What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Pezz70

Juniors
I reckon Benji has been unreal. Brooks isn't performing as he was last year. He hasn't been bad though.

Brooks has deadset been the best player in the team!!! He has improved out of sight this year. In a quality team he’d go close to being the best half in the comp.

He needs to realise he has it all over Mitch Moses and just bash him when they play each other. Moses shades him everytime and it’s not because he is a better player.

Pezz70

Juniors
Unfortunately for ball players to be effective there needs to be someone the opposing team is shitting themselves when they get it. At this point our team has none and it is a simple task of other teams sitting back and sliding to handle our attack.

The way I see it, until this club develops or buys a couple of strike players with speed including back rowers that can run into holes Wests Tigers will continue to be a team where the better teams pencil in the two points at the beginning of the year.

I mentioned it after the game yesty, our forwards lack intensity have a look at the kick returns by each teams forwards at kick off. Parramatta has intent we didn’t go anywhere near as hard. It didn’t make a big difference in yesty a game buts it a true indicator of our forwards lack of go!!!

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks has deadset been the best player in the team!!! He has improved out of sight this year. In a quality team he’d go close to being the best half in the comp.

He needs to realise he has it all over Mitch Moses and just bash him when they play each other. Moses shades him everytime and it’s not because he is a better player.

I think Benji has been better than Brooks and Brooks hasn't been as good as what he was last year. You look at last week and he kept putting up the same bomb to Ferguson. It was the wrong option and he should have gone away from that.

His defence has been unreal. His running game is always good although he hasn't done enough this season. I think he just needs to improve on some of those last tackle plays.

To be fair to Brooks he doesn't have weapons around him. When Chee-Kam is there he looks better because Chee-Kam gives him a great running option.

Lawrence also has been injured and isn't in top form.

Pezz70

Juniors
I think Benji has been better than Brooks and Brooks hasn't been as good as what he was last year. You look at last week and he kept putting up the same bomb to Ferguson. It was the wrong option and he should have gone away from that.

His defence has been unreal. His running game is always good although he hasn't done enough this season. I think he just needs to improve on some of those last tackle plays.

To be fair to Brooks he doesn't have weapons around him. When Chee-Kam is there he looks better because Chee-Kam gives him a great running option.

I agree for the most part with what you’ve said bar the comment on Brooks being better last year. This year has been his best year in NRL by a long long way. There’s some merit in your comments about kicking to Ferguson, but look at the other options, Gutherson, and Sivo, I think it may have been part of the game to kick to Ferguson, he runs hard and straight but he isn’t a threat to the line that the other two can be. Had a quick look at their 2019 stats, Sivo shades Ferguson, Gutherson not so good, but obviously the aim is to put it into a corner and keep them there, so you go the lesser threat in the corner I guess. In saying that if your game plan isn’t working then you have to make some adaptations. Maguire might be a no plan B type of coach. One thing I did notice in Parra back three stats is that they all miss a lot of tackles

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors

Fair, but your first bit in the comment points to a long term issue with Brooks- he is no thinker on field, nor is he an organiser and his ability to lead the team around the paddock has never been great. I'd shift him to 5/8 for a few weeks and let Marshall go to 1/2 to see if Brooks is better suited to 5/8. We have to know what positions to recruit in.

Tiger05

First Grade
Fair, but your first bit in the comment points to a long term issue with Brooks- he is no thinker on field, nor is he an organiser and his ability to lead the team around the paddock has never been great. I'd shift him to 5/8 for a few weeks and let Marshall go to 1/2 to see if Brooks is better suited to 5/8. We have to know what positions to recruit in.

I agree with this but they are probably playing that way anyway. I don't think it would make a big difference. I think we have to stop thinking of Brooks as the team's organizer. A couple of players do that on field - mainly Benji, Robbie and Brooks.

Even if Brooks takes less of the late tackle plays he is going to be fairly heavily involved. He needs to make the right decision when he has the ball in his hand.

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree with this but they are probably playing that way anyway. I don't think it would make a big difference. I think we have to stop thinking of Brooks as the team's organizer. A couple of players do that on field - mainly Benji, Robbie and Brooks.

Even if Brooks takes less of the late tackle plays he is going to be fairly heavily involved. He needs to make the right decision when he has the ball in his hand.
Agree, but Benji & Robbie are not certainties to be here next year, we need to start looking towards next season now. Otherwise we are going to be in a bigger hole than we are already in.

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree, but Benji & Robbie are not certainties to be here next year, we need to start looking towards next season now. Otherwise we are going to be in a bigger hole than we are already in.

The concerning part is that we could be in a worse position next year. We need to buy or develop some gun players. It also looks like we need to get some players off the books or somehow get them into first grade playing good footy.

I think we can develop a much better passing game and try kicking away from defenders or to the in goal area.

Every back should be able to kick into space at different times as we need to keep defences unsettled. Otherwise they simply slide across and snuff us out.

We can’t win games with our current kicking roster and we have choices. Wtf Madge?!

Our forwards are not built for the blunt attack, but they are mobile and courageous defenders.

We look quite good with some speed from dummy half, but that’s very rare at the moment.

Melbourne don’t have the greatest side on paper but their ordinary players get the job done, week in, week out.

I think the attack had more whizz in it last week we need to be more positive with the footy. It was good that we fought back like good sides do.

I am thinking we are seeing Madge trying to iron out weaknesses week to week and the players are better defenders. But we can iron out a lot of our attacking failings with more flair and enterprise. Another good status test v raiders who have hit their straps.

I think people have written us off, but there is enough basic talent to slip us into the 8.

Das Hassler

Bench
With Brooks durability..toughness and hitting as hard as he does with his one on one defence i'd really love to see how he would go at 9....i think he could go as well as Toovey.
Won't happen of course but i think he's made for hooker.

Pezz70

Juniors
With Brooks durability..toughness and hitting as hard as he does with his one on one defence i'd really love to see how he would go at 9....i think he could go as well as Toovey.

Mmmmm he is not quite the turnstile he once was, and he is deceptively quick

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yep I’ve been thinking for a while that he has the makings of a decent 9.Hopefully Madden swiftly comes on coz we need a long term gun organiser.Otherwise we need to recruit a quality game manager ASAP.

Das Hassler

Bench
Brooks is quick...passes well off the ground the times he does find himself at dummy half ..and would handle 40 + tackles over 80 munutes standing on his head ... his (in goal) short kicking game is as good as Farah's.
Again...just a what if as we have 9's waiting their turn but he could be better than than any of them.
I'll go further...i'd be happy to see him at 9 next year with Benji and Reynolds in the halves...lets face it...Brooks will never get a go at SOO No.7 so what would be the harm ?

OldSchoolTiger

Juniors
Reckon he could make 30 plus effective tackles a week no matter if it was a fullback or a front rower ?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Hearing reports that Arrow wants out of Titans and is looking to move to Sydney. Tigers, Bulldogs and Eels are all interested.

Offload Packer and Mcqueen and throw that money at Arrow. He's the type of player that will perform week in week out regardless of how our club is travelling. Robbie will likely retire this year so we need a long term leader in the middle of the field.

Slim chance we would be able to sign him but f**k me it would restore my faith in our club.

Das Hassler

Bench
Reckon he could make 30 plus effective tackles a week no matter if it was a fullback or a front rower ?

Certainly as well or better than most current 9's in the comp...if Ben Hunt can manage at SOO level then Brooks could in the NRL
To add....some of Brooks front on tackles are as jarring as Lawrence's best...his defense is still surprising quite a few of the commentators but it shouldnt. ..he's been very effective for quite awhile

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

He would probably be a good dummy half but why bother. He is going pretty well in the halves and Liddle looks pretty good at 9.

Tiger05

First Grade