What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Paddles

Juniors
Mary continues to provide new and interesting ways to showcase his ineptitude. There is no feeling of a steady hand at the tiller. He proceeds with massive weaknesses until he can deny them no longer, then makes weird and radical changes.

Against Penrith he tried to revive his mythical power game. He had the wingers standing 25m in from the sideline. That doesn't just happen - it was a tactic. It took one set for Maloney and Cleary to work this out and exploit it all day. We kept our compressed line and STILL Penrith punched through the middle.

So what does the Maestro do? Sack both the wingers. FFS. Gutless scapegoating.

I'm as interested as anyone else to see Saab play, but if it turns out he is ready, why was he not playing before our season was lost? Why is Lomax on the wing again? We have quite clearly established that he is the best centre in the club.

I can only assume Aitken keeps his place cos Mary wants someone to look more out of place than he does, and to drop Rava for a second time?! What is going on?! He must go.

I don't blame Graham for this. He is honourable and a leader. He respects his chain of command, and would likely never bag his coach publicly. But this just goes to show how culpable the board is. They have guys being loyal and defending the indefensible. Time to step up.
I share your sentiments and I am not really blaming Graham because it would be front page news if any of the players were to ever express their real opinion.
All Graham is describing is exactly what's wrong with the coaching function.
Door open, prepared to talk about things that aren't working and all that fluff.
The players don't believe in McGregor and have good reason to have doubts.
The reality is that the coach should know exactly what to do and doesn't need to guide the team by consensus.
"The coach prepares us well, he is knowledgeable" and so on.
If those comments were forth coming in the first year of his tenure, then they may hold water.
6 Years hence and we are being hoodwinked.

hazzbeen

Bench
I share your sentiments and I am not really blaming Graham because it would be front page news if any of the players were to ever express their real opinion.
All Graham is describing is exactly what's wrong with the coaching function.
Door open, prepared to talk about things that aren't working and all that fluff.
The players don't believe in McGregor and have good reason to have doubts.
The reality is that the coach should know exactly what to do and doesn't need to guide the team by consensus.
"The coach prepares us well, he is knowledgeable" and so on.
If those comments were forth coming in the first year of his tenure, then they may hold water.
6 Years hence and we are being hoodwinked.
Dennis I have a great idea , should have thought of this 4 years ago. SACK MARY , or McGregor , or just sack Mary McGregor ......

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sure, Illawarra are not blameless. And thankfully O'Connor has been deposed by the WIN ownership.

My point is that having a majority St George Board, and then not sacking, and in fact extending McGregor, is at the very least tacit approval from St George. If they actually had higher standards they couldn’t have let this slide.
I take your point, although the current JV board is 50% St George 50% WIN, since August 2018. McGregor's extension for another 2 years was signed this year, in April. There are other issues eg Andrew Gordon (WIN) is chairman of the board. What happens if there is deadlock in the voting? I don't think many of us know what happens in the board room.

In any case, we should be asking why, not who. Why did the board extend McGregor's contract before season's end? Not once, they've done it twice!

If the board were really considering 14 other candidates for the coaching role, then why did they rush into extending McGregor's contract mid-term? Even if the other 14 said no, then surely the board can wait until the end of the year and review his record then. It's not like he is in hot demand, shown by the report that they were looking at so many other candidates.

I know they're all mates, he's a good bloke, loyal to the club and shit like that, but surely there comes a point where it becomes a business decision. It just doesn't make sense.

FTR...

Mon 20 Aug 2018:
St George Illawarra Dragons key facts

The new board

St George District Rugby League Football Club Directors: Brian Johnston, Ralph Piggott, Craig Young, Peter Black

WIN Directors: Andrew Gordon, Andrew Lancaster, Craig Osborne and Graeme Gulloch (Steelers)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/20/dragons-announce-change-of-ownership/

SBD82

Coach
I take your point, although the current JV board is 50% St George 50% WIN, since August 2018. McGregor's extension for another 2 years was signed this year, in April. There are other issues eg Andrew Gordon (WIN) is chairman of the board. What happens if there is deadlock in the voting? I don't think many of know what happens in the board room.

In any case, we should be asking why, not who. Why did the board extend McGregor's contract before season's end? Not once, they've done it twice!

If the board were really considering 14 other candidates for the coaching role, then why did they rush into extending McGregor's contract mid-term? Even the other 14 said no, then surely they can wait until the end of the year and review his record then. It's like he is hot demand, shown by the report that they were looking at so many other candidates.

I know they're all mates, he's a good bloke, loyal to the club and shit like that, but surely there comes a point where it becomes a business decision. It just doesn't make sense.

FTR...

Mon 20 Aug 2018:
St George Illawarra Dragons key facts

The new board

St George District Rugby League Football Club Directors: Brian Johnston, Ralph Piggott, Craig Young, Peter Black

WIN Directors: Andrew Gordon, Andrew Lancaster, Craig Osborne and Graeme Gulloch (Steelers)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/20/dragons-announce-change-of-ownership/
My understanding was that Gulloch doesn’t have voting rights. Although I can’t for the life of me remember where I read that.

Regardless, as you say, it’s a matter now of why, not who. I know I get defensive about the Illawarra side, but I think the whole board needs to be held accountable for their decision making. There’s no other way out of this.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My understanding was that Gulloch doesn’t have voting rights. Although I can’t for the life of me remember where I read that.

Regardless, as you say, it’s a matter now of why, not who. I know I get defensive about the Illawarra side, but I think the whole board needs to be held accountable for their decision making. There’s no other way out of this.
I read the same thing about Gulloch but couldn't locate the source. Also heard that Gordon's position as chairman is more influential, but I don't take much stock in hearsay.

There's one thing I'll assume: Something isn't right with the way the board chooses the coach. Just have to look at the runs on the scoreboard, or lack thereof.

We need a new coach from the outside. My concern is that the next coaching appointment will be another old boy.

SBD82

Coach
We need a new coach from the outside. My concern is that the next coaching appointment will be another old boy.
This is my big fear. It’s looming as the perfect storm for bringing in Young or Hornby as caretaker coach, then extending them based on a couple of wins during the bounce back period. Which is really only rearranging the deck chairs.

giboz71

First Grade
Harry Bath, Roy Masters, Brian Smith, David Waite and Wayne Bennett. All made Grand Finals, Bennett and Bath premierships.

All plied their trade elsewhere before making it to the Dragons.

Conversely, old boys just parachuted into the role with little or no experience. Craig Young, Nathan Brown, Steve Price, Paul McGregor.

Hello is anyone home? Surely history suggests we won’t appoint yet another rookie old boy.

Bench
If we don’t learn from history you are bound to fail, I don’t know who wrote that phrase.
Could be applied to the Board to remind them what needs to be done

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Harry Bath, Roy Masters, Brian Smith, David Waite and Wayne Bennett. All made Grand Finals, Bennett and Bath premierships.

All plied their trade elsewhere before making it to the Dragons.

Conversely, old boys just parachuted into the role with little or no experience. Craig Young, Nathan Brown, Steve Price, Paul McGregor.

Hello is anyone home? Surely history suggests we won’t appoint yet another rookie old boy.
Got a feeling that History is about to repeat itself.....will be another old boy for certain

BLM01

First Grade
Anyone who is interested our CEO will be on radio 2SM at 4.15pm this afternoon.
I put it in this thread because i am hoping he will announce the sacking of Mary...not.
Should be riveting listening....or not

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Anyone who is interested our CEO will be on radio 2SM at 4.15pm this afternoon.
I put it in this thread because i am hoping he will announce the sacking of Mary...not.
Should be riveting listening....or not
Can you give us the basic short version when it goes to air please

BLM01

First Grade
Can you give us the basic short version when it goes to air please
Cost you $30 for my time ;). I'll give you my bank account details later..or
I'll give it to now.
The board is happy with everything at present and we are just going through a bad period. Just need the fans to be patient. We have added Trent Barrett to the coaching staff to assist with game plans and transistion of our lower grade players as poor Matt Head has to do 2 jobs, coach reggies and help Mary and it is affected the performance of his reserve grade side as they are our future and our likely team in the finals this year.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I'll give it to now.
The board is happy with everything at present and we are just going through a bad period. Just need the fans to be patient. We have added Trent Barrett to the coaching staff to assist with game plans and transistion of our lower grade players as poor Matt Head has to do 2 jobs, coach reggies and help Mary and it is affected the performance of his reserve grade side as they are our future and our likely team in the finals this year.
Thanks for the update...as expected zero changes to current coaches just confirmed addition of another old boy..why am I not surprised..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This is my big fear. It’s looming as the perfect storm for bringing in Young or Hornby as caretaker coach, then extending them based on a couple of wins during the bounce back period. Which is really only rearranging the deck chairs.
Time to throw the deck chairs overboard.

I'll give it to now.

F#*k you Johnston. This guy will turn out to be worse than Doust.

Straight Shooter

BLM01

First Grade
Thanks for the update...as expected zero changes to current coaches just confirmed addition of another old boy..why am I not surprised..
I lied but I was close.
The interview just endorsed what they have been doing is in the right direction, excuses for this year we all know were coming and travel maybe for previous years as well...but they doing everything they can trying to steer us in the right direction and get back to being successful. End of discussion.
Least he fronted as Mary and previous CEO would not front to answer the same questions.
No review of anything in particular it seems last night...or purposely said nothing and deflected to every year at the end reviews are being done and he does a weekly one with the coach.
Nothing to give you guys..Sorry!...did you really expect answers or changes

Latest posts