What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
Gasnier was a great player but not a pundit's backside.
Never rated his opinions or his prowess as a commentator.
Famous name can take you a long way in the media...
I'm getting a real dislike for him and TBH he ain't that smart so how dumb must Anasta be?
I can see me punting Fox this year because the game is f**ked, our club is f**ked and Fox somehow find ways to make it even more f**ked.

What a dumb article - he didn’t have his team. It took 4 years. What is this kindergarten or rugby league. Geez the excuses for this clown are unbelievable.

The old saints of the halcyon era sacked a coach after winning a premiership because each year we picked the best people available. Same for the players back then.

But according to Mark, Mary has overachieved.

Can't make this stuff up.

Straight Shooter

Coffs dragon

Bench
What a revelation by coach Mary McExcuse.....that if you stop the game at half time, we come 2nd in the comp last year.
With those words of wisdom I'll only watch the Dragons games to half time then switch off to maximise my level of satisfaction and enjoyment by 50%
Thanks Mary.....top shelf deflection!

grouch

First Grade
I actually rate Gasnier as a commentator and pundit, some of his comments on tactical intricacies are more insightful than just about any other, but he is seriously compromised when talking about McGregor - the two of them are mates. Really diminishes his credibility

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I actually rate Gasnier as a commentator and pundit, some of his comments on tactical intricacies are more insightful than just about any other, but he is seriously compromised when talking about McGregor - the two of them are mates. Really diminishes his credibility

I always thought the only credibility Mark had was his surname and the red V he wore.
Often thought he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

BennyV

Referee
Agree that he’s one of the less painful commentators to listen to, and his harsh honesty on the Dragons is refreshing.

But he clearly outlines in his book the respect and adoration he has for Mary as a role model. His public views on his coaching should be taken with a few grains of salt.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What a revelation by coach Mary McExcuse.....that if you stop the game at half time, we come 2nd in the comp last year.
With those words of wisdom I'll only watch the Dragons games to half time then switch off to maximise my level of satisfaction and enjoyment by 50%
Thanks Mary.....top shelf deflection!
Yeah....If the Olympic marathon had been run over half the distance I would have won the Silver medal..........good one coach

getsmarty

Immortal
We're kidding ourselves if St George Illawarra Dragons don't play finals: Jack de Belin
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_3936_2544_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Big year ahead: St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin has big plans for 2018. Picture: Chris Lane

• There are no more excuses. There is nowhere to hide.

Jack de Belin has a blunt message for his teammates and the club’s fans, saying St George Illawarra are kidding themselves if they do not reach the NRL finals in 2018.

The Dragons kick off the NRL season when they host former coach Wayne Bennett and the Brisbane Broncos at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

St George Illawarra have under achieved in recent seasons, reaching the finals only once in the last six years. Last season, the Dragons were just the third team since the top-eight system was introduced to miss the finals after leading at the end of the seventh round. They also had the highest for-and-against (+83) of any team to miss the finals in the 2000s. Captain Gareth Widdop even labelled the season a failure.

But a new season and new faces have brought a new vibe to the red V.

The club have recruited strongly, with Australian and Queensland State of Origin representative Ben Hunt arriving to play halfback alongside five-eighth Widdop. While they have lost incumbent Test centre Josh Dugan to fierce local rivals Cronulla, coach Paul McGregor is likely to hand the No.1 jersey to exciting Penshurst RSL junior Matt Dufty.

And, with England international James Graham added to a forward pack that includes Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and de Belin, McGregor told the Leader in December it was the best squad he had ever coached.

It is that underwhelming recent past and the promise of what could be in 2018 that has de Belin believing that anything but St George Illawarra playing finals football would be another failure.

“You’d want to think [we’ll play] at least finals footy and give it a red hot shake,” he said.

“I suppose that’s a goal of ours to make the top four. Obviously we've let ourselves down the last couple of years not playing finals footy.

“I suppose this is kind of our year now. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t make it.”

The club also lost influential back-rower Joel Thompson to Manly but have a number of young forwards with potential. Local juniors Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua will all challenge for a first grade spot alongside new signing Jeremy Latimore.

But de Belin believes the club have the back of the scrum covered despite 29-year-old Thompson’s move to the northern beaches.

“Having a player like Joel, he was a great asset to the club on and off the field,” de Belin said.

“He’s definitely a leader and someone that brings a lot of energy and chat on the field as well. He was an essential part of our team but that’s life and that’s football, people move on.

“Obviously we’ve got a big hole to fill but at the same time we’ve got a lot of quality back-rowers in Tariq Sims, [Luciano Leilua] and Frizz. We’re pretty sweet there.”

This season also promises to be a big one personally for de Belin. At 26-years-old and almost 130 NRL games under his belt, he is approaching the prime years of his career.

While NSW coach Brad Fittler has a number of options in his back row including Blues captain Boyd Cordner, Josh Jackson, Sharks forward Wade Graham and Dragons teammate Frizell, de Belin is determined to have as strong a start as he did to the 2017 campaign to force his way into State of Origin reckoning with the Blues.

“I feel like I know my role and where I’m at and what I can provide to a team,” de Belin said.

“I suppose every year I’m still improving and getting better. And this year is no different. I’m still looking to take that step forward… higher rep honours, playing State of Origin and representing my country.

“Any player wants to hear that, [that] they’ll be picking the team on merit and not previous years. If your form warrants it hopefully you should get picked and that’s obviously what it comes down to. I’m going to be putting my best foot forward for the Dragons.”

Obviously we've let ourselves down the last couple of years not playing finals footy. I suppose this is kind of our year now. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t make it.

Jack de Belin
    De Belin is hoping another mammoth pre-season will provide a similarly explosive start to St George Illawarra’s 2018 campaign despite going down in their annual Charity Shield clash to South Sydney in Mudgee.

The Dragons were slow out of the blocks in pre-season last season, including a sluggish showing in their Charity Shield loss to Souths. But a fortnight later they smashed Penrith 42-10 in atrocious conditions in their season opener.

The red V faithful will hope for much of the same on Thursday night.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...lves-if-we-dont-play-finals-de-belin/?cs=3833

We're kidding ourselves if St George Illawarra Dragons don't play finals: Jack de Belin
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_3936_2544_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Big year ahead: St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin has big plans for 2018. Picture: Chris Lane

• There are no more excuses. There is nowhere to hide.

Jack de Belin has a blunt message for his teammates and the club’s fans, saying St George Illawarra are kidding themselves if they do not reach the NRL finals in 2018.

The Dragons kick off the NRL season when they host former coach Wayne Bennett and the Brisbane Broncos at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

St George Illawarra have under achieved in recent seasons, reaching the finals only once in the last six years. Last season, the Dragons were just the third team since the top-eight system was introduced to miss the finals after leading at the end of the seventh round. They also had the highest for-and-against (+83) of any team to miss the finals in the 2000s. Captain Gareth Widdop even labelled the season a failure.

But a new season and new faces have brought a new vibe to the red V.

The club have recruited strongly, with Australian and Queensland State of Origin representative Ben Hunt arriving to play halfback alongside five-eighth Widdop. While they have lost incumbent Test centre Josh Dugan to fierce local rivals Cronulla, coach Paul McGregor is likely to hand the No.1 jersey to exciting Penshurst RSL junior Matt Dufty.

And, with England international James Graham added to a forward pack that includes Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and de Belin, McGregor told the Leader in December it was the best squad he had ever coached.

It is that underwhelming recent past and the promise of what could be in 2018 that has de Belin believing that anything but St George Illawarra playing finals football would be another failure.

“You’d want to think [we’ll play] at least finals footy and give it a red hot shake,” he said.

“I suppose that’s a goal of ours to make the top four. Obviously we've let ourselves down the last couple of years not playing finals footy.

“I suppose this is kind of our year now. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t make it.”

The club also lost influential back-rower Joel Thompson to Manly but have a number of young forwards with potential. Local juniors Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua will all challenge for a first grade spot alongside new signing Jeremy Latimore.

But de Belin believes the club have the back of the scrum covered despite 29-year-old Thompson’s move to the northern beaches.

“Having a player like Joel, he was a great asset to the club on and off the field,” de Belin said.

“He’s definitely a leader and someone that brings a lot of energy and chat on the field as well. He was an essential part of our team but that’s life and that’s football, people move on.

“Obviously we’ve got a big hole to fill but at the same time we’ve got a lot of quality back-rowers in Tariq Sims, [Luciano Leilua] and Frizz. We’re pretty sweet there.”

This season also promises to be a big one personally for de Belin. At 26-years-old and almost 130 NRL games under his belt, he is approaching the prime years of his career.

While NSW coach Brad Fittler has a number of options in his back row including Blues captain Boyd Cordner, Josh Jackson, Sharks forward Wade Graham and Dragons teammate Frizell, de Belin is determined to have as strong a start as he did to the 2017 campaign to force his way into State of Origin reckoning with the Blues.

“I feel like I know my role and where I’m at and what I can provide to a team,” de Belin said.

“I suppose every year I’m still improving and getting better. And this year is no different. I’m still looking to take that step forward… higher rep honours, playing State of Origin and representing my country.

“Any player wants to hear that, [that] they’ll be picking the team on merit and not previous years. If your form warrants it hopefully you should get picked and that’s obviously what it comes down to. I’m going to be putting my best foot forward for the Dragons.”

Obviously we've let ourselves down the last couple of years not playing finals footy. I suppose this is kind of our year now. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t make it.

Jack de Belin
    De Belin is hoping another mammoth pre-season will provide a similarly explosive start to St George Illawarra’s 2018 campaign despite going down in their annual Charity Shield clash to South Sydney in Mudgee.

The Dragons were slow out of the blocks in pre-season last season, including a sluggish showing in their Charity Shield loss to Souths. But a fortnight later they smashed Penrith 42-10 in atrocious conditions in their season opener.

The red V faithful will hope for much of the same on Thursday night.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...lves-if-we-dont-play-finals-de-belin/?cs=3833
So when it suits the club, we over achieved and when it suits we under achieved on McGregor's watch
Well what is it?.
I think JDB is more honest than most and in an earlier interview, he was critical of the way the team performed in 2017 and "hoped" that things would be different in 2018.
Finishing 8th in a 16 team competition is still pretty average in my view and statistically, no chance of winning a title from there..
Let's hope we sprout wings in 2018 because given the hype, there are no more excuses for a tepid showing.

Latest posts