What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
He’ll play 6 if Drown is out but I don’t think he has impact to play in forwards. If he plays there it’ll be him starting off bench

Yeah I reckon that's where Ryles was alluding to him playing when he said in his interview that when Gutho is on the field we'll be playing differently to every team in the competition.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
4 finals wins in 11 years and a spoon plus a for and against of -140 says
You would need to demonstrate that anyone else could've done better (or wanted to try). The two previous coaches didn't. Two other coaches we know are better than Arthur's decided not even huge money was enough to lure them to our club.

Eelogical

Referee
I'm unsure what part of Gutho's strengths play to the strengths of a centre. His speed is most notable at 50m+ which is good at fullback as he can back-up on a break whereas at centre speed is most important at 5-30m. He isn't really a tackle breaker other than off a quick play the ball and retreating markers. Defensively he was run around a couple of times this year although his front on defence was still good and his talk out wide would help a lot.

I think overall he's still best in a high work-rate position, for me it's 1,6 or 13 that suit him.
Gutho 2025! The best player in the comp who isn't suitable for any position.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He’ll play 6 if Drown is out but I don’t think he has impact to play in forwards. If he plays there it’ll be him starting off bench

He often took 1 off the ruck hit ups (often 4th tackle coming out of trouble), managed a quick play the ball, and have the kicker time.

I think he'll add whatever bulk his frame can hold this off-season (likely not much), and then operate as that ball playing middle from the bench - probably comes on after about 20mins (or if a back goes down, he can fill in anywhere for the rest of the game).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You wouldn’t acknowledge it if God Himself decreed you were wrong, so you will be waiting a long long time!

the thing is you have been shown better available options for many years now, you have just been too stupid to notice!

see how opinions work?
You mean like Bennett and Bellamy? These better options also need to be willing.

See how evidence and logic work?

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
He often took 1 off the ruck hit ups (often 4th tackle coming out of trouble), managed a quick play the ball, and have the kicker time.

I think he'll add whatever bulk his frame can hold this off-season (likely not much), and then operate as that ball playing middle from the bench - probably comes on after about 20mins (or if a back goes down, he can fill in anywhere for the rest of the game).
But if he’s starting in the forwards, that’s going to be a lot of the running he’ll be doing. Do you think he’ll be as effective doing it 15-20 times a game, on top of making 20-30 tackles? Perhaps but it’ll be old dog, new tricks if he’s any good at it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But if he’s starting in the forwards, that’s going to be a lot of the running he’ll be doing. Do you think he’ll be as effective doing it 15-20 times a game, on top of making 20-30 tackles? Perhaps but it’ll be old dog, new tricks if he’s any good at it
I don't think he'll need to make more than 10 carries in the middle. There will be a lot of catch-pass, and a lot of support runs. I expect his tackles per minute will be pretty high though.

84 Baby

Referee
I don't think he'll need to make more than 10 carries in the middle. There will be a lot of catch-pass, and a lot of support runs. I expect his tackles per minute will be pretty high though.
Then someone else will need to do those runs, with less options on field because Gutho has taken up a spot.

Then again perhaps with Iongi & Lomax bringing hopefully more effort to our backline, the other forwards will have more energy to do them

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Then someone else will need to do those runs, with less options on field because Gutho has taken up a spot.

Then again perhaps with Iongi & Lomax bringing hopefully more effort to our backline, the other forwards will have more energy to do them
There's never a shortage of merkins to run the ball. Like you said, Lomax and Iongi have high work rate. The Penrith wingers and fullback combined for 68 carries last week. Cleary made nearly 20 runs. None of these merkins are middle forwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But there is a shortage of merkins who can run the ball effectively.
Not in our pack, even with RCG gone.
And if Gutho is shirking half his runs already, some other bloke has to more than his share.
We will struggle to find enough carries to get value out of Paulo, Lane, Matterson, Hopgood, Ofahengaue, Drown and the back two (not including Sivo).

Latest posts