What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

possm

Coach
Packer is a keeper and should be signed asap. Dugan's signature should not determine Packer's future at the Club. So calculate Dugan at 800k and sign Packer at either what he is asking for or what we can afford. I'd say, let Dugan know wee want him to stay however, in the current environment, we must continue with our retention program.

possm

Coach
I am growing concerned about all of the talk regarding Packer and the Tigers. Cleary being a former coach and former team mates signed by the Tigers etc.

The Dragons should just sign him asap.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I am growing concerned about all of the talk regarding Packer and the Tigers. Cleary being a former coach and former team mates signed by the Tigers etc.

The Dragons should just sign him asap.

He will only leave if we force him to.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Think about it guys... Everyone was so concerned that we were going to lose Widdop to another club. There were people in here, and journalists, who had basically accepted and were convinced that Widdop was going to leave (probably to Melbourne or the Tigers).
Then look what happened, he signed a four year deal and Gareth comes out and says he never wanted to leave.

I know anything can happen, but based on that, I highly doubt that Packer will go anywhere. And even if he does, there is no point in getting too caught up in speculation. With the way the market is currently, every player off contract could end up anywhere. All media outlets will say anything just to keep the rumours flowing.

possm

Coach
Think about it guys... Everyone was so concerned that we were going to lose Widdop to another club. There were people in here, and journalists, who had basically accepted and were convinced that Widdop was going to leave (probably to Melbourne or the Tigers).
Then look what happened, he signed a four year deal and Gareth comes out and says he never wanted to leave.

I know anything can happen, but based on that, I highly doubt that Packer will go anywhere. And even if he does, there is no point in getting too caught up in speculation. With the way the market is currently, every player off contract could end up anywhere. All media outlets will say anything just to keep the rumours flowing.
Millward met Widdop's demands and because of this there is lees money to retain the other off contract first graders - Dugan, Lafai, Packer and Mann. Because all of the figures relating to contracts and cap are kept secret, it is impossible for people like us to know the full story. We can only have an educted stab at the figures - we can't be blamed for that.

mickeylane

Bench
I dont
What a massive downgrade that would be. Be better off promoting from within the club than going out to sign him as a replacement.

Thankfully you're just talking out of your ass as usual.
i dont mind the friendly banter but refrain from the snide remarks! Prick!!

Gareth67

First Grade
I hope that someone has pulled big Russ aside , away from his manager, and told him that the Dragons very much want him to resign . Give the man a approximate figure and finally explain to him that until Dugans negotiations have been finalised , that the club cannot proceed any further .

As others have already said , the fact that Widdop , Dugan and Packer are managed by the same agent is what is totally screwing our chances of resigning all 3 .
Furthermore , with Dugans original offer now being raised , the time has arrived for Josh to finally make a decision - one way or the other .

I sincerely would like both Dugan and Packer to resign , but the longer these negotiations continue , the less likely it would appear of that occurring .

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
You would think The big fella would enjoy the lifestyle of the south coast, living and training on the beach, rather than living in the big smoke, dealing with the travel to Concord training like a son of a bitch. Money don't always buy happiness.

Dragons 09

Juniors
You'd think after all the Dragons have done for him, he'd stay........ and then some.
If he signs with someone else, l'll drive down to Sydney and slap him around a little ........ well, at least till he starts throwing them back!

As long as our offer is commensurate with his performances and close to a realistic market value, then he will stay, even if our offer is less than some others. If we start trying to play the guilt game (you owe us big time) and really low ball him, he should rightfully think long and hard about it.

He lost a few years of wages due to his stupidity so he is now playing catch up of sorts financially. I wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to move on if the tigers or knights through an obscene amount of money at him........i certainly wouldn't be slapping him around:D

But i also wouldn't be surprised if it was announced next week that he has agreed to a further 3 years with us.

possm

Coach
Multi tasking too hard for Dragons
It's code for not enough money to extend all off contract players. Packer, Lafai and Mann at the top end of the list of those unsigned are at risk of being let go depending on the value of Dugan's contract. I'm sure at least one of those 3 will be extended even if Dugan is extended. If Dugan accepted the offer as tabled, you can be fairly sure that both Lafai and Packer will be extended. Hence why:
Millward has never mentioned Mann or Lafai in his rants.
Millward has only mentioned Packer when speaking about Dugan's deal.

Now what will happen if Mann kills it at five-eighth? Will he be re-signed for 2018 or will it cause other clubs to go after him with haste?

Millward's whole strategy revolves around not only Dugan accepting 750k, he is really serious that sometime in 2018, Dugan will play right centre and Field will be our first grade fullback. Thus the reason Lafai is not on the radar and why Aitken was signed early on. So in Millward's world our backline in 2018 will look like this:
1. Field
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

Makes it all much clearer now doesn't it?

Alec's-saints

Juniors
It's code for not enough money to extend all off contract players. Packer, Lafai and Mann at the top end of the list of those unsigned are at risk of being let go depending on the value of Dugan's contract. I'm sure at least one of those 3 will be extended even if Dugan is extended. If Dugan accepted the offer as tabled, you can be fairly sure that both Lafai and Packer will be extended. Hence why:
Millward has never mentioned Mann or Lafai in his rants.
Millward has only mentioned Packer when speaking about Dugan's deal.

Now what will happen if Mann kills it at five-eighth? Will he be re-signed for 2018 or will it cause other clubs to go after him with haste?

Millward's whole strategy revolves around not only Dugan accepting 750k, he is really serious that sometime in 2018, Dugan will play right centre and Field will be our first grade fullback. Thus the reason Lafai is not on the radar and why Aitken was signed early on. So in Millward's world our backline in 2018 will look like this:
1. Field
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan
4. Aitken
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

Makes it all much clearer now doesn't it?
doesn't duges want to play fb tho