What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheCrowe

Juniors
My point was, with the money we have left in the cap it's going to be hard to get a prop with similar value to what RCG provided, and despite the good depth in our forwards, we won't get the same output through the middle. Also looking at that list, we probably need to sign some more middles for Cup, as if we get any injuries to our forwards again, we will be in big trouble without RCG, Makatoa and Ogden
Thats where Croker would be good for us. Better then Maka, would strengthen reserve grade but not let anyone down in firsts. Has a lot of experience but still only 24 and would help our young guys to step up.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What are you on about? We kept Moretti and sent Momoisea to the Dogs.

I was the first one to take the piss out of you merkins for being excited when we signed him. He played more first grade for the Knights than he did for us. You need to move on.
Who was excited about Mumamoasia??? A bloke who couldn't crack a shit Knights pack. After the first trial everyone knew he was garbage. But we all know who was excited about him, big forearms and the last name Arthur made them wet around the wee wee.

Delboy

First Grade
Having to let Reg go when you already have 5 spots available have only confirmed to me how mismanaged our cap was or still is…
The cap was badly managed , the GM and Coach were responsible for the cap and positions being critically unbalanced. Will the remaining official surprise and do a much better job alongside a different coach.

With RCG gone and a number of others moved on, it’s critical we make decent signings and probably develop better relations with player managers. The cap needs a reset and better distributed, fingers crossed that the next couple of months brings results and players added that will provide impetus for the return to finals.

EppingEel

Juniors
Sorry for being argumentative, you've all made good points, but for the first time in ages I am pessimistic on our future (despite believing Ryles will be much better than Arthur)

King-Gutho94

Coach
RCG was a champion player for us.

It's a shame he has to leave. But after the year we had someone had to go.

RCG is the easiest to move on and clearing out some cap space.

No one is touching Paulo on 900k and Matterson whatever he is on.

As much as many would like to drive Lane to the airport there is no takers atm.

Unfortunately it meant RCG had to go.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We’ll be tested for depth definitely but that’s replacing the likes of Makatoa & Ogden.
If we’re trying to replace RCG like for like we potentially put ourselves back in same position with 2 high priced props who have large defensive deficiencies.
Yep, and everyone keeps on mentioning our junior pathways not being great.....well next year, we may be replacing some of the older depth players with rookies, for example letting Maka, Ogden go and giving players like Sam T, Toni M (top 30), Parker and Pryke, a chance...

it's exciting....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He had never played first grade. He had only played five games in reserve grade before coming to our club.
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My point was, with the money we have left in the cap it's going to be hard to get a prop with similar value to what RCG provided, and despite the good depth in our forwards, we won't get the same output through the middle. Also looking at that list, we probably need to sign some more middles for Cup, as if we get any injuries to our forwards again, we will be in big trouble without RCG, Makatoa and Ogden
We might not need more middles. Contracted players I didn’t include are Greig and Tuivati. Plus whichever Flegg merkins we retain.

Paulo
Ofahengaue
Lane
Matterson
Hopgood
Guymer
Moretti
Greig
Tuivati
Mataele

They represent a third of our top thirty, though Guymer is unconfirmed. Either way, the bottom of the top thirty is functionally indistinct from players 31+. What it does show is that we already have plenty of merkins ready for reserve grade. Do we really need more?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In terms of impact, we need Paulo to be at his best particularly in offence. Then the others need to focus on the defensive side where we’ll see greater and easier gains covering RCG and Paulo’s lacking defence from this year. For me this is Ofahengaue and then trying to develop Guymer into that role. I don’t think Lane or Matterson are capable of being those defensive minded players but playing them as out and out middles probably helps mitigate losing RCG’s attack while no real difference in defence
Lane and Matterson at least have better lateral movement than RCG.

Latest posts