What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WT Unity

Juniors
Some good points about recent signings and future signings (Tamou, Finucane etc). My point now is that we are probably about as low as we've been for a few seasons. Not that there have been many great highs, but presently, close too if not at Rock Bottom....And given that we have struggled to make major signings in the last few years, where does that leave us now in the context of paying "overs" "evens" or "unders"?
Who would come to us on unders = Nobody
Who would come to us on evens = Probably not a major established prominent 1st Grader and definitely not an elite or SOO player
That leaves us in the unenviable position of almost having to pay overs.

I hate it - But tell me I'm wrong!

Tiger05

First Grade
Some good points about recent signings and future signings (Tamou, Finucane etc). My point now is that we are probably about as low as we've been for a few seasons. Not that there have been many great highs, but presently, close too if not at Rock Bottom....And given that we have struggled to make major signings in the last few years, where does that leave us now in the context of paying "overs" "evens" or "unders"?
Who would come to us on evens = Probably not a major established prominent 1st Grader and definitely not an elite or SOO player

You are right within the context of what you've stated but we can get development players such as junior stars.

I don't even care about signing marquee players. Melbourne don't do it.

If we keep paying overs we will continue to struggle in the future. If we could somehow get a top tier talent on overs like for instance Tom Turbo that would be a different story.

Tamou is also a guy we got on fair money maybe even unders but he wanted to stay in Sydney. We could also target players like that but they are few and far between.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
now is that we are probably about as low as we've been for a few seasons. Not that there have been many great highs, but presently, close too if not at Rock Bottom....And given that we have struggled to make major signings in the last few years, where does that leave us now in the context of paying "overs" "evens" or "unders"?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
We have some decent players and a couple who give it all they've got all game every game (Nofo, there must be others) we don't have any star players, ones that can change the game. I hate the idea of paying overs but I think we have to, Waiting a few years for the young ones to come good (assuming they stay) will continue the cycle of not being able to attract quality players. Poor roster means we can't attract a quality coach means poor roster etc.etc. etc.
Maybe we could ( I do dream from time to time) get Reynolds who while we might pay overs to get would not be huge money. He might get us back to the glory days of 9th or around there. That would lead to faster recovery than hoping some young ones will be quality in 2 or 3 years time.

OH HOW I CRAVE FOR SOME GOOD NEWS re signings that might get us out of this deep pit.

WA Tiger

Bench
We have some decent players and a couple who give it all they've got all game every game (Nofo, there must be others) we don't have any star players, ones that can change the game. I hate the idea of paying overs but I think we have to, Waiting a few years for the young ones to come good (assuming they stay) will continue the cycle of not being able to attract quality players. Poor roster means we can't attract a quality coach means poor roster etc.etc. etc.
Maybe we could ( I do dream from time to time) get Reynolds who while we might pay overs to get would not be huge money. He might get us back to the glory days of 9th or around there. That would lead to faster recovery than hoping some young ones will be quality in 2 or 3 years time.

OH HOW I CRAVE FOR SOME GOOD NEWS re signings that might get us out of this deep pit.
Spot on mate...Only problem is I think WT heads are like frozen in the headlights and don’t know what to do ..ie they’ve tried paying overs with the worst possible lab rat and because of that embarrassment and the current crop of players paid overs they won’t try it again ..so they are now totally confused about what to do...the worst reaction is shelving their winning business acumen and to think, now the only option is to play it safe like a club that can afford to play it safe..I’m waiting too ..for them to get some balls and do what needs to be done

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Spot on mate...Only problem is I think WT heads are like frozen in the headlights and don’t know what to do ..ie they’ve tried paying overs with the worst possible lab rat and because of that embarrassment and the current crop of players paid overs they won’t try it again ..so they are now totally confused about what to do...the worst reaction is shelving their winning business acumen and think now the only option is to play it safe like a club that can afford to play it safe..I’m waiting too ..for them to get some balls and do what needs to be done

Marquee signings have screwed us so it's really hard to have any confidence in marquee signings.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Dale Finucane is one of the better forwards in the competition, bringing a wealth of experience with his 200 plus first grade games, 6 grand final appearances and handful of origin games.
Easily better than what we have on contract.

Cant see Finucane leaving a successful club.

Gordon Tallis was on triple M yesterday saying that 'the Tigers have had a soft underbelly for years.' He was calling on the club to sign Nathan Brown and I couldnt agree more with that sort of signing.

Brown has only been offered 2 years by Parrmatta and I would say he is surely worth a 3 year deal. He is nearly 2 years younger than Finucane as well.

I also think WT should consider swapping Mbye's contract with Matt Lodge.
Moses is not worth any more than $300k which would mean we have to face the contract of paying at least $600k of his freight next year. That is crazy stuff.

The only way we can get out of that deal is to take on a similarly shit contract. Lodge has 3 years left on 800k. He's 26. He has been pretty good this season in a well beaten side.

I know his off field record is a concern but we took on Russell Packer - at least Lodge is younger than him.

Lodge and Nathan Brown together would give our pack a harder edge

WA Tiger

Bench
Marquee signings have screwed us so it's really hard to have any confidence in marquee signings.
It’s not the signings it’s the decision makers behind them. And that applies to everything bad that’s happened and is still happening

Last edited:
Cant see Finucane leaving a successful club.

Gordon Tallis was on triple M yesterday saying that 'the Tigers have had a soft underbelly for years.' He was calling on the club to sign Nathan Brown and I couldnt agree more with that sort of signing.

Brown has only been offered 2 years by Parrmatta and I would say he is surely worth a 3 year deal. He is nearly 2 years younger than Finucane as well.

I also think WT should consider swapping Mbye's contract with Matt Lodge.
Moses is not worth any more than $300k which would mean we have to face the contract of paying at least $600k of his freight next year. That is crazy stuff.

The only way we can get out of that deal is to take on a similarly shit contract. Lodge has 3 years left on 800k. He's 26. He has been pretty good this season in a well beaten side.

I know his off field record is a concern but we took on Russell Packer - at least Lodge is younger than him.

Lodge and Nathan Brown together would give our pack a harder edge
Lodge and Brown ah,
1 the Tigers sacked after his New York incident,
2 why did the Tigers release him, was there an issue?

I have always followed the NSW Cup and NYC teams to see who was or perhaps could make it, think back to the 2012 GF winning NYC team, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Miller at 7, Sue, the great Kyle Lovett, Nathan Brown as a reserve, Akauola & Santi.

If a good club starts at the front office, such as the Storm & Chooks - Tigers have been poor in that office for far too long, no one with vision, no one to develop the young ones, no one to mentor them, pick em, play em and toss em out after 2 years as the next bunch step up seems to be the attitude in years gone by. They have to be smarted and use the Matts, Flegg and NSW Cup but someone has to recognize the kid who has something, isn't that why the signed Adam Hartigan?

But, I'd take those 2 if it means bringing the best mongrel to the pack, but the mongrel must be supported by 4 other forwards who also bring above average, skills, drive, ability, etc, etc, etc to the pack.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Lodge and Brown ah,
I'd take those 2 if it means bringing the best mongrel to the pack, but the mongrel must be supported by 4 other forwards who also bring above average, skills, drive, ability, etc, etc, etc to the pack.

Aaah, something to dream about. Can somebody please post a few false rumors that they are both coming our way along with Reynolds. I'm really keen to be incredibly gullible if it means lifting my spirits.

Tigerm

First Grade

You are right, and we have 2 spots to fill this season, hopefully they get there act together an sign 2 good players, the season is all but lot otherwise.

WA Tiger

Bench
Hot off the press ...Cronulla have countered Broncos offer for Reynolds with 3 years $815k per year..neither have offered 4 years

Tiger05

First Grade
Hot off the press ...Cronulla have countered Broncos offer for Reynolds with 3 years $815k per year..neither have offered 4 years

I like the guy but is that worth it. I suppose with Brooks, Doueihi, Hastings and Reynolds we'll have a decent set of halves.