What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Well I didn't expect him to stay behind Moses and Brown but he had other options that would have been better than going down to Canberra and being forgotten about ..

Foggarty Weeks and Strange are all in front of him at an average Raiders side....

Or he backed himself over that lot and or didn't like our culture enough to hang around which also has to be considered.

Black Panther

Juniors
Not really you need someone with Pace that can get on the outside of his man and create an overlap out the back..

We don't need an X factory that's was BA's brain child....

Edwards at the riff isn't an X factor just has a little bit more speed than Gutho and works off his halves...
Edwards is the best fullback at setting the defensive line in the game. Plus the fittest, more often than not in the right place at the right time.

Gronk

Staff member
I’m not saying he’ll be elite, but when was the last time you saw Gutho be elite last line of defence? Our record this year and last would also indicate he isn’t great at organising defence either. Burton Speshalls I’ve seen Gutho spill and the kick Iongi took at start of highlights wasn’t exactly training run. And effort on effort, I’m sorry but Gutho has been off the mark since 2022 there as well.

I haven’t even touched on the other guy who kept Iongi out of 1st grade, who’s lack of playmaking/passing hasn’t kept him out of Australian jersey.

Do you reckon on highlight packages for Gutho they'd have him organising the defensive line?

My point really this morning was that there has been many on here who have flippantly said that it’s time for Gutho to go. I think that his loss will be underestimated by some, simply because we are pinning our hope on a rookie (or two) to fill the void.

Rookie seasons are quite often up and down and quite often those players need to be spelled in reggies just to take a breath. They also often don’t live up to expectations straightaway.

We will miss Gutho and I will be very surprised if any rookie can adequately fill his shoes in year one. Another reason why next year will be tough to string a few together IMO.

I am not against any of this BTW, but we will be very much the baby eels again and I hope that some of you merkins are patient.

Gronk

Staff member
Makes no sense for us or Volkman. We have halves covered.
How so ? Volkman is just looking for a place to play in 25. It’s not as if he’s an established NRL player at 22 and 5 games.

Delboy

First Grade
My point really this morning was that there has been many on here who have flippantly said that it’s time for Gutho to go. I think that his loss will be underestimated by some, simply because we are pinning our hope on a rookie (or two) to fill the void.

Rookie seasons are quite often up and down and quite often those players need to be spelled in reggies just to take a breath. They also often don’t live up to expectations straightaway.

We will miss Gutho and I will be very surprised if any rookie can adequately fill his shoes in year one. Another reason why next year will be tough to string a few together IMO.

I am not against any of this BTW, but we will be very much the baby eels again and I hope that some of you merkins are patient.
Would think everyone realises what an effort player Gutho is, and who”d love him to stay, but his manager is looking to extend his contract on elite fullback money. That’s the real issue, the club appears happy to for 2025, but doesn’t want to commit beyond that if he is trailed as a utility. Business decision is at the forefront of expenditure in a cap influenced roster.

That’s where it’s at, and don't forget there remains the issue of players on various options over the next 2 years, which makes decisions like this crucial.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Sometimes to move forward you have to make a tough call like putting a rookie in at fullback or like we did in 2019 with a 19 year old Dylan Brown after canning one of our more experienced halves. Difference between the two, Iongi is probably less of a risk. 2.5 years in reserve grade compared to Brown's .5 years and 3 years older. Iongi is coming into a more settled spine whereas our spine when Dyl was coming in also had Mahoney who had played under NRL 10 games.

TheCrowe

Juniors
How so ? Volkman is just looking for a place to play in 25. It’s not as if he’s an established NRL player at 22 and 5 games.

He says in the interview he wants Nrl opportunities. We already have signed Hawkins. If Gutho stays he and JPap can also play 5/8.
So he sits in reggies limiting opportunities for juniors like Lyn and Twiddle.
How does this work for either party?

Latest posts