What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I think you'll find if Hodgson goes anywhere it'll be to Titans in a swap for Fogarty. He's been a great player but unfortunately age & injuries have impacted him massively over the last two seasons. Not what we need at the club. Outside backs & a hard nosed prop & back rower should be our priorities.

Tiger05

First Grade
Why stupid?

He is at the backend of his career and we have two hookers that are starting their careers. I'd stick with the youth.

To be fair Liddle showed last year that he can't go 80 minutes but I'm not sure Hodgson can either.

stryker

First Grade
Hooker/dummy half is a huge weakness of ours…both in attack and defence.
Our ruck middle is not tight enough and usually opens up in the last 20 of most games. With the exception of the occasional quick scoot, we have zero creativity/variation coming out of dummy half.
Hodgson would supply experience and capability in both areas as well as provide a secondary mentoring role (along with Rob) for whoever we keep out of Liddle and Simpkin.

stryker

First Grade
Additionally, I’d add that we have no leadership in the spine.
Our most experienced by far is a shit tradesman who is just in it for the cash, Doueihi is on his P plates still whilst Laurie, Liddle and Simpkin are rocking L Plates.

Tiger05

First Grade
Hooker/dummy half is a huge weakness of ours…both in attack and defence.
Our ruck middle is not tight enough and usually opens up in the last 20 of most games. With the exception of the occasional quick scoot, we have zero creativity/variation coming out of dummy half.
Hodgson would supply experience and capability in both areas as well as provide a secondary mentoring role (along with Rob) for whoever we keep out of Liddle and Simpkin.

I agree that the position is a problem. I think mentoring is BS. The players either have the talent including work ethic and temperament or they don't. Mentoring to me is a negative. It says the player may not be able to hold his spot in the team on performance.

Hodgson is turning 32. He didn't have a great season last season. He is better than Liddle now but how much better and how long will that last.

In saying that I reckon he'd be a good signing. I just wouldn't give Liddle up to get him.

Tiger05

First Grade
Additionally, I’d add that we have no leadership in the spine.
Our most experienced by far is a shit tradesman who is just in it for the cash, Doueihi is on his P plates still whilst Laurie, Liddle and Simpkin are rocking L Plates.

Mostly agreed. I don't think Brooks is just in it for the cash.

Laurie and Brooks were the joint players of the year and Laurie was injured at the end of the season. How do these guys stack up against Tommy Turbo or Nathan Cleary ? Our spine is miles off the top teams. We have to improve a f**ken lot.

Hodgson is better than what we have. It'd be an improvement.

I think Hastings even if Hodgson comes is our key signing. Surely he gets the 6 or 7 role next season and he runs the team around. I don't care if they give him the 6 jumper because I assume he will play the same role.

gordsy

Juniors
If mentoring is a waste of money (and i think it can be) then you have to ask yourself what's the point of employing Benji and Robbie. Also people look to put a lot of stock in a players talent in terms of how good a mentor they are. Daley, Stuart, Meninga, Johns. All wonderful players, all had struggles in some form of coaching. Two of the best current coaches would no doubt be regarded as less talented players, Bellamy and Robinson.

stryker

First Grade
I agree that the position is a problem. I think mentoring is BS. The players either have the talent including work ethic and temperament or they don't. Mentoring to me is a negative. It says the player may not be able to hold his spot in the team on performance.
I see mentoring as a seasoned professional top grade player aiding with the transition of a lower grade/new player to the professional ranks.
Sure we can expect a certain level from the young blokes but there is far more to being a professional footballer than just being able to catch, tackle, run, kick and pass.

Shredder

Juniors
I wouldnt call Hodgson a gun player, Id call him a good player with a strong desire to win.

Its the desire to win bit that we need more than anything else.

And hes probably a better player than both the young fellas we have right now.

MasterTiger

Juniors
I wouldnt call Hodgson a gun player, Id call him a good player with a strong desire to win.

Its the desire to win bit that we need more than anything else.

And hes probably a better player than both the young fellas we have right now.
If he does come to the club I think his main asset will be his talking game on the field .... calling plays and directing other players. We are sadly lacking that type of direction at the moment from anyone in the current squad.

Latest posts