What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian news

bowes

Juniors
Russia in Super League is a laughable suggestion. Not because Russia's a poor country but because the game isn't big enough in the country.

It's doubtful there will ever be a Super League club in Wales, and virtual certainty there will never be one in Ireland and Scotland so it's not double standards

screeny

Bench
bowes said:
Russia in Super League is a laughable suggestion. Not because Russia's a poor country but because the game isn't big enough in the country.

It's doubtful there will ever be a Super League club in Wales, and virtual certainty there will never be one in Ireland and Scotland so it's not double standards

Damn, you seem to have convinced yourself that that's true.

I agree about Russia as the game's not big enough and a SL franchise must exist on top of a well earthed set of roots, but 'doubtful there'll ever be a SL club in Wales'? Ever? Or 'never' in Ireland or Scotland? I would say a club in Wales is actually likely in the not too distant future.

Why do you think what you think?

jvujosevic

Juniors
dorcolrugby said:
Four Serbian internationals Mate Granic, Marko Zebeljan, Zoran Pesic and Nenad Grbic will fly to Russia on 25th of January to join Russian 3rd top team "Vereya". They should stay there for whole season.
All four played for Serbia in last year World Cup qualifiers.
Zoran Pesic was nominated for Developing Nations Player of the Year but lost to Wes Naiqama of St George Illawarra Dragons and Fiji.
From Serbian most popular spor newspapers http://www.sport.novosti.co.yu/sadrzaj.php?kat=12&pkat=54&id_vest=10141

winnyason

Juniors
i would say superleague is out the picture however, there are whispers around that past 2009, there is a suggestion of a tier 2 europe with nl1 & 2 clubs plus the best of france, wales, ireland & perhaps 1 russian club a expanded treize tornai you could say.

brendothejet

First Grade
winnyason said:
i would say superleague is out the picture however, there are whispers around that past 2009, there is a suggestion of a tier 2 europe with nl1 & 2 clubs plus the best of france, wales, ireland & perhaps 1 russian club a expanded treize tornai you could say.

that would be totally unreal.

Imagine having the super league and then two tiers of european comp. It would definately get tv exposure because every country would want to slot its own teams in their somewhere.

Ahhh pipedreaming is fun...

Sam_the_man

First Grade
geez if that was to go ahead it would be huge!!!!

Trouble is they would need good sponsorship to cover the costs of running the comp. Also would the SL teams eventually want to join the european comp if/when it takes off and generates big money?

The Observer

Staff member
screeny said:
Damn, you seem to have convinced yourself that that's true.

I agree about Russia as the game's not big enough and a SL franchise must exist on top of a well earthed set of roots, but 'doubtful there'll ever be a SL club in Wales'? Ever? Or 'never' in Ireland or Scotland? I would say a club in Wales is actually likely in the not too distant future.

Why do you think what you think?

Bowes understandably shows skepticism when it comes Russian RL (as anyone would if they'd heard in detail about what goes on there), but when it comes to Wales? Well, judging by his argument, he's the type that would have said that a team could never succeed in Melbourne.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Russian YouTube clip from Lokomotiv Moskow. Shows Wests "recruit" Roman Ovchinnikov swinging them early in the clip.

Lots of footage of Loko (Yellow / Black / Green in 2004? - Green/Red 2005 to today), but also looks like some from the Victory Cup too. Not sure who the team is that looks like they're wearing Malta uniforms - has Russia ever played Malta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs1Htih4cgU

langpark

First Grade
Mr_Ugly said:
Russian YouTube clip from Lokomotiv Moskow. Shows Wests "recruit" Roman Ovchinnikov swinging them early in the clip.

Lots of footage of Loko (Yellow / Black / Green in 2004? - Green/Red 2005 to today), but also looks like some from the Victory Cup too. Not sure who the team is that looks like they're wearing Malta uniforms - has Russia ever played Malta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs1Htih4cgU
Great find! good to see they like the biff in Russia :lol:

To me that looked more like Georgia, it definitely wasn't Malta. Or it could have just been a russian club. Wat was with that group of Portuguese fans!? I didn't think they'd ever played a game yet.

I'm surprised at the amount of passion from the fans and players. It would be great if they could get back on track over there, they got massive potential. And i'm sure they'd have no trouble finding some big forwards either.

ali

Bench
Awesome.

Make sure you give it a good rating and leave a comment.

I´ve sent the link to Vossy, so hopefully this will get TV exposure.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Interview on LastTackle site (http://www.lasttackle.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=969&Itemid=70):

LastTackle said:
International Focus: Russia

In the second of our international focus series, James Gordon interviews Dino Vikas, from the Russian Rugby League Federation.

Where did the inspiration come from to bring rugby league to Russia?

The inspiration came from within the country. Mr Edward Taturian was interested in making a move away from Rugby Union and picked up on the sport of Rugby League from English contacts.

Who was involved in the setting up of your organisation, and who helped from the outside?

Mr Taturian set up the league here with the assistance of a Mr Phil Larder from England. As things were starting, Mr Tas Baiteri, International Rugby League's Development Officer started assisting in many ways, including visits, coaching material etc.

Was it an uphill struggle to found your organisation?
Yes, it was an uphill battle, one that is still being battled. Rugby League will always battle here, as the sports of Football (Soccer), Ice-Hockey and basketball are the "Russian Sports".

Was there any opposition to it?

I'm led to believe that the Rugby Union were agaist it and banned players from joining Rugby League in the beginning. Now, relations are still cool, but respectful.

Has there been a great deal of interest in rugby league from the people of Russia?

The game is played in many places around Russia. Teams can travel for 16 hours just to play a game. At the height of development, under the sponsorship of ex President, Ahmet Kamildinov, the Russian Rugby League had 40 000 spectators at the USA Vs Russia Victory Cup match. Interest in the game is slowly developing, but needs more work at the grass roots level if it is to succeed. Newspapers and TV touch on league occassionally, but not as much as is needed.

Are you pleased with how far you have come so far?

I am pleased that Rugby League is being played in Russia, but we have alot more to do. Development at junior level is not as strong as it should be. The Russian Rugby League is not being bank rolled to any great extent, so the competition is very uneven. You have fully professional teams like Locomotive, who dominate the competition and then other clubs, who are basically Amateur or semi amateur. The national team are improving, but again, if players are to improve, they need a higher level of games on a weekly basis.

What are your plans and aims for 2007?

Our plans are to break the ice and have our first home grown player, playing in the NRL in Australia. His name is Roman Ovchenikov, who will join the Wests Tigers in mid March. We then hope to continue the development of our junior academy and continue the dvelopment of our ten team Premier League and referees association.

How far do you think you can go in the near future?

In the near future, we hope to start competing with nations like France, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Russia is top of the Euro natons teams, but now need to close the gap between us and the British based teams.
Where do you see rugby league in Russia in twenty years time?

In twenty years time, we hope to have a fully professional game here at home, many Russians plying their trade in England and Australia and Russia competing on an equal footing with the top nations in the World Cup.

Back

Latest posts