What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Das Hassler

Bench
Chair would get a small salary plus allowances for meetings and travel etc. The big bucks job is the CEO.

That's right.....expect some excretion from Benny about her having a hand in us losing marvel mitch and Sir" it is what it is".....some free alan jones vomit wouldn't surprise as well
Thanks for the effort Marina....mostly much appreciated i'd say

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/2a4f564e60b83b0746a342c7499e07e4
NRL finals shake-up: Top 10, wildcard round... but is it a game-changer or gimmick?
Under a new proposal, the NRL is set for a massive top eight finals shake-up in 2020 with the introduction of a wildcard round to be played between four teams.
In what will make the race to the finals more exciting and minimise dead rubbers, the proposal is that teams that finish seventh to 10th on the NRL ladder will compete against each other for the final two spots in the top eight.

The teams that finish first to sixth will earn a week off.
If the change had been implemented last season, the Wests Tigers and Canberra would’ve had the chance to break into the finals despite six and 10 points behind the Warriors who finished in eighth.

The fourth team that would’ve made up the wildcard round would’ve been St George Illawarra who finished in seventh.

Eighth will play ninth, while seventh will play 10th for spots in the elimination finals.

The NRL finals format will follow following the wildcard round.
The proposal from new NRL head of football, Graham Annesley, will go to the game’s powerbrokers for a final sign-off.

“It’s probably not fair on the face of it, but in any finals system it’s not fair in itself,” Annesley said.

“Because you are playing a competition over four weeks involving eight teams where not everyone plays each other. All finals systems are inherently unfair to some degree.

“It’s all a balancing act.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said: “There’s some work we’re doing behind the scenes, which today we’re starting to brief some people on including our clubs about a different type of format from our finals series.

“It’s very much exploring it as a concept rather than signing it off.”

According to NRL figures, the introduction of the wildcard weekend would reduce dead matches - featuring a team that cannot make the finals - from 22 to 13 based on the last 11 years.

Those figures also show there is a decline of around 3,300 in crowd numbers for those games, as well as an eight per cent drop in television ratings.

“It’s all intended to try and maintain interest in the competition for the participants, for our fans and members and people who come through the gates each week,” Annesley said.

A decision is likely to be made in the coming months.

mepelthwack

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/2a4f564e60b83b0746a342c7499e07e4
NRL finals shake-up: Top 10, wildcard round... but is it a game-changer or gimmick?
Under a new proposal, the NRL is set for a massive top eight finals shake-up in 2020 with the introduction of a wildcard round to be played between four teams.
In what will make the race to the finals more exciting and minimise dead rubbers, the proposal is that teams that finish seventh to 10th on the NRL ladder will compete against each other for the final two spots in the top eight.

If the change had been implemented last season, the Wests Tigers and Canberra would’ve had the chance to break into the finals despite six and 10 points behind the Warriors who finished in eighth.

The fourth team that would’ve made up the wildcard round would’ve been St George Illawarra who finished in seventh.

Eighth will play ninth, while seventh will play 10th for spots in the elimination finals.

The proposal from new NRL head of football, Graham Annesley, will go to the game’s powerbrokers for a final sign-off.

“It’s probably not fair on the face of it, but in any finals system it’s not fair in itself,” Annesley said.

“Because you are playing a competition over four weeks involving eight teams where not everyone plays each other. All finals systems are inherently unfair to some degree.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said: “There’s some work we’re doing behind the scenes, which today we’re starting to brief some people on including our clubs about a different type of format from our finals series.

According to NRL figures, the introduction of the wildcard weekend would reduce dead matches - featuring a team that cannot make the finals - from 22 to 13 based on the last 11 years.

Those figures also show there is a decline of around 3,300 in crowd numbers for those games, as well as an eight per cent drop in television ratings.

“It’s all intended to try and maintain interest in the competition for the participants, for our fans and members and people who come through the gates each week,” Annesley said.

You could just imagine couldn’t you, Tigers finally play well enough to come 7th then Parra limps to 10th, gets a few dud calls and lucky bounces and we still manage to miss the semis yet again. Big no from me.

I would only support playoff for 8th, provided the teams finished on equal points, like how they used to do playoff for 5th in the old days.

Tiger Ted

Bench

If this concept is introduced u can put ur house on us finishing in 11th spot !

gordsy

Juniors
Let's be honest this is a blatant cash grab from a management group too stupid to find new ways to attract money to the game, cut unnecessary spending or grow existing revenue through Investment.
Plus it helps distracts from players who keeping finding themselves splashed across the paper for negative reasons.

The worst part is plenty of suckers would pay to attend games to say their team make the 10 on the cinderella type notion that they could actually win the comp, only to be gutted when they get smashed when they play a real contender, if they came close to making it that far.

macnaz

Staff member
Let's be honest this is a blatant cash grab from a management group too stupid to find new ways to attract money to the game, cut unnecessary spending or grow existing revenue through Investment.
Plus it helps distracts from players who keeping finding themselves splashed across the paper for negative reasons.

The worst part is plenty of suckers would pay to attend games to say their team make the 10 on the cinderella type notion that they could actually win the comp, only to be gutted when they get smashed when they play a real contender, if they came close to making it that far.
The NRL is getting record revenue and making deteriorating profits..
They spend f**k all on promotions and juniors so where is it going ?

The Rosco

Bench
Slightly off topic . . . . . Is it just me, or do some of you have a sense of karma dealing out her justice on Gus, Cleary and the 'riff, with all this video business . . . . for the screwing over that they gave us ?
You know . . . what goes around comes around ?
I hope some of you agree, otherwise I'm a bad bad person.

simmo05

Bench
Its just a stupid attempt to deflect attention from all the other crap, seeing as there are no poor clubs to shaft at the moment

macnaz

Staff member
Slightly off topic . . . . . Is it just me, or do some of you have a sense of karma dealing out her justice on Gus, Cleary and the 'riff, with all this video business . . . . for the screwing over that they gave us ?
Yeah that Cleary character seems to attract drama, glad he took his shit elsewhere :wink:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
They're on Ivan's Party Bus.

partybus-barcelona.jpg

Das Hassler

Bench

Hard to think of a reason to feel sorry for them for enduring a bit of destabilization. And..If the video was put out there by a former teammate....well... former teammates tend to still have mates on the former team so there may be a bit of distraction to chew on for awhile yet ( insert tears here)

gordsy

Juniors
I feel sorry for the players in question. Having a mate be accused of leaking videos of you is awful.
As long as everything was consentual with what happened and the filming then that stuff should stay behind closed doors and who ever leaked it should be booted out of the game for good as well as be charged by the cops.
That said if they didn't get the ladies permission or slapped her around because they were being merkins then I hope they never play again and they have the same thing happen to them in Long Bay.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

I love this article in today's Herald. Definitely a karma thing.

Former NSW coach Daley, a co-host of 2KY’s Big Sky Sports Breakfast program, took aim at the embattled club.

“It’s not good for your brand,” Daley said on air on Wednesday morning.

“If you’re a parent, which I am, at the moment if I have a son good enough to play and if Penrith were in discussions with my son, I wouldn’t want my son to go and play at Penrith.

“And I wouldn’t want my daughter to go out with any Penrith player.”

Asked if the dissemination of lewd videos was a more widespread problem across the game, Daley said: “At the moment, how many people have been charged? How many people have been involved (in videos) released at the moment?

“There’s three players, four players from Penrith, compared to other clubs.

“What I’m saying is if I’ve got my son or my daughter, I don’t want them going anywhere near Penrith ...

“If I’ve got proof or evidence that other people are doing it, I’ll lay into them as well. But at the moment it’s Penrith and Penrith haven’t got a great culture.”

Daley’s comments are sure to escalate tensions between himself and Panthers supremo Phil Gould. Gould, NSW’s most successful State of Origin coach, was scathing of what he described as a toxic culture at the Blues while Daley was in charge, to the point where he threatened not to allow his Penrith players to be involved in rugby league’s showpiece event.

"I don't want anyone down in that culture at all,” Gould said in 2017 after NSW players were involved in a series of alcohol-fuelled incidents.

“I don't want any of our current players in that environment ...

"It all starts with leadership. Who's going to take control over what the personality of this team [is]? I think it's a dog's breakfast, and it has been for some time.”

Latest posts