What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I think one point that has been made is that we are the only club that doesn't have what others consider star players, you look at every team in the comp (for next year) and they all have at least a couple.

Melbourne - Plenty
Penrith - Plenty
Souths - Walker, Latrell, Murray
Manly - Turbo's, DCE, Foran
Roosters - Plenty
Parra - Moses, Gutho, Paulo, RCG
Knights - Pearce, Ponga, Best, Safiti's, Frizzel
Titans - Fifita, Tino, Fotueka, Brimson
Sharks - Graham, Hynes, Finucane
Raiders - Papalii, Hodgson, Whighton
Dragons - Hunt, Lomax, Bird
Warriors - AFB, Johnson, Walsh
Broncos - Staggs, Reynolds, Capewell
Cowboys - Taumololo, Holmes, The Hammer
Dogs - JAC, Burton, TPJ

Tigers - Doueihi??

We have plenty of mid-range players, but every one of our signings from recent years has been players we've paid overs for or players who had no other options. I can't think of the last time we signed a player who had other options and chose us.

Pezz70

Juniors
I think one point that has been made is that we are the only club that doesn't have what others consider star players, you look at every team in the comp (for next year) and they all have at least a couple.

Melbourne - Plenty
Penrith - Plenty
Souths - Walker, Latrell, Murray
Manly - Turbo's, DCE, Foran
Roosters - Plenty
Parra - Moses, Gutho, Paulo, RCG
Knights - Pearce, Ponga, Best, Safiti's, Frizzel
Titans - Fifita, Tino, Fotueka, Brimson
Sharks - Graham, Hynes, Finucane
Raiders - Papalii, Hodgson, Whighton
Dragons - Hunt, Lomax, Bird
Warriors - AFB, Johnson, Walsh
Broncos - Staggs, Reynolds, Capewell
Cowboys - Taumololo, Holmes, The Hammer
Dogs - JAC, Burton, TPJ

Tigers - Doueihi??

We have plenty of mid-range players, but every one of our signings from recent years has been players we've paid overs for or players who had no other options. I can't think of the last time we signed a player who had other options and chose us.
We seriously lack talent, there are maybe six in the squad of 30 that would make the top 18 at other clubs, and probably four of them aren’t making a starting line up

Vozzy

Juniors
The bit about Tigers not having an "identity" is a bit puzzling. I'm not sure why the club doesn't make Campbelltown their main home. I was a loyal Balmain supporter since 87/88 yet I have no problem with us moving permanently there if it means the club takes advantage of better grass roots. The club is actually set up for someone to come in and give it the push it needs. If you think about it the team feels the same from when Michael Potter was here. The coach that comes in or if Madge can find some balls to follow through with his "there will be changes"(after poor performances especially from senior players). They have a $1.6 million war chest which will be more after next year with MBye off the books. This is with Brandan Smith and Payne Haas being available after Bulldogs have splashed there cash in one go. The club off the field is positioned at its best in the last 10 years. We just need to nail the right coach who has a say in "everything".

Ron's_Mate

Bench
'm not sure why the club doesn't make Campbelltown their main home.
I reckon it should be Liverpool. Cambo is too far out for Sydney people while Livo is pretty easy to get to, is still in the SW, and also accessible to Cambo people. I think the State Govt is planning a stadium for Liverpool.

I reckon it should be Liverpool. Cambo is too far out for Sydney people while Livo is pretty easy to get to, is still in the SW, and also accessible to Cambo people. I think the State Govt is planning a stadium for Liverpool.
Ron, the Canterbury-Bankstown JRLFC gets out to Moorebank & Milperra so may be better on the 'otherside' of Liverpool. Wasn't that new stadium going to be used by the Dogs?

gordsy

Juniors
I would base us at Campbelltown. For those who say transport is it, Leichhardt was and is a pain the arse to get to adn out of but they still do it.

BrotherJim05

Bench
While I would ideally like to see Madge see out his contract, we really aren't going to be able to sign anyone with the $2 million (or whatever it is) we have freed up for next year if he is the coach. Players already don't want to come here...how are they supposed to buy in to what Madge is trying to build when there is a very good chance he will be shafted mid-year?

I was all for extending Madge's contract but f**k it may have come back to bite us.

While I would ideally like to see Madge see out his contract, we really aren't going to be able to sign anyone with the $2 million (or whatever it is) we have freed up for next year if he is the coach. Players already don't want to come here...how are they supposed to buy in to what Madge is trying to build when there is a very good chance he will be shafted mid-year?

I was all for extending Madge's contract but f**k it may have come back to bite us.
Madge’s manager must be concerned as well.

I also think it’s time the clubs stopped this fleecing by players, coaches and their agents. A gentleman’s agreement that for new deals after 2022 and beyond, there is an unofficial cap. That would help end the misery of outrageous flops and long lasting pain and suffering.

If Madge is sacked it will cost a fair bit.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Madge stays it will be a massive cost to the Tigers. I'm not talking dollars and cents but morale and any chance of improvement for many years to come.

I disagree. I want him to stay but if he goes the place isn't a mess. We look worse to me than what we actually are. Our cap isn't screwed. We have some good young talent coming through.

This is not a Cleary situation.

WT Unity

Juniors
Madge’s manager must be concerned as well.

I also think it’s time the clubs stopped this fleecing by players, coaches and their agents. A gentleman’s agreement that for new deals after 2022 and beyond, there is an unofficial cap. That would help end the misery of outrageous flops and long lasting pain and suffering.

If Madge is sacked it will cost a fair bit.
Can I ask what you mean by "unofficial cap" ??

Can I ask what you mean by "unofficial cap" ??
No player to be offered more than 700k say and set tpa

Maximum 3 season limits on all signings.

Distribute the cap more fairly and protect clubs from early on feild retirement.

Limited payouts for breach of contract.

We are paying sgi $390 for mbye. We’d probably be happy to keep him that.

WT Unity

Juniors
I disagree. I want him to stay but if he goes the place isn't a mess. We look worse to me than what we actually are. Our cap isn't screwed. We have some good young talent coming through.

This is not a Cleary situation.
I agree that this is not a Cleary situation as we no longer have long term big dollar contracts with players who are average first graders on overs. In many cases like this the worst isn't quite as bad as it seems and any good is probably also slightly less positive than it is.

As for the coach - if he stays I agree it might not be the end of the world due to the Sheens factor. They can use Sheens' return as a stabilising, steady hand, calming influence in their recruitment.

WT Unity

Juniors
The most important issue we have facing us this off-season is the way we spend the circa $2m that we currently have at our disposal. After the terrible recruiting of the past 3 - 4 years if we don't get it right or at least show a significant strategic improvement then that may have a dire effect on us as a destination / club to play for, worse than the position we are in right now.

And let's not think it's going to be easy because there is not a lot of talent off contract left unsigned, so simple supply and demand will make it a players market and the player agents will know that and exploit it! The NRL rule that you have to spend your salary cap has got us between a rock and a hard place!

Tiger05

First Grade
And let's not think it's going to be easy because there is not a lot of talent off contract left unsigned, so simple supply and demand will make it a players market and the player agents will know that and exploit it! The NRL rule that you have to spend your salary cap has got us between a rock and a hard place!

We should either not spend our cap or pay our top players extra. Worse case we should cop a fine. We can't purchase average players on long term contracts anymore.

We could also offer good 1 year contracts.

The big problem is as you state there isn't a lot of talent out there. I'd prefer us to keep going hard for top quality juniors.

There’s more and more players swapping and signing smaller term contracts these days.

Good players and Marquee will slowly but surely enter the market.

We need a proper recruitment fix measured but most of all we need enduring optimum from contracted players.

I am enjoying this discussion.

WA Tiger

Bench

There you go…To recap “excuse the pun” JAC as reported decided not to come to WT under Madge coz he was advised not to by south’s players (and there were plenty others there who’s been coached by Madge)..when he went into the SOO camp..need I say more about how that will negatively impact our chances of future success especially when we have $$ to spend…We can’t afford not to have that option of signing a marque player - instead we will consistently miss out because he doesnt want a life of misery and confusion under Madge…The decision makers are dumb but that may be the one thing they can’t ignore because that is our equal biggest embarrassment and impediment to success atm …

Last edited:

Latest posts