What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
A better question is why any club would agree to them if they are so harmful. Putting their blue and gold goggles aside, why did these other clubs agree to them? Where’s the benefit? If merkins can’t honestly consider that question they are just trolls desperate to put shit on our club.

Oh sh*t and so we are off the the races.

TheRam

Coach
Players they want to keep? like Ryan Matterson and Mika Sivo? players who have been told theyre free to look elsewhere.

the difference is that there is no incentive for the player with the option to re sign before Nov 1, The option, the safety net enables the player to go onto the player market and test their value. That money could be taken off the table by the club to look for someone else, but the option locks the club into keeping that money aside. This off season the players have all the power, its going to affect our ability to re shape out roster.

what benefit did we get? you claim guys like Brown and Moses re signed for less due to these options? show me the evidence!! i dont see it in our squad. given we have more options than any other NRL team, there go according to your logic we must have saved a fair amount of money. i just done see it in our list, we got some good well paid players but we also got a lot of junk.

also i find curious, that since giving options to players is a great way of operating. why (according to NRL signings tracker) are there no options in the Lomax, Iongi, Simonson, Hopgood contracts???? it will be interesting to see the Hawkins contract.

Oh no. Pou wins again. He's landing them now like fish in a barrel.

TheRam

Coach
Sure. Same with Dunster, who I would guess the club doesn't want anymore.
You take a risk with a player option, but how often does it work against the club as it has in those two instances?

I doubt the club is just throwing options into contracts willy-nilly.
"Hey mate, here's your contract. $X for three years. And I'll tell you what, I'll throw in a player option for an extra year for nothing. How does that sound?"

More likely it is all part of the negotiation, where a player might have a similar offer from two clubs, but one is offering a PO. Can you imagine if the last time we were trying to re-sign Matterson if he went to another club just because they offered him a PO and we didn't? He was in great form at the time and it would have been yet another reason for fans to put shit on the club.

Or another club is offering say $600k for three years but the player wants 4 years. Parra will offer $500k for three years plus a PO for the 4th year in order to sign the player.

We don't know the ins and outs of these deals and what other clubs are offering. It's likely we don't get to sign a lot of these players without the player/mutual options.

How many KY jars have you got lined up for this session Pou? Must be going over to your big closet.

TheRam

Coach
We might prefer them to go but we offered those options with the understanding they wouldn’t hurt us if the player decided to stay. These are players we already knew when the options were negotiated. They are cleanskins and professionals. People call Sivo lazy but he obviously works very hard in the gym. The merkin is ripped massive.

The incentive is like with any contract offer. Clubs have deadlines and can withdraw contract offers of the player takes too long to decide. The PO is just another contract offer with clearly defined deadline.

Yes it’s a benefit to the player. This isn’t in dispute. That’s why the player was happy to give something up for it.

We weren’t involved in negotiations so we don’t know what the club got in return for conceding those options. But this is a business run by ‘bean counters’ and nothing is free.

When have we ever had anything close to the best squad in the NRL? Even when we were minor premiers under Brian Smith we didn’t have the best squad in the game. Those teams overachieved. And we haven’t been minor premiers for almost 20 years.

I’d say most players would prefer extra money more than a one year safety net. For a club and player to agree on an option (PO or CO or both) they have to agree on its value. Plenty of players would think no PO is worth giving up money for unless the PO was for more than he’s worth. But in that case the club wouldn’t agree to it. A no-brainer option is no option at all. It’s just an extra year on overs. That might eventually be the case where the player gets badly injured (e.g. Dunster) but if the club knew in advance they wouldn’t have agreed to it.

His dumping a truck load of chum in now. The water is red for miles. Like moths to a flame.

84 Baby

Referee
Ozlcq9GdGurh1GYpk4XlKAT8Cwc=.gif
Goodbye sweet prince @TheRam

Glenneel

Bench

Geez he looks bloody strong in these highlights with very quick leg speed.
High effort player that doesn't look that small, ideal player for us imo. Add some much needed drive in the forwards.

So far Ryles pushing all the right buttons, re-signing some of our juniors and filling holes in the roster where needed. Need a decent hooker now and hope he makes a play for Wishart from Storm who won't be available until 2026 I think.

Glenneel

Bench
I agree with @Poupou Escobar Jack Williams isn’t coming here to play reserves. He will definitely be in our 17. From what I’ve read he is a reliable player with good leg speed and defence. He can drop a ball though. Must say I’m surprised at how many first grade games he has played.

You’d think we are paying about $350 to $400k.
One would think 200-250k would top him out.

Latest posts