What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Warabrook saint

Juniors
And we had 2 golden point wins against Brisbane and Newcastle which we could have easily lost. Norman bailed us out twice.

The Cows were coming to get us late as well if it wasn't for a forward pass. And as you say, we should have probably lost the Manly game.

So really other than the 2 Dogs wins (against another spoon candidate), we haven't had what you would call a solid win all year.
And idiots in the media are supporting mcgregor and the club and condemning the fans

BLM01

First Grade
Thinking about it if we could get 20,000 Dragons fans to all chip in $50 bucks and deliver to Mary's doorstep with simple instructions, take it and thanks for your efforts.
That would probably be quicker than any tough decision making from our incompetent Board.
Who's in.
Make it $5 and you have me interested. problem is getting the 20,000

giboz71

First Grade
And idiots in the media are supporting mcgregor and the club and condemning the fans

I've mentioned it earlier. It's been going on for over a year.

Since early July last year, we've only won 10 out of a possible 30 games, a f##king 30% win rate in over a season of footy.

Funnily enough, its the same win percentage as Garth Brennan's tenure at the Titans (12wins from 40 games) and he was rightly sacked. And Brennan has nowhere near the roster Mary has.

How our bloke keeps surviving, and why the media keep shielding him I'll never know?

BLM01

First Grade
I agree Mary...it is silly to be talking about wooden spoon 5 weeks from the end
But you must ask yourself and wonder why all and sundry including your favoured media are raising it and linking it possibly to us.
How dare they!

By the way his pre game interviews are getting shorter and shorter. It has all been asked and said and done I suppose. Nothing left for the soft reporters to inflate his or the teams tyres anymore.

Qapm

Juniors
renouf said:
There is no question they've had their off-field troubles and injuries at key stages but it's still a good team they roll out on paper and I beg to ask the question what's happened there.

Now before people think I'm joining in on the growing chorus of Dragons fans wanting Paul McGregor gone; I'm definitely not trying to oust Mary here because I love the bloke.

But a seasoned coach like Wayne Bennett would think he could've done something with the team this year.

So, has Mary lost the dressing room?

Hewi thanks for the link.

Nice try Stevo but remember this is a litmus test, it's YES or NO and you can't ride the line. The conspiracy of fail at the Dragons is such that the answer to your question can only reside with those responsible for leading the club.

HowHigh

Coach
A loss against the Titans will have to get the media starting to talk negatively about him, unfortunately I think we will win so it won't happen.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: McGregor not entertaining 'spoon bowl' talk
Dragons Den
r0_0_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

COMPETITOR: "He'll tell you it's only one more than 399 but we all know it's a lot more than that." James Graham in action. Picture: NRL Photos
IT'S a discussion no side ever wants to be a part of but Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he isn't treating Saturday's clash with the Titans as a dreaded 'spoon bowl'.

The Dragons are currently 14th on the ladder, level with the Bulldogs on 14 competition points, but just one win behind the Warriors and Cowboys who sit above them.

The Titans are running stone-motherless last on the back of a horror season that ultimately saw the sacking of coach Garth Brennan following a round-14 defeat to Penrith.

It's done nothing to turn their fortunes around, dropping their last three games by a combined 94 points, including last week's 58-6 capitulation to the Roosters.

It was halfback Ash Taylor's return clash after eight weeks personal leave but the 24-year-old was cut from the Titans line-up this week and may not play again this season.

The Dragons have had their own issues, dropping 11 of their last 13 games including a 12-4 loss to the Eels last week that quashed even the faintest of finals hopes.

The two sides will meet again in round 25 in what could well be a playoff to avoid the dreaded spoon but McGregor said that talk was premature ahead of this week's meeting.

"The conversation around the wooden spoon with five weeks remaining is pretty silly so I don't really want to enter into that," McGregor said.

"I will say we want to use our position on the ladder [as motivation] to improve and finish on a high to build into next season. Mal [Meninga's] come out and said they've got to show [they] care.

"Kevin's [Proctor's] come out and written letter to the fans so I'm expecting them to come down here with an attitude and we've got to make sure that ours is better.

"It's important we go out there and play with more energy and enthusiasm than our opposition and improve a few parts in our game. The last two weeks we've been in the battle but haven't won the fight so we're looking to go out there tomorrow, be in the battle and win the war."

Read more: Frizell's call to lay-off coaching staff

McGregor said his side will be extra motivated to ensure James Graham's 400th senior game of football results in a win, while centre Euan Aitken will also play his 100th game at just 24 and Jackson Ford will debut from the bench.

"He'll tell you it's only one more than 399 but we all know it's a lot more than that and a great honour," McGregor said.

"He's a person that inspires others. Everyone that plays [NRL] rugby league has got a competitive nature, a good footy IQ and a high tolerance for pain but he just takes all of that to another level.

"That's got him through a lot of the years, just his passion and his want to fight for every inch and it's important you've got leaders in your club that do that and drive others.

"He helps people around him, he's a gentleman and a once in a generation type of player. He's a great person to have involved in the club and leave a legacy here.

"It's been a year we haven't wanted but he has not stopped fighting so tomorrow's a special day for him."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6320095/mcgregor-bats-away-talk-of-spoon-bowl/?cs=3713

18to87

First Grade

"The conversation around the wooden spoon with five weeks remaining is pretty silly so I don't really want to enter into that," McGregor said.

"I will say we want to use our position on the ladder [as motivation] to improve and finish on a high to build into next season. Mal [Meninga's] come out and said they've got to show [they] care.

"Kevin's [Proctor's] come out and written letter to the fans so I'm expecting them to come down here with an attitude and we've got to make sure that ours is better.

"It's important we go out there and play with more energy and enthusiasm than our opposition and improve a few parts in our game. The last two weeks we've been in the battle but haven't won the fight so we're looking to go out there tomorrow, be in the battle and win the war."

:rolleyes::rolleyes: