What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russia Head Coach Spends a Week with Toulouse

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Here is the current state of the game in Russia:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/335956-have-we-given-up-on-russia/&page=3

I have lived in Moscow for the past two years and play league out here for CSKA.

Unfortunately the game suffers greatly from not being recognised as an official sport and (in my opinion) Rugby Union doing all they can to hinder the progress of the sport. There are some proper 'leagues' over here who do much for the promotion of the sport however union money talks.

In the past year, Russia had to withdraw from the European Under 19 championships due to lack of funding and there was no domestic championship held despite the success of the 2017 championship. Union has its own professional league and there are 3 amateur leagues ran in Moscow alone. Dual code clubs such as CSKA and Spartak Moscow have previously pushed for the Championship 2018 to take place but are met with resistances from clubs scared they will lose there union funding! It is sad to say I played more beach rugby in Moscow last year that league games - no joke!

On a more positive note, last March CSKA hosted Partizan Belgrave in front of 500 fans. Having played in that game i assure you the atmosphere was amazing and there is a hunger for league in Russia. Flares, chanting, snow, it was a great occasion. Spartak travelled to Belgrade to play Red Star too and there is talk of Red Star travelling to Moscow in 2019. The national team have performed extremely well, have quality coaches and will play Scotland and either Norway or Greece to qualify for the 2021 World Cup. The outcome of this is vital to the development of league in Russia. Qualify for 2021 and potentially enter a side in the Balkan Super League could see the sport develop like it has done in Serbia.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Russians are built for league, they have been on the verge for 20 years, if they receive funding it could be anything.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They should have received funding once the finances started to dwindle when the backers left to sustain what was already gained. Now the game has gone backwards and given union the upper hand, typical RL.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hard to see them improving while national team players aren't getting in regular domestic games at the very least.

Unfortnuately I have Russia finishing third in the qualifying group well behind Scotland and probably behind Greece and even Norway.
Scotland will piss it in.
Greece has a progressing domestic scene even despite the insane interference they face from their own government, and have strong heritage links to Australia giving them an edge in players and coaching.
Norway have promise and I think will prepare well.

Latest posts