What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Crowe email revealed Jason Taylor's fate

Stuart Honeysett | September 19, 2009

Article from: The Australian
A FURIOUS Jason Taylor has fired back at South Sydney over his sacking, revealing he received a scathing email from co-owner Russell Crowe days before his dismissal.
As court action loomed between Taylor and the Rabbitohs, the former Souths coach went on the offensive over the club's decision to terminate the final year of his contract, believed to be worth $250,000 a season.
Taylor, whose three years at the helm was brought to an end following his incident with backrower David Fa'alogo at the players' end-of-season drinks, told the The Weekend Australian yesterday:
* He had never received a warning or fine for another breach preceding the Fa'alogo incident;
* He received a blistering email from Crowe condemning his actions before being issued with a breach notice;
* He still believed he had not done the wrong thing in attending the players' Mad Monday celebrations at the Forresters Hotel in Surry Hills;
* He was unsure whether he would be able to shake the hand of Fa'alogo.
It is believed Taylor's camp is considering legal proceedings as he maintained he had not breached his contract or the club's code of conduct.
Taylor - who had a year remaining on his deal - took umbrage at claims it was his second offence after he breached curfew and turned up to a recovery session worse for wear following a game against the Warriors in Auckland last year.
Taylor said he did not accompany the team on its night out but, after noticing most of them had broken curfew and not returned to the hotel, went to collect them.
He said the players did not want to leave so he remained with them and had a few drinks.
However, he told Richardson the following day what had happened and claimed the Souths chief executive simply asked him to make a donation to the club's charity program.
"There was nothing official and the conversation didn't contain a verbal warning," Taylor said.
"To say that has now led to me being sacked on the back of what we're talking about right now ... there was no breach of my contract or code of conduct."
It is believed tension existed between the chief executive and the coach, particularly after Richardson's friend and former Cronulla and Penrith coach John Lang was brought in last season as a football manager.
Lang was appointed to a two-year contract to take over as first grade coach on the same day the club announced Taylor had been sacked.
Taylor said he held fears for his future after receiving a nasty email from Crowe.
"I sent him a text message early on in the piece letting him know that I hadn't had a chance to tell my side of the story," Taylor said.
"I didn't hear from him so I sent him an email a few days later just saying I was starting to get the feeling that decisions were being made and I still hadn't had a chance to tell my side of the story.
"There were some things there that people seemed to be overlooking and not really wanting to take into consideration.
"I sent him an email ... entitled 'A Lot To Say' and it was just me saying I haven't had a chance to tell anyone what exactly has gone on here.
"I got a reply that was absolutely scathing. It was a very, very negative response.
"That scared me a fair bit because that was before I'd been handed the breach notice."
Even though the incident has cost him his career, Taylor says he did not do the wrong thing by attending the players' end-of-season drinks.
"When I said in hindsight I shouldn't have gone that's simply because the incident happened and not because in any way I made a mistake in going," he said.
Taylor said he had prepared a 50-page submission, which he presented to the club's board. It contained three signed statements from bar and security staff saying he was in control and drinking water on the night in question.
He said his submission also included written evidence that he still had the support of the players.
"The responses I've had from the guys since this happened yesterday in relation to phone calls and text messages is one of the only positives to come out of this," Taylor said. "The relationships that I built with them and how disappointed they are that it has gone this way has been really heartening for me."
Fa'alogo attempted to contact Taylor to apologise for his actions, but the Souths coach isn't ready to shake hands. "He sent me a text message pretty early on apologising for what happened and he was keen for us to meet up and shake hands," Taylor said.
"But I wasn't comfortable with doing that until I knew when this thing was going to finish because it's just dragging on.
"I don't know where I'm at with all that right now."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26093558-5012431,00.html

spartan

Juniors
Shame on souths.
I feel mr crowe is one of the " do as i say and not as i do" founder members.
He found himself in plenty of hot water whlist he was growing up and it took him considerably longer than jason taylor to grow up as well.

Fortunately for mr crowe his god given talent sells bums on seats,taylor doesn't have that luxury.

I feel a bit of leniency could have been given on this ocassion although i also feel taylor paid the price for an underperforming season.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Shame on souths.
I feel mr crowe is one of the " do as i say and not as i do" founder members.
He found himself in plenty of hot water whlist he was growing up and it took him considerably longer than jason taylor to grow up as well.

Fortunately for mr crowe his god given talent sells bums on seats,taylor doesn't have that luxury.

I feel a bit of leniency could have been given on this ocassion although i also feel taylor paid the price for an underperforming season.
You said it Crowes got talent JT has very little talent in my opinion lets move on and look forward to a highly successful 2010.

Blackduck

Juniors
You said it Crowes got talent JT has very little talent in my opinion lets move on and look forward to a highly successful 2010.

I feel a lot of cloak and dagger bullsh*t here. So in that regard I feel for Jason Taylor. He was going no matter what and this was just the excuse they needed. Karma has a funny way of coming back to kick you in the arse,so in that respect I now feel for the team and the supporters. Lange appointed (by a mate) the same day Taylor is axed.......I tell you,if something looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t,chances are it usually is,one does wonder just how gullible the bunnies board think the general public is.

Dave Q

Coach
Its the media, JT and grumblers that are dragging this out.

When Langy was sacked from the Panthers he made a simple statement expressing his dissapointment and moved on.

JT is best served being careful about what he says etc.

People have told me some unkind things he's done. They and I dont go about defaming and defiling him.

The more he carries on, the less likely other clubs will want to engage him as they will think that they cannot trust him.

His public statements have come straight from the hip when he really should be thinking about the future.

Onwards to 21.

Last edited:

boo_boo

Juniors
Dave, if JT has a case against the club then he has every right to pursue a legal challenge.
Having appointed John Lang as coach (without advertising the position) not long announcing that JT has been sacked is not only pretty poor form but the preference shown to Richos good mate has left a foul stench of nepotism that opens the door to many questions that need answers.

Dave Q

Coach
Dave, if JT has a case against the club then he has every right to pursue a legal challenge.
Having appointed John Lang as coach (without advertising the position) not long announcing that JT has been sacked is not only pretty poor form but the preference shown to Richos good mate has left a foul stench of nepotism that opens the door to many questions that need answers.

But Langy has the track record and great respect of the league.

I remember during the kerfuffle, he said he wasnt interested in coaching Souths and they had to convince him.

Rusty, Phac and the board, they tell Richo what to do and not the other way around.

Theres no need for the united nations to step in. JT is gone.

He his ill-advised to sue the club as that makes him persona non gratia at every other club.

He can put it down to life experience and move on.

If he sues and keeps carrying on at the club, he is likely to feel the wrath and indifference of a lot of supporters.

The club can and will push through any fallout boo. We came back from the death. This is nothing compared with that.

JT isnt getting much good advice, he is following the people whom he likes hearing, not the people who are genuinely interested in his recovery and future.

The chances of JT having his contract renewed beyond 2010 were pretty remote, especially if we missed the finals again.

Hes a nice guy and all that, but he has to keep his feet on the ground.

There is no way back to Souths for JT. Not in the immediate future.

Souths has a lot of influence in the NRL. I know that the NRL have been impressed with our growth and want other clubs to follow. Plus there is even more good value on the horizon.

Onwards to 21.

boo_boo

Juniors
From the day John Lang started at Souths they were waiting for the opportunity to get rid of JT.
He was a dead set target.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Its the media, JT and grumblers that are dragging this out.

When Langy was sacked from the Panthers he made a simple statement expressing his dissapointment and moved on.

JT is best served being careful about what he says etc.

People have told me some unkind things he's done. They and I dont go about defaming and defiling him.

The more he carries on, the less likely other clubs will want to engage him as they will think that they cannot trust him.

His public statements have come straight from the hip when he really should be thinking about the future.

Onwards to 21.

He got shafted in a cowardly and dishonourable fashion. Morally he has every right to speak out.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
He got shafted in a cowardly and dishonourable fashion. Morally he has every right to speak out.
Thats quite right and thats called democracy but he's going on like a spoilt blubbering kid whinging on the footy show all he is doing is self harm especially when he applies for a new coaching job that's if anybody would have him after his coaching blunders at Souths.

Latest posts