What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon Gould's fingerprints are all over this Panthers squad. He deserves plenty of credit.

If he was the one who bought in these juniors. The fact most where already in the system makes me think he was there just at the right time. I could be wrong but I doubt he recruited
Edwards,Too,Yeo,Jfh, Luai,Cleary, Leota, Martin......
Gould signed too many in 5yr deals and also some weird ones like Hiku. Ivan's made better cheap signings
Alamoti,Capewell,Garner,Sorrenson all peanuts

Gronk

Staff member

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If he was the one who bought in these juniors. The fact most where already in the system makes me think he was there just at the right time. I could be wrong but I doubt he recruited
Edwards,Too,Yeo,Jfh, Luai,Cleary, Leota, Martin......
Gould joined them in 2011. Those players first appeared in their junior rep teams in these years:

MerkinYear joined Penrith
Edwards2014
To'o2016
Yeo2012
JFH2014
Luai2013
Cleary2013
Leota2013
Martin2015

Only To'o and Luai were recruited from the local catchment. And Cleary who moved there from NZ with his dad. The rest were scouted from NZ or country NSW. But it's not just about recruitment, you need to retain them at a good price as well.
Gould signed too many in 5yr deals and also some weird ones like Hiku. Ivan's made better cheap signings
Alamoti,Capewell,Garner,Sorrenson all peanuts
Cleary doesn't sign players. He is the coach. The Panthers have a whole massive recruitment/retention staff whose job is to poach players and negotiate contracts. That's resources for you.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Gould joined them in 2011. Those players first appeared in their junior rep teams in these years:

MerkinYear joined Penrith
Edwards2014
To'o2016
Yeo2012
JFH2014
Luai2013
Cleary2013
Leota2013
Martin2015

Only To'o and Luai were recruited from the local catchment. And Cleary who moved there from NZ with his dad. The rest were scouted from NZ or country NSW. But it's not just about recruitment, you need to retain them at a good price as well.

Cleary doesn't sign players. He is the coach. The Panthers have a whole massive recruitment/retention staff whose job is to poach players and negotiate contracts. That's resources for you.

They've been recruiting guys from the bush well.before Gould come. I'm asking you did he recruiting them and indetify their talent or someone else

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They've been recruiting guys from the bush well.before Gould come.
Every club recruits from the bush (and interstate, and overseas). For example our winning SG Ball side from last year had a bunch of Queenslanders and country boys. Dylan Brown was recruited from NZ.

But just because every club does it doesn't mean they can all afford the same level of resources devoted to scouting the east coast and SW Pacific for junior talent. The Panthers, Roosters and Storm blow the other clubs out of the water for this stuff.
I'm asking you did he recruiting them and indetify their talent or someone else
He hired the merkins whose job it is to recruit talent. Just like the coach, the GM football doesn't do everything. Big clubs with a lot of resources have a lot of staff to do all this work. You need to listen to the podcast interview with Bernie Gurr.

Zoso

Juniors
If you consider that we shat the bed against teams we were expected to beat, can you not see how teams like Penrith and Melbourne shat the bed against us? If you stop focusing on looking for a scapegoat and take an objective view, every team underperforms at times. That's how we beat superior opponents.
We beat the panthers at home in round 26 of 2023 (where they were playing for the minor premiership, which they eventually won due to Brisbane losing to Melbourne in round 27) and at home again in 2024. And we are also one of only a couple of teams that have beat them at home.
They either constantly shit the bed against us or we were good when we wanted to be.
I provided a few possible reasons for recent failures and in the next post I suggested it was the “club collectively and probably the coach” so not looking for a scapegoat; to me our failures are collective efforts with a multiple factors.
In which case, we probably agree Pou!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We beat the panthers at home in round 26 of 2023 (where they were playing for the minor premiership, which they eventually won due to Brisbane losing to Melbourne in round 27) and at home again in 2024. And we are also one of only a couple of teams that have beat them at home.
They either constantly shit the bed against us or we were good when we wanted to be.
Well surely we always want to be good.
I provided a few possible reasons for recent failures and in the next post I suggested it was the “club collectively and probably the coach” so not looking for a scapegoat; to me our failures are collective efforts with a multiple factors.
In which case, we probably agree Pou!
Let's disagree to agree

JokerEel

Coach
Jim Jones is the Panfers recruitment manager was employed before Gould turned up in 2011..

Gould was sacked because he was wearing out his welcome..

Chipmunk

Coach
The Panthers are where they are today because of Gus...otherwise, why weren't they just as successful before he got there?

To implement the strategy they have, it takes a very patient and long term commitment, as you won't see the results for a decade, as we are now.

It'll likely happen again the Dogs, but again, most of the success will come once Gus has walked out the door.

JokerEel

Coach
The Panthers are where they are today because of Gus...otherwise, why weren't they just as successful before he got there?

To implement the strategy they have, it takes a very patient and long term commitment, as you won't see the results for a decade, as we are now.

It'll likely happen again the Dogs, but again, most of the success will come once Gus has walked out the door.

Gus was just a piece of the puzzle..

Ivan doesn't come to the Riff when he does there is no Nathan.

If Gus doesn't put in place the right people they don't start the process..

Dogs may have success but they may not what works at one club may not work at another..

Latest posts