What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I don't think our 2 clowns would even think of contacting Joey Grima/PNG or Fiji.
I'm going to play devils advocate again.

WTF would Joey Grima entertain some sort of partnership with any NRL club when the sole purpose he is up there for is to develop a pathway system for their very own taxpayer funded NRL team.

And I get your point - we have been slow and incompetent. But we have a fresh start with a new Head Coach who seems to have a solid dong on him and he's already getting things done. Why keep harping on past wrongs? If rest of the team don't get their shit together they will be out of a job soon enough.

Last edited:

Gherkin

Juniors
I'm going to play devils advocate again.

WTF would Joey Grima entertain some sort of partnership with any NRL club when the sole purpose he is up there is to develop a pathway system for their very own taxpayer funded NRL team.

And I get your point - we have been slow and incompetent. But we have a fresh start with a new Head Coach who seems to have a solid dong on him and he's already getting things done. Why keep harping on past wrongs? If rest of the team don't get their shit together they will be out of a job soon enough.
I don't think it needs to be an official partnership. Something as small as someone at the club having a conversation with him to get a heads up on some talented kids that are coming through their system. Getting a foot in the door to try and get them into our system.
There's no NRL team yet in PNG and they only have one QLD cup team, so there isn't that many opportunities for players within PNG yet. And just because a kid comes over to an Australian club in their late teens to get into an NRL system doesn't mean they won't end up back in PNG when their NRL side is established.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Something as small as someone at the club having a conversation with him to get a heads up on some talented kids that are coming through their system.
I'm 100% that we are doing this, not with Fiji or PNG - but look at all of the Qld kids that are coming into our jnr teams. Surely that nursery would have a better strike rate than looking outside the country. I'm not convinced that the Bulldogs parentship with Fiji is much more than a gimmick.

Gherkin

Juniors
I'm 100% that we are doing this, not with Fiji or PNG - but look at all of the Qld kids that are coming into our jnr teams. Surely that nursery would have a better strike rate than looking outside the country. I'm not convinced that the Bulldogs parentship with Fiji is much more than a gimmick.
I'm sure all clubs are doing it. I just think it's a bit of a unique situation with PNG with the money that will be invested there, the work they've already done to set up pathways and the fact we have a former parra guy running the show.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I'm sure all clubs are doing it. I just think it's a bit of a unique situation with PNG with the money that will be invested there, the work they've already done to set up pathways and the fact we have a former parra guy running the show.
I see your point, but the PNG side is only a couple of years away and they will need all the local talent they can get. It would be a pretty big COI for Grima to be tipping off his old club about possible NRL quality talents.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It shows the difference between a proactive guy like Gus whose looking for advantages and ways to bring talent into a club in comparison to reactive clowns we have in MON/Ben Rogers.

I don't think our 2 clowns would even think of contacting Joey Grima/PNG or Fiji.

We have had a great history with Fijian players especially in the past decade in Semi & Sivo. If you want to throw Hayne potentially in there as well.

Yet i don't think we have been smart enough to cash in.

With Semi & Sivo at there peaks it should have been the perfect time to make a dent in Fiji.

We should have had scouts/programs in Fiji offering scholarship's and building a development pathway for the past 4 or 5 years getting some of the best talent and bringing them over.

Gus had had Kikau there for 2 years and already setting up programs over there with Kikau as the face of it.

Fiji is an untapped resource when it comes to RL talent.

Just another example of us as a club not showing any innovation and potentially trying to get ahead of the rest comp.
The ROI on Fiji might not be that great. Why are the Dogs doing it and nobody else? Rich+desperate might be the reason.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hayne : Aussie

Sivo : Playing Cup for Penfers when Semi left when we signed him.

Semi : May have been scouted from Fiji, cant recall.

Out of that lot I think only Semi was scouted from the homeland. They now have the Vodaphone Cup which is a local League competition so I reckon most clubs would have scouts or connections over there now as they certainly can produce some decent athletes.
We actually brought Kamikamica over from Fiji to play in our under 20 side. He eventually became a first grader but he’s not exactly an elite talent.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Pathetic angle but hardly surprising, what happened to him was terrible but on no way should any of that condone his actions.
I was wondering when the Broncos/Mam's management were going to use that incident into a PR strategy with there buddies at Courier Mail to explain his downfall into rehab.

You could see it coming from a mile away once his manager said he checked himself to rehab.

Everyone was just waiting because you just the knew what happened in Vegas was going to brought up again as an excuse for his actions.

T.S Quint

Coach
I haven't read the Courier Mail article, so can only assume it's doing whatever it can to try and make the public sympathise with Mam?

Everyone already sees through this stunt of sending him to rehab. He will be out of there in a week and back on the nose beers before the next season starts. Idiots like this rarely learn.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Absolutely. And of course we are scouting outside our local area, just like every other NRL club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was wondering when the Broncos/Mam's management were going to use that incident into a PR strategy with there buddies at Courier Mail to explain his downfall into rehab.

You could see it coming from a mile away once his manager said he checked himself to rehab.

Everyone was just waiting because you just the knew what happened in Vegas was going to brought up again as an excuse for his actions.
This is why what happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas. Everyone knows that.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Melbourne Storm captain Harry Grant (player #188) has taken up his player option to stay at Melbourne Storm until the end of the 2026 NRL season.

Harry must have taken a paycut otherwise why would he activated his PO when he could have gouged Melbourne for more $$$$ in 9 days time.

I notice its still been pretty quiet on Dylan Brown if he is taking up for 2026.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Melbourne Storm captain Harry Grant (player #188) has taken up his player option to stay at Melbourne Storm until the end of the 2026 NRL season.

Harry must have taken a paycut otherwise why would he activated his PO when he could have gouged Melbourne for more $$$$ in 9 days time.

I notice its still been pretty quiet on Dylan Brown if he is taking up for 2026.
Melbourne’s cap might be tight and Harry might give a f**k

Latest posts