What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan williamson

charlie

Juniors
NRL
Text size+-
0,,6472870,00.jpg
"I SUPPOSE I was fired up, trying to smash as many as I could". New Sydney resident Ryan Williamson is yet to play a game for the Roosters, but the teenager is already a big hit. Literally.
Gallery: Are these the hottest bods in league? l / The Daily Telegraph

YOU may not have heard of Ryan Williamson yet but up in the Queensland bush, he has made something of an impact on local juniors. As in, call-for-the-stretcher impact.
Take the much-told story in Mackay - Williamson's home town - of the day the teenage Roosters centre began reducing the numbers of the opposition under-19 Proserpine team one by one playing for Souths.
As the tale goes, a first guy ran the ball up, got belted head over apex by Williamson and had to be helped off. Next play, same deal. Second guy off.
Next play, third guy. Next play . . . well, you get the idea.
Gallery: NRL hot bods
In all, Williamson gave four consecutive rivals four early showers, and a St John ambo a fitness session, as he impersonated a one-man wrecking ball. "Aah, yeah," Williamson sheepishly confirms when asked about the story. "A guy took a tap and I guess I hit him in the right spot. He went off.
"A bloke played the ball and I gave it him, too. I suppose I was fired up, trying to smash as many as I could."
Gallery: NRL stars get nude
Such bush whispers usually have scouts swarming but luckily for Roosters fans, Williamson was already on their club's radar and after an impressive 2008, is now tucked away at Bondi until 2011.
After starring for the Australian Schoolboys in 2007, the 18-year-old helped the tricolours win the SG Ball Grand Final last year - and snag the competition's best and fairest - before succumbing to a season-ending knee injury in his first appearance for the Roosters under-20s.
Check out the highlights:

Much is expected of a teen already likened to Ryan Cross. But yesterday Williamson was back in familiar territory - the Queensland outback - making a different kind of impact.
Tagging along with another Rooster on the comeback trail from a busted knee, Willie Mason, Williamson visited schools in Mount Isa as part of the NRL's One Community Carnival - which currently has 100 players in 50 communities around Australia promoting healthy lifestyles and league to kids.
It was a almost surreal role for the young Rooster. "I am only 18 and it wasn't too long ago I was sitting at one of those school desks, with first grade blokes like Mark O'Meley and Nate Myles talking to me," he said. "If I am on the verge of a career in footy today, it must have had some impact on me. I am sure these visits do have an impact on young kids."
Today the small group of NRL stars will venture further north into territory Williamson knows better still.
His dad Craig works as a builder in a tiny Aboriginal community outside of Doomadgee, which lies on the Gulf of Carpentaria. "I love it up here, it's my favourite part of the country," Williamson said. "I visited dad two months ago and we did a bit of piggin' and a bit of fishin' and stuff like that."
Having traded destinations with a teammates to go north, extensive flooding may stop Williamson from catching up with his dad.
Williamson knows the trip is one part of a valuable learning process this season that will see him play strongly in Toyota Cup, "earn my stripes" and perhaps push for an NRL debut as well. He's keen to make an impact.

adamkungl

Immortal
fmd there are some tossers in the comments...watched the video, he could see FG early in the year considering the quality of our other outside backs.

SOO

Juniors
Knee reco late last year still a bit awaya yet just gettting into to defence work now i think.

adamkungl

Immortal
cant wait to see this kid in first grade....we havn't had anyone even close to a strike centre since cross...

charlie

Juniors
I saw the four tackles refered to in the article. Ryan was 16 at the time and the 2nd and 3rd tackles were against the opposition front rowers he has agreat tackling technique and he really hurts.
In attack he is very quick and athletic, has incredible hands and an natural ability to get the ball away in traffic. His weekness is he is pretty firey, and can give away a few penalties as a result.

LSCG

Juniors
is it likely that he'll be in 1st grade when fit, or back to U20's? If in 1st grade, at who's expense? Anyone heard Fittler's comments on him?

OVP

Coach
is it likely that he'll be in 1st grade when fit, or back to U20's? If in 1st grade, at who's expense? Anyone heard Fittler's comments on him?

Noone knows anything about our club atm ...your guess is as good as mine.

It's scary how not a single one of us knows how many members we have atm.
They all say nothing ...

cq

Juniors

They all say nothing ...

Well OVP, I can tell you that I am a member. Got my package in the mail this week. Some nice goodies to give to my nephew and niece.

They all say nothing ...

Spoke to the kid at luna park today, he is a lump of a lad thats for sure, well over 6ft, built like a brick sh*thouse.

Are you a member ovp

i bloody hope so, ill send oops! over if your not

Latest posts