What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
that doesn't necessarily translate in the NRL form immediately though, does it ?

I don't think Guth needs to "get any better" he's good enough, he just needs to get fully fit as he plays broken a lot

I think if he's fully fit he is currently the best option and letting Iongi learn his trade at NRL level is weakening our roster and not playing our strongest team, at least early in the season anyway

Short term pain for long term gain. If Iongi isn't the answer because it's true he may not make it then we need to keep looking for 2026 for a fullback. If we wait to long we won't know if Iongi will be the answer long term. Then we are in a hole for 2026.
Gutherson won't be re-signed as a fullback for 2026. Unless we can find him a new role that suits he will be lost to the club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Longer deals mean more security for the player, and should mean a per-year discount on a shorter deal. And as we’ve seen, it’s easy to move players on these days.

hindy111

Post Whore
If we start the year with Ionginand Guth in a utility and it works we have found our future fullback and potential our bench utility and we extend Gutherson around the mid season.

If we did the reverse then we are left with no time to judge if Guth has a future at our club and the potential to find a new fullback for 2026 as most players will want future decided by mid year.

84 Baby

Referee
If we start the year with Ionginand Guth in a utility and it works we have found our future fullback and potential our bench utility and we extend Gutherson around the mid season.

If we did the reverse then we are left with no time to judge if Guth has a future at our club and the potential to find a new fullback for 2026 as most players will want future decided by mid year.
Definitely. I think generally the club wants to win but there’s a reality that there’s a lot of work to be done and 2025 we’ll mostly be a preseason to 2026 and beyond. That means things like finding Gutho’s replacement are basically a necessity next season regardless if it costs us games.
I think maybe there’s a compromise that they split fullback role during games similar to Mini/RTS or even Sloan/Lomax this year. But the chances of Gutho playing fullback in 2026 aren’t very big