What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also Gus didn't produce Cleary local product. He is arguably the GOAT. Also Yeo and Too who both are arguably the top 5 ever in their positions.
All these 3 guys come thru at similar times helped the dynasty. At age 19 Ivan made a comment that Yeo will play for Australia and be one of the best ever. Most called Yeo a dud for his first 3 or so.years in the NRL. Ivan persisted.
Most players are duds for their first three years in the NRL. It's why experience is important. Nathan Cleary is close to being the GOAT and he was no better than Jeff Robson before 2020. They need time to mature.

Gronk

Staff member
1.5 under the cap how?

Also they went out without putting up much of a fight against an average Manly side.

They do though have the making of a good side
He was $600k under this year, the rest is because Gus was paying $1M to players to play elsewhere. Next year he won't have to, so he gets all his cap. This is all probably because of his previous spending sprees anyway.

It's a bit of a spin article if you ask me.

eels_fan

First Grade

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2010 was a soft premiership once Melbourne were wiped out in round 6.

St George, Penrith, Gold Coast Titans and Wests Tigers were the remaining top 4 sides.

Can you imagine a time ever again when the Titans and Tigers are both in the top 4.

Penrith back then had not played finals since 2004 and faded in the finals pretty easily.

View attachment 95219
The Panthers were broke back then.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Something doesn't add up.

The NRL were the ones pushing for the Bears and Perth to link up otherwise I don't think the NRL were confident of a Perth team without any history.

Anyway Albo's dipshit PNG side can come in and stink up the competition instead. It's laughable to suggest a third world country has a better business case study to come into the comp then Perth.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Australian government funding is their business case. It'll be good for geopolitics. It's just uncertain whether it will benefit the NRL in the long term. How long will taxpayers be willing to fund the venture?

Gronk

Staff member
Ray Price seems to be at war with Parramatta, his former club, once again.

Speaking at the Kangaroos reunion, Price said: “My mob (Parramatta) are a pain in the arse at the moment because they’re not having a go. They won’t let me anywhere near them.”

If you go back to the Ryles interview, JR was very specific about former players being more than welcome to join the players for a meal. Just don't get in the way of training. Was he talking to Ray ¿?

Chipmunk

Coach
Something doesn't add up.

The NRL were the ones pushing for the Bears and Perth to link up otherwise I don't think the NRL were confident of a Perth team without any history.

Anyway Albo's dipshit PNG side can come in and stink up the competition instead. It's laughable to suggest a third world country has a better business case study to come into the comp then Perth.
I suspect Western Bears don't have $600 million to invest into the team over 10 years.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep 100%

Albos PNG will be a disaster on field though.

The only benefit is the money going into the game.

There side will be a laughing stock.
There is talk there will be tax incentives...if that's the case, given the tax bracket most NRL players are on, you might attract some players. I can see them attracting a similar calibre and type of player as the Dolphins if that is the case.

King-Gutho94

Coach
There is talk there will be tax incentives...if that's the case, given the tax bracket most NRL players are on, you might attract some players. I can see them attracting a similar calibre and type of player as the Dolphins if that is the case.
Yeah and doesn't that make a mockery of the salary cap supposedly the NRL claim each club gets the same amount to spend.

Technically that may be the case but getting tax breaks is a loophole in the salary cap and takes the piss out of it.

Latest posts