and watch NRL shows. I lap them up. What is obvious is that these journos take a snippet of info and extrapolate it into a story. They join the dots based on what they perceive is logic. I hear them actually brain storm speculation or narratives on the Telecrap or 2MMM podcast. The flip flop based on what they like the sound of best. Sometimes Ready will start with a narrative and then after chatting it over with Chammas or Rothfield, they will arrive at a totally different story. I hear Ready say "I like that". Like he has accepted a more saleable story for clicks.

I have little faith on the inside information being anything other than "there was a board meeting" and maybe to the answer re: Bennett "nothing was resolved". From there I reckon the rest of the story is just join the dots and merkins here (who already have an entrenched bias) want to believe it. Me, I'm more of an agnostic about a lot of things and in this case I know that there could be multiple scenarios playing out. PLUS the mindset would be very much framed around not dragging us through a basketcase situation like many many clubs have been through in the past. Every coach transition involving Phil Gould has ended up ugly. Hasler got chopped by the dogs then by Manly (is still in court with Manly). The only thing I am positive about it that they will be desperately wanting to avoid this.
I agree with you here. Read who knows nothing, speculates something then someone like Rothfield sprinkle more bullshit on it and before you know they cut and paste the conversation into a click bait story.

Easily your best post this year. Your next pljeskavica is on me.

84 Baby

Referee
Something else Carayannis said was a lot of the core are the wrong side of 30 so if we’re going to do something it needs to be soon.
I don’t think we’re winning a premiership with this playing group and BA. Lomax is not enough to change the equation. We need either significant change in players, or a new person to redevelop the players here. Only one of those is really feasible in short term.
And I don’t want to give muckrakers ideas, but I do wonder how those older players feel about it

emjaycee

Coach
Something else Carayannis said was a lot of the core are the wrong side of 30 so if we’re going to do something it needs to be soon.
I don’t think we’re winning a premiership with this playing group and BA. Lomax is not enough to change the equation. We need either significant change in players, or a new person to redevelop the players here. Only one of those is really feasible in short term.
And I don’t want to give muckrakers ideas, but I do wonder how those older players feel about it
Those older players would first and foremost want to keep earning their income and paying their mortgages, etc. Therefore, whilst they might publically confess that they "would die for BA", I can pretty much guarantee they wouldn't die at the cost of risking their own income. Some might even go the extreme of sharing and liking public posts that allude to the solution not being them, but rather an individual they deem to be more expendable.

TheRam

Coach
I’ve said it many times here is our Terry Fearnley reincarnated.

Terry Fearnley was a great coach and very unlucky not to have won a premiership. Glover you unco bastard!

Potates is the one dimensional potatoes missing the meat kind of dish. Hardly the type of meal that gets the job done.

And at the moment those potatoes are on the cold side too.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Late hours? Other than that I can’t think of any
Happy Make It Rain GIF by Arrow Video

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like you, I listen to podcasts and watch NRL shows. I lap them up. What is obvious is that these journos take a snippet of info and extrapolate it into a story. They join the dots based on what they perceive is logic. I hear them actually brain storm speculation or narratives on the Telecrap or 2MMM podcast. The flip flop based on what they like the sound of best. Sometimes Ready will start with a narrative and then after chatting it over with Chammas or Rothfield, they will arrive at a totally different story. I hear Ready say "I like that". Like he has accepted a more saleable story for clicks.
Yep, it’s wrong to assume the media, especially rugby league media, are motivated by wanting to report the truth.

They want to give fans what they want to read/watch/hear, and judging by this place the fans want villains and scapegoats. Anything else is AcCePtInG mEdIoCrItY!!!!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Those older players would first and foremost want to keep earning their income and paying their mortgages, etc. Therefore, whilst they might publically confess that they "would die for BA", I can pretty much guarantee they wouldn't die at the cost of risking their own income. Some might even go the extreme of sharing and liking public posts that allude to the solution not being them, but rather an individual they deem to be more expendable.
This also points to the inherent tension of earning under a salary cap. (Almost) everyone wants to maximise his earnings and would be happy being overpaid. But a salary cap means if everyone is overpaid, or at least earning the maximum they are worth, then the squad won’t be as strong as one with many players on unders. Since all players also want to win, there is an incentive to prefer being the only merkin who is overpaid at a club where everybody else is underpaid. This minimises the tension between wanting to maximise income while also winning on the field.

eels_fan

First Grade
With so many players entering their early 30s or already in them and on contract for at least another 12-24 months, our window is still open if we have the right person leading the team, and make a couple of astute purchases. In 2-3 years we will be a in a full rebuild mode. That is why Bennett is perfect for now. Gives us 2-3 years, then he sets sail into retirement or wherever he wants to go and the rebuild can happen. An incoming coach for 2025 wont be rebuilding as our squad is largely locked in. They need to elevate the ceiling with the current squad (plus Lomax), and as much as I appreciate what BA has done, he has reached his ceiling with this squad. He may end up head coach and winning a comp with another team one day, and goodluck to him if he does, but BA's limit at Parra has been reached

Glenneel

Bench
We just spent four straight years in the finals ffs. Last year we missed out by one win. Suddenly the whole club needs to be blown up? Stop catastrophising you pissweak merkins. You make me f**king sick.
Poor Pou can't see the obvious. I'll list just some of the problems:
Poor roster- holes everywhere, particularly in backline, with no backups for wing, centre, fullback and halfback for 3 years and counting. Btw have I missed any positions?

Team composition-good teams today have following characteristics: Big mobile pack, fast backs and decent backups. Our team: Big pack.

R&R committee-cumbersome and difficult to get any players here

HOF-same as above and not willing apparently to negotiate above certain perceived valuations so no players come here. And don't you dare mention Lomax as he is only decent player to come here forever so it seems.

Juniors-what juniors? Blaise, touted as next big thing but I've seen nothing to justify tag and very poor defensively. How many other hyped juniors finally make NRL only to be shown up as poor players?

Defence-poor particularly on the edges

Out of form players-constantly picked despite performances be it favouritism or lack of a player to cover position?

Coach-stuck with outdated tactics and devoid of ideas. Otherwise fairly decent apparently as endorsed by Pou and 60s from TCT.

I could go on but don't want to bore people to death, they can see the problems, you and our board cannot apparently, as not willing to even talk to Bennett!