What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Brutalitops

Juniors
My view is politics is irrelevant in all work settings, even poltics itself!

You've stated Griffin's character must be poor as a result of his twitter activity, how is that a good judgement? Call me crazy, but I believe the best way to determine one's character is through their actions.

Again liking posts on twitter is no reflection on one's character or ability to perform in a job.
Well rather importantly, it's not just "likes/retweets", there are endless posts of his own in the category. Anyway, like it or not, the job of coach is not simply "telling 30 guys what to do and how" anymore. You're a representative of the club who must front media, deal with and resolve conflict, follow strict media protocols set out by both the club and the NRL. It is no accident that you don't get many media facing folks in sport who are known for this sort of thing, because there is a trend in world sporting organisations to shift towards an open arms approach to those dealing with race or gender issues.

Now it doesn't matter if you find these to be "real" issues or not (though I'd urge anyone to reconsider that). The fact is that these are things that will negatively affect the club's PR, which has several domino affects leading to reduced income from fan memberships and above all else, sponsorships (this is the one that had the strongest potential to bite the club, considering St George Bank's lengthy resume regarding progressive charitable endeavours.)

So no it's really not as simple as "oh it's his opinion that's the end of it" because in this massive business there are countless reasons to avoid this type of thing. And like I said, I am in favour of any political background being generally able to have their career unaffected by such things, but there are limits to this when dealing directly with and representing indigenous, LGBT and mental health programs regularly, as any coach of the Red V would be expected to do.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Well rather importantly, it's not just "likes/retweets", there are endless posts of his own in the category. Anyway, like it or not, the job of coach is not simply "telling 30 guys what to do and how" anymore. You're a representative of the club who must front media, deal with and resolve conflict, follow strict media protocols set out by both the club and the NRL. It is no accident that you don't get many media facing folks in sport who are known for this sort of thing, because there is a trend in world sporting organisations to shift towards an open arms approach to those dealing with race or gender issues.

Now it doesn't matter if you find these to be "real" issues or not (though I'd urge anyone to reconsider that). The fact is that these are things that will negatively affect the club's PR, which has several domino affects leading to reduced income from fan memberships and above all else, sponsorships (this is the one that had the strongest potential to bite the club, considering St George Bank's lengthy resume regarding progressive charitable endeavours.)

So no it's really not as simple as "oh it's his opinion that's the end of it" because in this massive business there are countless reasons to avoid this type of thing. And like I said, I am in favour of any political background being generally able to have their career unaffected by such things, but there are limits to this when dealing directly with and representing indigenous, LGBT and mental health programs regularly, as any coach of the Red V would be expected to do.
And to make the scale a lot smaller for a second. I like to think of a young indigenous player coming through the ranks, or a potential signing, who sees the kind of dialogue his coach and mentor either engages in or signal boosts publicly. I just find it unbecoming

I'm Hornby

Juniors
And to make the scale a lot smaller for a second. I like to think of a young indigenous player coming through the ranks, or a potential signing, who sees the kind of dialogue his coach and mentor either engages in or signal boosts publicly. I just find it unbecoming

Would love to hear/see some examples of where Griffin has done anything to the detriment of indigenous people, LGBTQI or Women. The posts you shared had nothing to do with any of the mentioned groups, so I imagine you have seen something else that must pertain to this?

Mjab

Juniors
Not saying I agree with Hooks posts
I don’t waste my time on that shit And haven’t even looked other than comments already made By others on thread

it isn’t that smart to put that shit out in the public domain under your real name IMO Esp if u are a public figure

not surprising some old style dude like him doesn’t know better And he might not be that smart anyway

heaps people in NRL have done far worse

his opinions will have been same for 20 yrs plus most likely and this didn’t specifically interfere with his previous ability to coach A team

Many other in reality in the NRL I suspect think exactly same

prob should chill and get on with it

I’m a bit immune as my father in law is a mirror image of this shit and I’ve learnt to tune out
Doesn’t like me questioning him on it so I tell my teen daughters to give him shit as he can’t yell at them

what people think and what people say are often quite different

Last edited by a moderator:

be55

Juniors
My view is politics is irrelevant in all work settings, even poltics itself!

You've stated Griffin's character must be poor as a result of his twitter activity, how is that a good judgement? Call me crazy, but I believe the best way to determine one's character is through their actions.

Again liking posts on twitter is no reflection on one's character or ability to perform in a job.
Seriously pull your head out of the sand mate.Figures vary but it is said about 90% of employers will do a background check into your digital footprint so they can
1 Get a glimpse into your background and personality
2 Determine whether or not you are a cultural fit for their organisation
3 If you post appropriate content
You say " liking posts on twitter is no reflection of ones character " i don't know much about twitter but surely that's exactly what it is...

Paddles

Juniors
It's batshit crazy stuff. And I'm not a psychologist, but I reckon his constant stream of liking and retweeting absolute shit like edgy attempts to be be a funny about Coon cheese, and lies about 'BLM supporters' killing 'blacks' probably would have an effect on people.

What sort of leader does that stuff? While applying for a prominent job?

What sort of club sees a guy like this as the one they want to build their lacking culture and 'DNA' around?

be55

Juniors
Maybe Wane didn’t bother with the application after visiting this forum and seeing what Dragon supporters are really like on a public forum :grimacing:
Hahaha...glass houses mate...judging by some of your recent activity you don't mind flinging the shit around from time to time

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Seriously pull your head out of the sand mate.Figures vary but it is said about 90% of employers will do a background check into your digital footprint so they can
You say " liking posts on twitter is no reflection of ones character " i don't know much about twitter but surely that's exactly what it is...

Mate, it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on their political beliefs. If someone misses out on a job for these reasons along with others I mentioned, they're well within their rights to start a civil suit against the employer.

Employers can try to check out someone's social media but that doesn't give them grounds to discriminate.

I'm Hornby

Juniors

To your third point, you understand for many people social media is a means of projecting a version of themselves as how they want people to perceive them?

Without knowing someone personally it is completely unfair to make a judgement of their character.

Mate, it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on their political beliefs. If someone misses out on a job for these reasons along with others I mentioned, they're well within their rights to start a civil suit against the employer.

Employers can try to check out someone's social media but that doesn't give them grounds to discriminate.

They do it anyway, they keep it quiet. No evidence no legal suit.

Brutalitops

Juniors

This is factually incorrect, TONS of workplace contracts have clauses relating directly to social media content and representation of a company.

Personally, I am involved with a company which restricts the simple act of smoking a cigarette or drinking alcohol while wearing branding associated to the business. And if you knew the nature of the company, you'd realise why this policy makes perfect sense

This is factually incorrect, TONS of workplace contracts have clauses relating directly to social media content and representation of a company.

Personally, I am involved with a company which restricts the simple act of smoking a cigarette or drinking alcohol while wearing branding associated to the business. And if you knew the nature of the company, you'd realise why this policy makes perfect sense

It wouldn’t be a leagues club!

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Does Griffin have a contract of employment with us? He is a candidate for a job, mate. He has no contractual obligations to the club at this point so the fact remains the club cannot and should not discriminate based on a candidate's political views.

Mjab

Juniors
Employers should be checking that shit out and I agree with the 3 points be55

they should be making hiring decisions based on a lot of factors as well as what you say I fully agree too

no argument there

Hornby also correct Though and if they find out that you did Not employ someone for many of those reasons you can be legally up shit creek

if the club looks at his posts and decided he’s not for the club they just say we thought young was better choice, no reasons needed

the issue is sadly lots of Fwits think same os Hook and many others anyway they are just not dumb enough to expose it

I’d rather have Neanderthal Hook than JDB back at the club
but I understand everyone will have their own opinions on these things and I respect that

despite throwing a bit of shit around occasionally for a reaction :grimacing::grimacing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brothers let’s not defame jdb here.

He’s entitled to his presumption of innocence and he should not have been stood down.

But I have a big issue with him in that after everything the club has done for him, bj, Mary, the board and that etc, he’s still standing on the curb, flashing his whizzer at any club who happens to drive past and wants to pay him, in case he’s found to be innocent.

That’s not the frigging respect the club deserves.

Even when you blokes are pulling each other’s eyes out and there’s blood all over the boardroom, when Webbys being carted off in a stretcher, over your internal matters, some things are sacred.

Jbd appears to have dumped on about the only people in the world who would lift a finger to help him.

All those training sessions and disruption to people’s lives and he thinks about himself.

So that’s his crime in my book.

Other than that, on what I understand, I suggest he’s a long way from being found guilty

Brutalitops

Juniors
Brothers let’s not defame jdb here.

He’s entitled to his presumption of innocence and he should not have been stood down.

But I have a big issue with him in that after everything the club has done for him, bj, Mary, the board and that etc, he’s still standing on the curb, flashing his whizzer at any club who happens to drive past and wants to pay him, in case he’s found to be innocent.

That’s not the frigging respect the club deserves.

Even when you blokes are pulling each other’s eyes out and there’s blood all over the boardroom, when Webbys being carted off in a stretcher, over your internal matters, some things are sacred.

Jbd appears to have dumped on about the only people in the world who would lift a finger to help him.

Coward act for mine.
JDB does have the presumption of innocence though, a stand down does nothing to refute that. He is continuing to be paid his full salary and will be paid market value if found innocent.

A stand down pending a legal matter this serious is standard in almost every industry in the modern world. That goes tenfold for those in the public eye.

Latest posts