What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
Kind of why i'd like to see him back there actually ...if Nathan re signs with them long term in the next week then i'd be surprised if Gould would bring Ivan over...why would he ...he's already got who he wanted
Yep and NC is sounding like he wants his current coach as well. There is plenty of time to get together if they want. Though, I would still like to see him come over next year.

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm glad he's staying ....it would have caused problems here if Books was shoved aside ....juniors staying loyal plus you can be sure ( if Ivan had any say in things ) that Guss payed a bunch plus 10% to finally get a win to take the heat off himself.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
You have to hand it to Phil Gould, he really knows how to manipulate people to get what he wants. First the Panthers do what they can to tarnish Ivan Cleary's name to try and make it untenable for him to stay at the Tigers. Next they get to Nathan while he is at an emotional peak. Don't give him time to take a holiday and clear his head to think about things and definitely get him to sign before hearing what other clubs have to offer.
I'm guessing more manipulative games to come to get Ivan over before the end of his contract.

Das Hassler

Bench
Yep. ...only thing is i cant really see why he'd want Ivan over there now....apart from the power dad and son would weild Gus wouldnt be able to move Ivan on ( like last time) if things go pear shaped.
I'd be more than happy if we kicked '19 off with Madge and put the whole thing behind us

I'm happy if he re-signs with Penrith. He's going to cost a million plus per year and personally I don't think he's worth that much. He may move his game forward in leaps and bounds in the next couple of years but I'd rather have Brooks on his salary for next 2 years than Cleary on what he will cost.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Yep. ...only thing is i cant really see why he'd want Ivan over there now....apart from the power dad and son would weild Gus wouldnt be able to move Ivan on ( like last time) if things go pear shaped.
I'd be more than happy if we kicked '19 off with Madge and put the whole thing behind us

Yeah, fair enough. I really like Ivan and would love it if he stays but I am starting to get used to the idea that there are other good coaches out there.

Das Hassler

Bench
I was ...and to an extent still am a supporter of him... but he should know as well as anyone the damage that the dearly departed did on and off the field with their prolonged "will he or won't he" routine and as far as i'm concerned (as an at arms length supporter) he's doing the exact same thing to us no matter how we're supposed to perceive it. Happy enough with the 18 season but extremely disappointed with his seeming double standard re. the player's expected "declared" commitment to the longer term rebuild and his own ( that he said he signed on to see through) ...never thought i'd be saying that. That may change as he could well extend but that's how i see it at the moment

To add...i think a re- energised..motivated and COMMITED Madge would toughen us up to a degree not seen since the days of Warren Ryan ( at Balmain at least)

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
I was ...and to an extent still am a supporter of him... but he should know as well as anyone the damage that the dearly departed did on and off the field with their prolonged "will he or won't he" routine and as far as i'm concerned (as an at arms length supporter) he's doing the exact same thing to us no matter how we're supposed to perceive it. Happy enough with the 18 season but extremely disappointed with his seeming double standard re. the player's expected "declared" commitment to the longer term rebuild and his own ( that he said he signed on to see through) ...never thought i'd be saying that. That may change as he could well extend but that's how i see it at the moment

To add...i think a re- energised..motivated and COMMITED Madge would toughen us up to a degree not seen since the days of Warren Ryan ( at Balmain at least)
Ahh the old Wayne Bennett trick, Great one that. I'd love to see Madge with a decent fitness coach signed as well.

super_coach

First Grade
IC is a professional coach who needs plenty of wins to keep himself employed now and in the future. He has a contract for two years and will be motivated. What happens in two years who knows, but we have two years to make those calls

BrotherJim05

Bench
The more I think about it, I don't think its a good idea keeping IC as head coach if he is making plans to move to Penrith in 2021. I'm not saying IC will purposefully do a shit job, or not try his best with recruitment, but it will be impossible to attract talent if there is speculation on whether or not he is staying. Furthermore, IC may subconsciously make decisions that benefit Penrith in the long term (without realise he is doing so).

I reckon offer him a 1 year contract extension and see how he takes it. If he declines then ask why, if he takes it then you know he's not interested in leaving

Tiger05

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...hree-year-deal-from-2021-20180918-p504ie.html

I'm not sure how true this is. The SMH is becoming more like the Tele every day.

I am actually cool with this if it happens but we shouldn't move him on unless it suits us.

The Tigers will likely seek compensation if Cleary wants out, either through player transfers or a financial settlement

I think a financial settlement is dumb. Getting Waqa Blake to fix our left edge though would be great.

Shredder

Juniors
Im not a fan of keeping any player or coach here who doesnt want to be here.

Same at work, if I have staff that leave, we generally dont make them work their notice period.

Get a straight answer from him and move on.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Story in today's SMH that Penrith are tabling Ivan an offer starting 2021. Obviously hoping he agrees and then gets an early release from Tigers. I'm not sure how credible any of the Ivan & Nathan stories are as I suspect they all originate from the office of Phil Gould who is obviously trying to engineer something. I still find it unbelievable that Ivan would consider going back to work under the guy who sacked him a few years ago.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Panthers offer Ivan Cleary a three-year deal from 2021
By Adrian Proszenko
19 September 2018 — 12:00am

Penrith are deep in negotiations to bring Ivan Cleary back to the club from 2021 in a move that would place pressure on Wests Tigers to release him immediately.

Cleary is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2020 but Fairfax Media can reveal that the Panthers are in the process of offering him a three-year deal from 2021. The development comes as his son, gun halfback Nathan, is poised to sign a contract until the end of 2023 - one that would mirror his father’s tenure should he join immediately.

The Clearys have made no secret of their desire to work together and the latest move could result in them again joining forces at the foot of the mountains in the off-season. The family stands to enjoy a $10 million-plus windfall if both Clearys are at the Panthers over the next five years.

The Tigers have every right to force Cleary senior to see out the remainder of his contract after throwing him a lifeline after he was sacked at the Panthers. But the situation will almost certainly become untenable if he has made a long-term commitment to a rival team.

Cleary has done little to douse speculation over his future after it emerged the Panthers wanted him back to replace Anthony Griffin. The former Warriors mentor has refused to take any questions on the issue, having addressed the matter only in a brief written statement after the news broke. The 47-year-old’s mantra at the Tigers has been “on the bus”, but it remains to be seen if the Penrith offer will result him disembarking.

Nathan Cleary had initially outlined his plan to make a call on his future on his 21st birthday, a milestone he reaches in November. However, he told Fairfax Media last weekend that he was keen to fast-track negotiations, hinting “It will be very, very hard to walk away” from the Panthers. Penrith supremo Phil Gould indicated a deal was imminent on the Channel Nine's 100% Footy on Monday night and deal is expected to be formalised and announced by the end of the week.

The Tigers had hoped a Cleary family reunion would occur at Concord and were preparing to make a big-money play once Nathan hit the open market on November 1. However, it now appears they could be without both Clearys in a matter of weeks if Ivan signs with Penrith and requests an immediate release or is asked to move immediately.

The Tigers will likely seek compensation if Cleary wants out, either through player transfers or a financial settlement. Regardless, there are plenty of coaching replacement options. Premiership winners Michael Maguire and Des Hasler are club-less, Trent Barrett is on borrowed time at Manly, Wayne Bennett could consider longer-term options with only a one-year deal at Brisbane, while Kevin Walters, Laurie Daley, Geoff Toovey, Neil Henry, Todd Payten and Justin Holbrook are among the other alternatives.

Although the Tigers missed the finals - they finished in ninth spot - Cleary’s stocks have risen after overseeing a rebuild at a club many tipped to come last. The bond between the Cleary clan is undeniable, as evidenced by Ivan’s decision to donate a kidney to his brother Ash.

However, Cleary senior will come under heavy criticism if he doesn’t commit solely to the Tigers. He convinced a number of the club’s biggest-name recruits to join and play for him, some of them signing long-term deals or subsequently renewing their contracts.

There is also the question of why Cleary would want to go to a club that only recently sacked him. Gould said Cleary was “tired”, ushering in Griffin as his replacement. However, Gould then sacked Griffin with more than two years remaining on his contract, leaving Cameron Ciraldo to oversee the team in a caretaker role over the past six weeks.

It remains to be seen how, and for how long, Gould and Cleary can work together this time around if the later decides to return to his old post.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...hree-year-deal-from-2021-20180918-p504ie.html

Ned Kelly

Juniors
IC is a professional coach who needs plenty of wins to keep himself employed now and in the future. He has a contract for two years and will be motivated. What happens in two years who knows, but we have two years to make those calls

Gould loves to say what circumstances make it untenable for a coach to stay at a club. His journo pals like to say it would be untenable for Cleary to see out his contract if it is known he is moving on. Absolute rubbish. We could sign a quality coach this year or next year to take over when he leaves, giving players plenty of notice to decide if they will come or not.

I suspect players current and future will be confident in Pascoe and Go getting a quality coach no matter what happens.

I don't see any need to panic.

I would like to see Cleary finish his contract so that future signings any where in the NRL will know that if they sign a contract they will have to see it out and those in positions of power, no matter who they are, can't change that.

Last edited: