What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
Kobe is a very average player. We need to replace RCG with quality either from within or from outside. So far I am underwhelmed with what Ryles brings other then change. Talk is cheap. He seemed nervous and generally gave stock standard answers you would expect. But that is also expected from a virgin NRL coach. He needs to show us real change is happening and that won't be possible until we see new good to great signings and or results on the field starting from next year in the way we defend and attitude for the full 80 minutes.

That is the first and real signs of his bonafides for us fans which will indicate that all the other 1% stuff he will be trying to implement may actually be working and that they are buying into his approach and character. Time will give us some answers.
If you honestly think that the questions he was asked and the answers he gave weren't prepped and even rehearsed, you are pretty naive mate.

The whole interview, including the location and timing, was all planned by the club to try and counter the push for a PLC EGM and attempt to force change, driven by Roy Spagnolo.

Last edited:

The Predictor

Juniors
No
Agreed.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. The guys was offered a job and he took it. He was offerend an extension and he took it. He wanted to coach the team and was given the chance. Was he supposed to quit?
Blame the CEO and board for giving him the extensions, ok, but can't blame a bloke for taking up an offer that was given to him.
matter how shit the team was going…..as long as he had a job, sounds pretty fkn selfish to me, plenty have fallen on their swords before, but this fella loved the gravy far too much, putting himself and family above the club, at least he bled blue and gold for 11 years, not anymore though and in the process of destroying Jake’s career!!!

The Colonel

Immortal
If you honestly think that the questions he was asked and the answers he gave weren't prepped amd even rehearsed, you are pretty naive mate.

The whole interview, including the location and timing, was all planned by the club to try and counter the push for a PLC EGM and attempt to force change, driven by Roy Spagnolo.

That is quite a cynical outlook. Is supporting this club the right thing for you??? ;)

TheRam

Coach
to be fair, our current cap issues isn't Ryles doing but he understands to fix this you need to sacrifise a blue chip squad member so we can actually achieve what the idiots couldn't in the last 2 years and that's fill the roster.

replacing Reg with another 'big dick' middle just defeats the pourpose.

Yeah I get the idea behind it, but I don't think it is the right call and to me it looks like a rookie mistake.

On the field he needs to improve our defence by a fair margin and shore up the middle. By releasing our best forward he is only going to realise he hasn't the pedigree in the stocks to do just that and find that we will be very loose and vulnerable in the place he wants to fix the most. We don't have bulldogs types of workers at our club and just like the Dogs did we will realise quick smart the players we currently have will need to be replaced with workers and some size.

The problem though for us is we don't have a Gould type to do the heavy lifting in the pathways and recruitment side of things and if we have another season like these past two with injuries and suspensions and MON is still Head Of Football, good luck attracting the quality that we will be needing at that point without paying overs which will then be defeating the purpose and could easily be what we end up doing because by that stage Ryles will be getting desperate because all the knives will be sharpening against him.

You need to remember, Ryles won't have the luxury of time or Gould to support and protect him. Even with that Ciraldo would have been close to a goner this season had they had a similar year this season as their last. We are a big but desperate club for positive results.

If anything were to happen to Moses again next season, then with a inferior forward pack as I see it currently right now, then we will nose dive again to be a seller dweller and the media and many fans won't cop excuses that Moses injury was a big enough reason for that, as they shouldn't. It is incumbent on the coach to be able to still motivate and put enough processes and procedures in their playing style and psyche to get winning results. If he has a strong middle and spine, which we should do as far as the spine is concerned even if Moses goes down for a while then he would/should be able to still keep them going in the right direction.

Next season isn't about winning the Premiership, it is about defensive attitude and winning principle. We already have recruited well enough in Iongi and Lomax, which both should give us some thrust out wide that we haven't had at our club for a while. He in my view should be working on getting all the current players to buy into his methods and instill in them all a defensive take no prisoners mindset. Once he has seen what each current player has to offer and how they fit in with his philosophies, then he can start to cull and add as he sees fit and I dare say, RCG probably wouldn't be one of the ones to get a tap on the shoulder at the right price for 2026 and beyond.

Anyway I hope I am totally wrong and somehow he gets them all firing and our middle in both defence and offence is brutal and tenacious. I really do, but somehow I doubt that removing the most consistent and damaging forward out of our team will accomplish that. But it is what it is now, so let us all see. But if we just miss out or just scrape into the top 8, I'm sure there will have been quite a few games that we will all have wished we had someone like RCG leading our pack to have either helped us get there or give it a decent shake once there. Forwards win big matches.

My greatest fear though is that we will get dominated in many games and therefore our improved strike backs and especially Moses will find it very hard to do their thing and it will lead to more and more frustration and ultimately desperation, errors and even more injuries. Causing a knock on affect of indifferent form and loss of even more confidence and ultimately impact the new coach and the spiral begins.

Notice I have only been referring to our middle defence. That's because that's where it all starts. If we get that right then the edges generally get the benefit of that too. They then can set and adjust accordingly if they are good enough NRL standard players which I think we have now with the inclusion of the two new recruits.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Kobe is a very average player. We need to replace RCG with quality either from within or from outside. So far I am underwhelmed with what Ryles brings other then change. Talk is cheap. He seemed nervous and generally gave stock standard answers you would expect. But that is also expected from a virgin NRL coach. He needs to show us real change is happening and that won't be possible until we see new good to great signings and or results on the field starting from next year in the way we defend and attitude for the full 80 minutes.

That is the first and real signs of his bonafides for us fans which will indicate that all the other 1% stuff he will be trying to implement may actually be working and that they are buying into his approach and character. Time will give us some answers.
Mark my words in the future… Iongi is a great signing.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Hetherington would be a smart signing for us to be honest. Broncs fans up here that I’ve spoken to are filthy they let him go. He adds punch off the bench, particularly in defence where he hits with aggression. Releasing RCG for him plus others would make a lot of sense.

He’s 25 years old, is only going to get better. Wouldn’t break the bank. There’s a lot to like for mine.

Last edited:

senior

Juniors
Yeah I get the idea behind it, but I don't think it is the right call and to me it looks like a rookie mistake.

On the field he needs to improve our defence by a fair margin and shore up the middle. By releasing our best forward he is only going to realise he hasn't the pedigree in the stocks to do just that and find that we will be very loose and vulnerable in the place he wants to fix the most. We don't have bulldogs types of workers at our club and just like the Dogs did we will realise quick smart the players we currently have will need to be replaced with workers and some size.

The problem though for us is we don't have a Gould type to do the heavy lifting in the pathways and recruitment side of things and if we have another season like these past two with injuries and suspensions and MON is still Head Of Football, good luck attracting the quality that we will be needing at that point without paying overs which will then be defeating the purpose and could easily be what we end up doing because by that stage Ryles will be getting desperate because all the knives will be sharpening against him.

You need to remember, Ryles won't have the luxury of time or Gould to support and protect him. Even with that Ciraldo would have been close to a goner this season had they had a similar year this season as their last. We are a big but desperate club for positive results.

If anything were to happen to Moses again next season, then with a inferior forward pack as I see it currently right now, then we will nose dive again to be a seller dweller and the media and many fans won't cop excuses that Moses injury was a big enough reason for that, as they shouldn't. It is incumbent on the coach to be able to still motivate and put enough processes and procedures in their playing style and psyche to get winning results. If he has a strong middle and spine, which we should do as far as the spine is concerned even if Moses goes down for a while then he would/should be able to still keep them going in the right direction.

Next season isn't about winning the Premiership, it is about defensive attitude and winning principle. We already have recruited well enough in Iongi and Lomax, which both should give us some thrust out wide that we haven't had at our club for a while. He in my view should be working on getting all the current players to buy into his methods and instill in them all a defensive take no prisoners mindset. Once he has seen what each current player has to offer and how they fit in with his philosophies, then he can start to cull and add as he sees fit and I dare say, RCG probably wouldn't be one of the ones to get a tap on the shoulder at the right price for 2026 and beyond.

Anyway I hope I am totally wrong and somehow he gets them all firing and our middle in both defence and offence is brutal and tenacious. I really do, but somehow I doubt that removing the most consistent and damaging forward out of our team will accomplish that. But it is what it is now, so let us all see. But if we just miss out or just scrape into the top 8, I'm sure there will have been quite a few games that we will all have wished we had someone like RCG leading our pack to have either helped us get there or give it a decent shake once there. Forwards win big matches.

My greatest fear though is that we will get dominated in many games and therefore our improved strike backs and especially Moses will find it very hard to do their thing and it will lead to more and more frustration and ultimately desperation, errors and even more injuries. Causing a knock on affect of indifferent form and loss of even more confidence and ultimately impact the new coach and the spiral begins.

Notice I have only been referring to our middle defence. That's because that's where it all starts. If we get that right then the edges generally get the benefit of that too. They then can set and adjust accordingly if they are good enough NRL standard players which I think we have now with the inclusion of the two new recruits.
We need Paulo to step up next year or we are fked pretty much

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Hetherington would be a smart signing for us to be honest. Broncs fans up here that I’ve spoken to are filthy they let him go. He adds punch off the bench, particularly in defence where he hits with aggression. Releasing RCG for him plus others would make a lot of sense.

He’s 25 years old, is only going to get better. Wouldn’t break the bank. There’s a lot to like for mine.

Yeah. I haven't taken note of him before but his defensive output is pretty good, his attacking numbers are poor. But we wouldn't be bringing him in for his attack, his defensive work is what would allow our better attacking forwards to do less work defensively.

My concern with the signing is do we need another middle forward? I think edge forward is where we should be shifting focus to. Our starters are serviceable and our depth is poor.

TheRam

Coach

I don't think he is terrible, but I don't think he is anything to get to excited about and I hope his salary reflects that. If we don't have forwards coming through of his calibre and better then we are in real trouble. I get that he comes with ready made NRL experience which we will need. Unless he really steps up and flourishes at Parra he will be a good average signing. That's all.

Speaking of Staines, he’s looking for a club.

I hope everyone has been watching the Ocean Gate Royal Commission live.

My Tigers scarf has less holes in it than Titan did.

From the evidence I heard, I think the glue that kept the cylinder thingy stuck to the knobs may not have handed the pressure.

They had other early warning devices in other areas. Buzz away if something got wet within the material.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No

matter how shit the team was going…..as long as he had a job, sounds pretty fkn selfish to me, plenty have fallen on their swords before, but this fella loved the gravy far too much, putting himself and family above the club, at least he bled blue and gold for 11 years, not anymore though and in the process of destroying Jake’s career!!!
He has pulled us back from disaster before. Why wouldn't he back himself to do it again?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah. I haven't taken note of him before but his defensive output is pretty good, his attacking numbers are poor. But we wouldn't be bringing him in for his attack, his defensive work is what would allow our better attacking forwards to do less work defensively.

My concern with the signing is do we need another middle forward? I think edge forward is where we should be shifting focus to. Our starters are serviceable and our depth is poor.
We might rely on Lane/Matterson as edge forwards, but it's not ideal.