What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
You know what shits me? The argument that a great group of players could essentially do well even with no coach, and that our crop are doing all of this on their own.

Mary has proven himself incompetent in several areas over the years, but fmd some people here have absolutely zero perspective in how a footy team is run. It boggles the mind to see some try to pass off their hate-boner for Mary by saying "Yeah they're doing well but anybody could have done that with this group".

First of all, it's plain as day in the sheds when you see the players in the sheds talking to Mary. He is coaching a lot of what is making this side successful whether people like it or not. He was in a deep discussion with Ben Hunt last night that looked exactly like a player listening to and learning off his coach.

Secondly, I know Mary is not a recruitment manager, but he was instrumental in bringing Hunt to the club. Repeated meetings with Hunt throughout the year, both before and after he signed. Same goes for Graham, who mentioned he signed after a conversation with Mary in an interview last year. And the way he has utilised Hunt in this team has certainly shown up the "Master coach".

I should stop entering this thread because it always make me look like some massive Mary fan, but I'm really not. If we miss the 8 he should be sacked on the spot, 3 drop offs in 4 years will be impossible to come back from for him. But at least I can put aside any preconceptions I have and at least try to be objective. Mary is coaching better and smarter in 2018 than in 2017, we are a layered team with multiple plays and options, and reasonable depth. I am excited to see how we handle Origin and Denver test periods, as that will be Marys most important period as a coach so far.

I just hope that if we continue to do well, some people give him more credit. And if we don't, resume regular programming!
You seem to be having a bob each way.
When he has proven that we will not slump badly and finish well down the table then and only then can he perceived as having learnt and bettered himself.
The last 2 years the Mc Fookknuckle disciples all got on the waggon after the first 7 - 10 games and it all went pear shape.
So in the absence of any other tangible evidence leading the comp after 10 rounds is not a sign that we will do any better than any previous years.
If and when we finish in the top 4 and go deep into the semis maybe he will get some credit but that will also be dependent on how those results pan out.
No good of him getting us to the semis and having the players so flogged to death that we are only token participants.
So in essence there is much more to the bow strings of a coach than just playing good football at the start of a long season.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I just made a copy of this post just in case

Of course, l didn't say who the coach is!
It may even have wheels.

UCS%20659%20ALBION%20LOWLANDER.jpg

No idea how true this story is that last season Price was performing the major coaching role unofficially at the Sharks.
CC

By running the water?

However implausible that is, it does lead me to another idea I've had for a while.

Why don't coaches run onto the feild during the game?
As well as the benefits of getting the message directly to players, imagine the entertainment value, and that's what the game is trying to sell, of say a Bellamy running onto the feild and directly tearing strips off players when a mistake is made.
Now while seeing Bellemy slam the desk and run to the back of the box to rant is a great visual, imagine him doing that on the feild, directly at the players.

The NFL have head coaches on the sideline, Premier League soccer is the same.

Come on, it'd be hilarious.

adamkungl

Immortal
By running the water?

However implausible that is, it does lead me to another idea I've had for a while.

Why don't coaches run onto the feild during the game?
As well as the benefits of getting the message directly to players, imagine the entertainment value, and that's what the game is trying to sell, of say a Bellamy running onto the feild and directly tearing strips off players when a mistake is made.
Now while seeing Bellemy slam the desk and run to the back of the box to rant is a great visual, imagine him doing that on the feild, directly at the players.

The NFL have head coaches on the sideline, Premier League soccer is the same.

Come on, it'd be hilarious.

85ee0575d7f823ff90e77e57480e5160

Draginzaaar

Bench
John Stanley said on his show this morning that when Bennett almost came back to us after leaving Newcastle that they were already talking about which players to buy. Then the Broncos came over the top with their offer.