What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Not in our pack, even with RCG gone.

We will struggle to find enough carries to get value out of Paulo, Lane, Matterson, Hopgood, Ofahengaue, Drown and the back two (not including Sivo).
I agree that we can potentially cover it, but we’d only be doing it if Gutho makes others attack more effective (possibly but it’ll require more of the wider players which they haven’t really done recently - maybe Gutho makes it easier for them) or defence better (that seems unfair to expect a player who does couple of tackles a game to then do 10 times more).

Moses doesn't mind the occasional run either.
Not really a traditional hit up though.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You would need to demonstrate that anyone else could've done better (or wanted to try). The two previous coaches didn't. Two other coaches we know are better than Arthur's decided not even huge money was enough to lure them to our club.
Poo Wtf GIF

hindy111

Post Whore
Completely agree.
I'm shocked that pretty much everyone in here thinks he'll just waltz in and take over from our best fullback.
I would have thought he needs to earn the right to that position.
I for one would still be starting the season with Gutho at FB.

I am not shocked. Lets say Gutherson started there till Ionghi proved himself. Then what? We've wasted half a season and need to find Gutherson a new role.
I wouldn't be against Guth starting at 1 for 40 mind amd Ionghi getting the others 40 while Guth fills in somewhere but it's all.about the future amd Gutherson body I doubt allows him to be a big part of that.

Glenneel

Bench
In our SG Ball team we have also signed a fair few forwards over the past couple of years. Ocean Vaivela, recruited from Souths Logan. Beau Lucien recruited from Sunshine Coast Falcons. Elijah Shane Tapau from Townsville Blackhawks.

Yes it's disappointing to lose some of these kids, especially after they've been picked for the Australian schoolboys, it isn't as if we have been sitting on our hands in this regard. But we do need to get better at securing young talent to contracts as we have had too many talented players leaving.
There is an interview of Ryles (not sure if been on here before) with the link below with club media:

He talks about the disconnect with juniors and pathways to NRL and that I think is why so many want to leave. That sits squarely on BA's shoulders if the case. He plans to change that (good) and has been on the job since July. He has recognised that holes exist in roster and we lack speed. Worth a look to see his future plans but gives hope that club will be better run in future.

Glenneel

Bench
As an outsider looking in it amazes me that everyone is assuming Iongi slots straight into fullback. He has had only one game in firsts so untested in NRL. Has plaed three years at NSW Cup level so I find it strange that every assumes he will be better than Guffo who has performed for you guys for a long time.

Iongi may turn out to be a superstar but he has Laurie/Staines vibes for me. Strange to see the hype in here.
Don't think he'll be better than Gutho until some time yet but he'll fit the team better in that we lack speed in backs and he fixes that. Gutho will still be a very important player in the team but in a different position. Doubt Ryles bought him here to continue playing NSW Cup.

JokerEel

Coach
There is an interview of Ryles (not sure if been on here before) with the link below with club media:

He talks about the disconnect with juniors and pathways to NRL and that I think is why so many want to leave. That sits squarely on BA's shoulders if the case. He plans to change that (good) and has been on the job since July. He has recognised that holes exist in roster and we lack speed. Worth a look to see his future plans but gives hope that club will be better run in future.

I posted a link yesterday on the Panthers and how the GM of football should be the main to lead the connection between the juniors and the NRL which I believe should be the correct way to do it especially when you sack the coach..

I think BA was too involved with some juniors as you can see now some of them have decided to leave recently as you have said..

I can assume Brown will assist with this again now he is back on board and MON gets the ass and the club get someone else involved.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I hear you, but I also wonder how does Iongi prove himself unless he gets picked in firsts though?

he'll no doubt be given a run in the trials where he'll have to show a bit to knock Gutho from the FB spot for mine

he hasn't played much NRL yet so not really fully tested at NRL level

I guess it could also depend on how much we want to strengthen the other centre spot as Penisini will hold his spot initially and I prefer Superman on the wing so if JR feels that centre spot is a priority then that could work in Iongi's favour

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He has done his time. He isn't 19. Played plenty of NSW CUP.
Gutherson isn't getting any better. He is in decline.

that doesn't necessarily translate in the NRL form immediately though, does it ?

I don't think Guth needs to "get any better" he's good enough, he just needs to get fully fit as he plays broken a lot

I think if he's fully fit he is currently the best option and letting Iongi learn his trade at NRL level is weakening our roster and not playing our strongest team, at least early in the season anyway

JokerEel

Coach
that doesn't necessarily translate in the NRL form immediately though, does it ?

I don't think Guth needs to "get any better" he's good enough, he just needs to get fully fit as he plays broken a lot

I think if he's fully fit he is currently the best option and letting Iongi learn his trade at NRL level is weakening our roster and not playing our strongest team, at least early in the season anyway

I think we are missing a lot by not having a fast fullback that can get on the outside of players when attacking the goal line.

Gutho is still out best fullback currently I would try Iongi on the wing for this season at least and move him to 1 in 2026..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think we are missing a lot by not having a fast fullback that can get on the outside of players when attacking the goal line.

Gutho is still out best fullback currently I would try Iongi on the wing for this season at least and move him to 1 in 2026..

Gutho also started for us on the wing

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And he was poor.

It wasn’t until he was moved closer to the action that he became King Gutho.

I wouldn't say he was poor, he held up his end but we had no one else to play on his wing

I think it was a matter of picking your best 13 and getting them on the pitch