What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
1966 Brave Roosters dead last. Did not win a game.
In comes Jack Gibson.
1967 Brave Roosters semi finalists. Won 15 games.
Never underestimate coaching!
Maybe there were other factors? He couldn’t get Cronulla over the line. He couldn’t even win half his games in three seasons. The problem wasn’t him, the problem was Cronulla. Is Flanagan a better coach than Gibson? Of course he isn’t. Cronulla are a bigger (better resourced) club these days, and Flanagan got some luck. Fitzgibbon might be as good as Flanagan but never get the lucky break.

Likewise if Bennett doesn’t win with Souths it doesn’t mean he’s not as good as Maguire. It will just mean he had less luck. Or maybe Souths have fewer resources now than in 2014. We can only speculate, but winning a grand final once doesn’t tell us a lot about luck vs resources. You need to look at a big enough sample of seasons because over time luck should even out, making disparities in resourcing more evident.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just scroll past now.....I don't understand how he can be bothered just dribbling the same shit over and over......
I am trying new analogies and metaphors. Different teaching methods to try to get through to you kids. Like Michelle Pfeiffer trying to teach her students to stop sniffing glue and getting pregnant.

lucablight

First Grade
You’re fixating on the results of individual seasons. I’ve already told you each season’s results are within a range of possible outcomes for a given club. Think of it like a bell curve of possible distributions. A very well resourced club might have an average seasonal result of 16 wins while a club with basic bitch level resources might average only 9.5 wins. The effect of coaching might add or subtract a couple of wins. The rest of the variation between seasons comes down to luck. It’s why we won 6 games in 2018 and 14 games the following year without changing the coach.

You’re laughing at the Broncos’ disastrous season but they’ve already won eight games this year, which is only one less than Bennett’s Dolphins. Seibold has won more games than both of them.
I’m not sure what your argument is. Are you saying that each club has a prefixed win range in which they’ll fall every year regardless who the coaching staff/roster are and it’s solely because of their resources? Really?

The Predictor

Juniors
Reading the last couple of pages of Pou

jurassic park deal with it GIF
I don’t understand why people give this idiot any oxygen , I have him on ignore and still shits me no end, his name his fkn everywhere, have to accept that no matter what peoples opinions are, he doesn’t care…..just relentless, poor fella I really do think he is an absolute troll without even realising, I guess he has a couple too not dissimilar minions which keep him relevant in his own twisted, shit is not right…..seek some help

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m not sure what your argument is. Are you saying that each club has a prefixed win range in which they’ll fall every year regardless who the coaching staff/roster are and it’s solely because of their resources? Really?
Pretty much. But it's not 'regardless of their staff/roster'. The quality of their roster is a function of their resourcing. Even their coaching staff is determined by resourcing. If you want a very good example, look at Ricky Stuart's career. In his first year at the Roosters he won the comp, and made three grand finals in his first three seasons. In his first and only year at Parra he won five games and ran last.

But his time at Canberra has been the most insightful, because he has been there so long. Same club, same coach. He has ranged between 8 and 17 regular season wins, with an average of 12.1 wins per year. He hasn't become a better or worse coach each year, and if resourcing has changed, the effects would only be seen over a number of years. There's no clear pattern of the Raiders becoming stronger or weaker in that time, unlike at Parra where Arthur's post-2018 record (58% win rate) is significantly better than his record before the new management structure (45%). So the disparity in Stuart's results at Canberra must be explained by luck. Canberra (at least while Stuart has been there) wins 12 games per year, plus/minus 5 wins (depending on luck). With a worse coach it might be 10 or 11 wins plus/minus 5 wins. With a better coach it might be 13 or 14 wins plus/minus 5.

If you want to understand the game, you need to force your head out of narratives (after-the-fact explanations of shit you don't understand) and look at the data.

Delboy

First Grade
Watching the Penrith game, again they are not afraid of blooding young players and giving them a chance. That was a definite failing for the past 5/6 years, looking always to so called experienced journeymen when filling holes particularly during the season.

The Storm system does the opposite and hope that is brought to the Eels,it helps balance the spend in the roster and encourages young players to stay.

Add to that the way the Storm and Riff play intense front foot football at high pace, when we were trying just bash the door down for far too long.

Soto

Bench
Watching the Penrith game, again they are not afraid of blooding young players and giving them a chance. That was a definite failing for the past 5/6 years, looking always to so called experienced journeymen when filling holes particularly during the season.

The Storm system does the opposite and hope that is brought to the Eels,it helps balance the spend in the roster and encourages young players to stay.

Add to that the way the Storm and Riff play intense front foot football at high pace, when we were trying just bash the door down for far too long.
The other problem we have if a young player has been promoted ONLY and I repeat only if it was because of Injury or suspension not because they have been killing it because the previous coach didn't have the kahunas to drop and promote, all of a sudden they want $500k a season...SMFH...

Avenger

Immortal

It’s easier to do in a well drilled side that have just won three in a row.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

In every case it is the teams playing to their strengths.

Latest posts