What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Everyone is getting upset about player options but really, what do they mean?

At the moment, Drown has a contract for 2025 and without the option he would be able to start negotiations with us or any one else in a month's time (for 2026+). The PO might extend that for a few more months and reduce our time to replace him if he does go elsewhere, but without it, he would be negotiating in a month without having had any time under Ryles. Not a good scenario for us to be in.

Moses is under contract until the end of 2026 and without the PO would be free to negotiate in Nov next year. For me, he is signed until 2026 and not beyond and that's how I look at.

Both players have some built-in protection if they want to invoke it (at a cost) but is it really that negative or just a way to put shit on the club and MON?

Shut up!

Avenger

Immortal
I agree with @Poupou Escobar Jack Williams isn’t coming here to play reserves. He will definitely be in our 17. From what I’ve read he is a reliable player with good leg speed and defence. He can drop a ball though. Must say I’m surprised at how many first grade games he has played.

You’d think we are paying about $350 to $400k.

TheRam

Coach
If a player takes the PO then there is no negotiation however if they let it lapse and then head into negotiations, the only difference (negative) would be if the option expired later into the final contract year, there would be less time to find a replacement (should the player leave, like Talagi).

In Talagi's case however we made him an offer in November 2023 (before the PO lapsed) that effectively negated the PO as it was of a higher value so realistically we had already opened negotiations.

There would also be a negative to a PO if we decided we didn't want to keep the player and they wanted to stay regardless, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Rumour has it this is what occurred with Matterson who I am told has invoked his PO for 2026 early as he couldn't get another contract elsewhere - no doubt due to concerns about another concussion forcing him to retire. Although if this did happen, we would get paid out by insurance.

What the fu*k? Close your gob merkin!

TheRam

Coach
This is what I was about to point out in answer to your earlier post "how do PO's hurt us?".

Hypothetically - Let's say come December this year, the Storm and Cameron Munster come to an agreement that he can negotiate with anyone for 2026. Ryles tells MON to do whatever it takes to get him to Parra.... But MON turns around and says we've got Drown's PO to think about and he has got until July 2025 (for arguments sake) to activate it... The club is basically hamstrung from being able to negotiate with a marquee player because Drown has a PO which nobody knows will be activated. Whereas if he was just "off contract" at the end of 2025, we'd know where we stand and could cease any contract extension talks with Drown and go hard for Munster.

Then in March 2025, Munster announces he has signed with the Broncos for 2026 because Parra couldn't make a concrete offer.... In July 2025, Drown decides he won't be taking up his PO and has instead agreed to terms for 2026 -2030 with the Warriors. Instead, Parra end up signing Toby Sexton and Jackson Hastings with the space freed up in the cap in the hope that one of them can finally nail down a halves spot

That scenario might be the "only difference" as you term it if the PO expires later in the year... But it's a pretty f**king big difference with potential to completely scupper your recruitment plans and goals.

In saying all of that - there seems to be some black magic involved behind the scenes with PO's and no doubt I've missed something in the hypothetical above and I'm way off...

Oh my Lord! Give it a rest already.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I agree with @Poupou Escobar Jack Williams isn’t coming here to play reserves. He will definitely be in our 17. From what I’ve read he is a reliable player with good leg speed and defence. He can drop a ball though. Must say I’m surprised at how many first grade games he has played.

You’d think we are paying about $350 to $400k.

he's the ultimate benchie but a real good one.

the issue with the dick hands can be easily fixed and I hope fixes the italian stallion too...

TheRam

Coach
Maybe Pou can tell us the stats but in a given year you’ll have X amount of squad spots off contract you’ll have to negotiate with. If you have a heap of options coming due as well, it’s multiplying your workload. As I said energy being used. And yes fans energy too as much as @emjaycee thinks it doesn’t, although the impact wouldn’t be as impactful.

On top of that:
There’s way more control in a negotiation of a new contract.
Options have deadlines which means as much as people protest they don’t, in the lead up to that deadline they’ll likely negatively impact all those involved with it (and potentially the team at large).
If the player takes up his option, it likely means he’s on overs.
Even if the player takes up option, it saves a year or two and then it moves to new contract negotiations anyway (or further option deadline).

They’re not the bane of our salary cap but there needs to be balance.

Enough's enough already. How many more pages of this sh*t? Pou really has done a number on so many of you. You are all voluntarily playing in his twisted little game now and you don't even know it. He must be pissing himself to death while beating it mercilessly.

Latest posts