What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

He played all his juniors and flegg/nsw cup with Easts as a centre or fullback, he didn’t play wing until he came to us where he got like 2 games in nsw cup then straight into NRL.

20 years ago wing/center and even fullback were fairly interchangeable, the modern game has them needing entirely different skill sets.

Im not going off and saying he’ll be a good NRL player, however the most comfortable he has looked in the top grade was those 63mins at center against the Rabbits, a team who made the GF.
Worth persisting with as long as they give him a run at centre. As Ted says, it's the only time he looked half decent.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Canberra Times Article today, behind a paywall but managed to copy it from elsewhere:

The Canberra Raiders are anticipating hooker Josh Hodgson to report to day one of preseason training this week, despite recent speculation surrounding his immediate future which has been linked to the Wests Tigers. Hodgson is scheduled to report for testing on Friday alongside his NRL teammates, and the Raiders’ coaching staff expect the 32-year-old to take his place at the club’s Braddon headquarters. Suggestions the Englishman was being pursued by the Tigers emerged last month, although any deal which facilitates a potential switch to the joint venture appears to have hit a roadblock with the two clubs reportedly unable to agree upon how much each team should pay of Hodgson’s 2022 contract, believed to be worth $900,000. He declined to comment on his immediate future when contacted by The Canberra Times on Tuesday. The 2022 season would be Hodgson’s eighth at the Raiders, should he remain in the capital, and the last of a long-term contract he signed in 2017

Also worth noting that Michelle Bishop said on Vossy's show this morning that she has heard the Hodgson deal is almost done and to expect him at the Tigers soon. Basically all the media are guessing and the only people who really know what's going on are the Tigers and Raiders.

Tigerm

First Grade
Canberra Times Article today, behind a paywall but managed to copy it from elsewhere:

The Canberra Raiders are anticipating hooker Josh Hodgson to report to day one of preseason training this week, despite recent speculation surrounding his immediate future which has been linked to the Wests Tigers. Hodgson is scheduled to report for testing on Friday alongside his NRL teammates, and the Raiders’ coaching staff expect the 32-year-old to take his place at the club’s Braddon headquarters. Suggestions the Englishman was being pursued by the Tigers emerged last month, although any deal which facilitates a potential switch to the joint venture appears to have hit a roadblock with the two clubs reportedly unable to agree upon how much each team should pay of Hodgson’s 2022 contract, believed to be worth $900,000. He declined to comment on his immediate future when contacted by The Canberra Times on Tuesday. The 2022 season would be Hodgson’s eighth at the Raiders, should he remain in the capital, and the last of a long-term contract he signed in 2017

Also worth noting that Michelle Bishop said on Vossy's show this morning that she has heard the Hodgson deal is almost done and to expect him at the Tigers soon. Basically all the media are guessing and the only people who really know what's going on are the Tigers and Raiders.
Cheers, just wish something would happen either way?

BrotherJim05

Bench
I like the idea of Hodgson but if him and Peachy are our only signings then our 2022 season is f**ked. We need another back rower and centre to complete the roster but it doesn't look like we are even pursuing anyone

stryker

First Grade
Are you guys hearing rumours of other Raiders players possibly heading this way?
Im hearing the names Tapine and Bateman. Chuck in Papali’i and Hodgo…are we over the cap yet? Lol

Tigerm

First Grade
Are you guys hearing rumours of other Raiders players possibly heading this way?
Im hearing the names Tapine and Bateman. Chuck in Papali’i and Hodgo…are we over the cap yet? Lol
Isn't Bateman playing in England?

Papali and Hodgson seem to have some steam though?

Tiger05

First Grade

Papali’i and Hodgo have been mentioned. The other two are good players. We'd have a gun forward pack.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Thanks for adding some more names to the rumor mill. It was getting a bit quiet for a moment there.

Tigers management are doing a great job of keeping the marquee player we are allegedly going to sign under wraps.

Still, as our PM said "It's not a race" and we all know how well that strategy went.

Attachments

• 1637116807786.png
    1637116807786.png
    350.2 KB · Views: 2

Vozzy

Juniors
The "marquee" player will probably just end up being Josh Hodgson who is rumored anyway. Kinda like the Adam Elliott thing. We had been in the running for a Adam Elliott who is an average forward for 6 months and Silverdale acts like he was the first to hear about it cos his mate goes to the same dog park as Justin Pascoe's mother in law.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

NRL transfer news: Eels star Eels Isaiah Papali’i signs with Wests Tigers​

After Marate Niukore jumped ship to the Warriors, Parramatta have lost another back-row star to a rival club thanks to a monster offer.

Michael Carayannis, Brent Read and Jamie Pandaram

November 18, 2021 - 11:31AM

6fa7ab9a051bb5c3273b75a9618ed77d

Parramatta have lost their second star back-rower in as many weeks with the Wests Tigers landing a crucial blow by adding Eels strike player Isaiah Papali’i on a big money three-year deal.
The Eels have now lost Marata Niukore and Papali’I in successive weeks after Niukore opted to join the Warriors.
The Eels were blown out of the water by their rivals with both players commanding more than $600,000 to make the move.
Parramatta Eels back-rower Isaiah Papali'i. Picture: NRL Photos

Papali’i was a revelation this year after joining the Eels on a cut-price deal after being cast aside from the Warriors.
He will remain at the Eels in 2022 before joining the Tigers in 2023. It is a huge coup for the Wests Tigers under new head of football Tim Sheens.
It is Sheens’ first significant signing under his watch.

Vic Mackey

Referee

NRL transfer news: Eels star Eels Isaiah Papali’i signs with Wests Tigers​

After Marate Niukore jumped ship to the Warriors, Parramatta have lost another back-row star to a rival club thanks to a monster offer.

Michael Carayannis, Brent Read and Jamie Pandaram

November 18, 2021 - 11:31AM

6fa7ab9a051bb5c3273b75a9618ed77d

Parramatta have lost their second star back-rower in as many weeks with the Wests Tigers landing a crucial blow by adding Eels strike player Isaiah Papali’i on a big money three-year deal.
The Eels have now lost Marata Niukore and Papali’I in successive weeks after Niukore opted to join the Warriors.
The Eels were blown out of the water by their rivals with both players commanding more than $600,000 to make the move.
Parramatta Eels back-rower Isaiah Papali'i. Picture: NRL Photos'i. Picture: NRL Photos

Papali’i was a revelation this year after joining the Eels on a cut-price deal after being cast aside from the Warriors.
He will remain at the Eels in 2022 before joining the Tigers in 2023. It is a huge coup for the Wests Tigers under new head of football Tim Sheens.
It is Sheens’ first significant signing under his watch.

Thats a huge signing if true. Some will say its overs but $600k for a 23 year old who just won Dally M second rower of the year and POTY for the team who came 6th is decent IMO.

The "marquee" player will probably just end up being Josh Hodgson who is rumored anyway. Kinda like the Adam Elliott thing. We had been in the running for a Adam Elliott who is an average forward for 6 months and Silverdale acts like he was the first to hear about it cos his mate goes to the same dog park as Justin Pascoe's mother in law.

Boo hoo.

You forget I was the first person to call it done and dusted when we missed out

It’s a pretty reliable dog park, plenty of “leads”

For the record, this is not my rumoured marquee.

Last edited: