What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
Yes but you are on the record many, many times as accepting mediocrity.
I expect us to make the 8 in 2021 at a minimum.
Failure to do so should see carnage in the front and back of house.

I love this.I'm on the record for accepting mediocrity. Did I sign something and how does my opinion even matter.

I reckon we could make the 8 in 2021 but a lot has to go right for that to happen. Personally I'm happy if the club appears to be making good decisions. I think the team is building well but I don't believe the squad is a top 8 squad. Do you honestly believe that the team we have is definitely a top 8 team ?

I hope you don't run a business or anything.

stryker

First Grade
I love this.I'm on the record for accepting mediocrity. Did I sign something and how does my opinion even matter.

I reckon we could make the 8 in 2021 but a lot has to go right for that to happen. Personally I'm happy if the club appears to be making good decisions. I think the team is building well but I don't believe the squad is a top 8 squad. Do you honestly believe that the team we have is definitely a top 8 team ?

What does running a business have to do with this?

You seem a nice enough guy but you say some stupid and at times, completely contradictive stuff...to the extent it would seem more than one person uses your account.
You prefer to look good rather than actually be good as evidenced by your own words above - You are the next year guy and you give the club a free pass when they don’t achieve goals. It’s always rebuilding for something that never comes.

Yes they should make the 8. They should have made it a handful of times in the past decade but our weak culture and loser mentality prevented that happening.
Yes I’m mad at our ‘leadership’. I want Pascoe out the f**ken door. He is weak and couldn’t lead a sex pest to a brothel. If we fail again next year he has to go.

To answer your statement, yes I do run a business. Now allow me to retort...you are a teacher, I don’t know what or where but you are within the education system. Correct?

Fordy20

Juniors
f**ken bullshit.
That will be a decade of incompetence and Madges third f**kup in a row.

It's more like 15 years of incompetence. The club rewarded Sheens with a contract extension for missing the finals twice after winning the premiership. It had to be a board decision to reward such mediocrity, because not only did Steve Noyce quit a mere six months afterwards, but Scotty Longmuir was sacked as soon as he tried to implement some accountability for Sheens. This made Stephen Humphreys a lame duck CEO, who had no choice to extend Sheens again after we made the finals in 2010.

After failing to make the finals and failing to rebuild the club in 2012, the board finally cut Sheens loose. But since then, we haven't had a coach for more than two years. Once Madge wins three games next season, that will give him the second most total wins of any coach in charge of our club. That shows how many coaches we've burnt through and this practice of churning through coaches hasn't delivered results. Normally you'd expect a coach should be able to get results in three years, but the with the state our cap was in when he signed up, I'd be counting next year as Year 1.
Yes I’m mad at our ‘leadership’. I want Pascoe out the f**ken door. He is weak and couldn’t lead a sex pest to a brothel. If we fail again next year he has to go

Hard to argue with. He was asleep at the wheel and let the club sign some of the ridiculous contracts that we will still be shackled by in 2022. If we don't make the finals next year it will be a direct consequence of this.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think some are looking at past history (where mistakes were made but can't be changed) and not looking at now.

I think the club is doing good things all over the place, especially in the footy department, we have made some good management & player signings and I think we may finally get into the 8 next season, once there, we have the cash and soon second to none facilities where players will see we are a club on the up and start looking a bit more seriously at us, as a destination.

I believe the future will see us as a premier club sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
To answer your statement, yes I do run a business. Now allow me to retort...you are a teacher, I don’t know what or where but you are within the education system. Correct?

Hey mate- you make me laugh. I asked if you ran a business because I feel sorry for your staff. It must suck to be them.

I am not a teacher. I worked for a big bank in IT. I managed projects/teams delivering data solutions mainly for regulatory reporting. I'm currently retired.

Personally I think the club is doing pretty well in a tough situation. Sure we've had some cock-ups in the past but I feel we are heading in the right direction.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Yes we could make 8 although it’s a tall order coz of our deficient spine.Hence why we don’t yet have a top 8 squad in spite of the fact that the club is finally making all the right decisions re recruitment & retention.
To make the 8 we’d need AD & Liddle to have big seasons which they are very capable of & we need the 1 to be competent plus Madden to put pressure on Brooks.

WT Unity

Juniors
Back to the posts about signing B.Smith. I heard mail late last week whilst in Newcastle at a golf day that his preferred option is Queensland. The story I got (which I disclose was 3rd / 4th hand - so not saying it's gospel) came from someone linking back to Nathan Brown who said that an early inquiry from the Warriors went nowhere as they were told he wasn't interested in a move back across the ditch. The Smith camp is apparently keen on Queensland.
Then over the weekend I heard Brett Read stating a similar story suggesting Broncos or Titans with Broncs probably in a better cap position.
I think we'd be unlikely at this stage...

Those who want to perpetually whinge and hate on and drag the club down for historical mistakes or whatever, you should start your own thread and keep each other company.

What the f**k can anyone do about matters of the past?

If supporting the club makes you so unhappy and depressed, wtf are you doing here?

No other club has been as busy as we have in the offseason and for some reason, that’s not good enough. Ffs.

There’s plenty more good news to come this off season.

Fordy20

Juniors
Then over the weekend I heard Brett Read stating a similar story suggesting Broncos or Titans with Broncs probably in a better cap position.
I think we'd be unlikely at this stage...

Not too fussed about missing out on the Cheese. With the Broncos and the Titans, I guess the choice is between dollars or success. Holbrook is putting together a very strong team and Smith at hooker would be the icing on the cake.

Not too fussed about missing out on the Cheese. With the Broncos and the Titans, I guess the choice is between dollars or success. Holbrook is putting together a very strong team and Smith at hooker would be the icing on the cake.

I think he would be great and we need a rake, but every player has a price point.

Tigerm

First Grade
I read somewhere the other day that south Queensland was his preferred area as he had family there?

But as TSP rightly states, everyone has a price.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Long time lurker, first time poster

first of all, f**k penrith

second of all...@Tiger05 mentions we are heading in the right direction. How many years have we been saying that now? being a tigers tragic, I feel like we could sign half the Australian team and still be mediocre.

Until we start making the 8 on a regular basis, then I will believe we are making serious inroads

anyways our signings are looking promising, about a month ago I really thought we would struggle in 21, but the last couple weeks have been real positive for us in terms of recruitment

second of all...@Tiger05 mentions we are heading in the right direction. How many years have we been saying that now? being a tigers tragic, I feel like we could sign half the Australian team and still be mediocre.

Until we start making the 8 on a regular basis, then I will believe we are making serious inroads

anyways our signings are looking promising, about a month ago I really thought we would struggle in 21, but the last couple weeks have been real positive for us in terms of recruitment

The side will be barely recognisable in 2021.

Last two years in particular have been low impact and treading water.

I’m expecting a no nonsense massive pack and finally some actual threat in attack.

The big pack alone is going to suck a lot of power out of other sides.

The jet would be in my top 10 of the most naturally gifted players in the game.

Tigerm

First Grade

Welcome aboard Speedy.

Next season, is the season it all begins:)

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
The side will be barely recognisable in 2021.

Last two years in particular have been low impact and treading water.

I’m expecting a no nonsense massive pack and finally some actual threat in attack.

The big pack alone is going to suck a lot of power out of other sides.

The jet would be in my top 10 of the most naturally gifted players in the game.

honestly BJ and Jet have the ability to be some of the best x-factor in the comp, the problem is they are also known to be the laziest centre pairing in the comp. If they fire which I think they will (Bj contract year) and the Jet (must be his last chance in the nrl for redemption) wil go a long way to securing a finals berth

Tamou should keep the pack honest.

According to nrl.com, Madge “ bumps “ into him after round 16 last year and meets him for the first time. Probably Hartigan came up with it.

A few pleasantries are exchanged and before you know it, Madge let’s him know we are interested in him but he wants to leave it to his manager.

His wife was also interested in the financial side with 4 young kids to support. So if she has skin in the decision making, she’s going to promote the cause at home.

So you see he is a young man with family responsibilities. Still gives 100% and that’s what I think we found.

I think he will be a better player without the captaincy, but he has a lot of knowledge and will be eager to lead by example and deeds.

For sure and certain he will intervene at times especially settling the defence.

I think he brings a bit of confidence to the pack, he’s in everything close, he never goes missing. Might bring some desperately needed composure to the back end of games. We usually panic or get nervous when in front. His presence should help us with that.

He spoke well at the grand final.

Last edited:

Latest posts