What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
I like your optimism Hazz. But after all these years my inner cynic is pretty strong.

If I was the CEO getting pressure from the fans, and wanted to keep Mary, I’d say something like “we will complete an end of season review, the coach will be a part of that”.

In 4 weeks time, when the team is not on television getting smashed every week, and all of the media attention has turned to the finals, I’d stage a Friday arvo press conference, and announce that McGregor has been retained, and that we believe he will do a great job next year, just as he did last year when we were one win away from a major semi.

Could be different...agree they don't care about fans, but Players ;)

SBD82

Coach
Could be different...agree they don't care about fans, but Players ;)
Appreciate you being positive mate, but if it’s alright with you, I’m going to remain cynical for now.

This club has made so many disappointing decisions in recent years that even if they move McGregor on, I’m still very nervous about who they will appoint.

hazzbeen

Bench
I like your optimism Hazz. But after all these years my inner cynic is pretty strong.

If I was the CEO getting pressure from the fans, and wanted to keep Mary, I’d say something like “we will complete an end of season review, the coach will be a part of that”.

In 4 weeks time, when the team is not on television getting smashed every week, and all of the media attention has turned to the finals, I’d stage a Friday arvo press conference, and announce that McGregor has been retained, and that we believe he will do a great job next year, just as he did last year when we were one win away from a major semi.
There is too much pressure now building , sponsors putting pressure on the big knobs , media slowly coming on board , he has shown nothing to keep him on .... As I said its brewing ....

Dragsters

First Grade

Just like Doust did a few years back?

Surely they can't think everyone will fall for that tripe again???

SBD82

Coach
Just like Doust did a few years back?

Surely they can't think everyone will fall for that tripe again???
Why not? It worked the first time around.

Even on the roar article that was posted earlier there was still a comment that “true fans should support the club and stop bagging the coach”.

Public opinion can be easily swayed most of the time, and especially when their attention is diverted elsewhere.

Gareth67

First Grade
Appreciate you being positive mate, but if it’s alright with you, I’m going to remain cynical for now.

This club has made so many disappointing decisions in recent years that even if they move McGregor on, I’m still very nervous about who they will appoint.

Yes so am I . After all they did have an opportunity last year when a number of knowledgeable coaches came onto the market , namely Bennett , Seibold , Hazler and Maguire . Our nutters simply were not interested, they had already decided that they would renew the maestros contract sometime in the new season .

So now when something that is completely alien appears on the scene - namely criticism
, from at this point in time only a few sources and then pressure from the clubs sponsors who begin to realize that they don’t want their product associated with LOSERS , that is when bad mistakes are made . The Joint Ventures carnival salesmen will jump at the first shadow of a coach that comes along , just as long the name is different from Mary .

As for Flanagan himself I cannot see him being able to coach any team until the suspension is over and then any right thinking person would realize that his methods with the ‘ additives ‘ given to his players just is not on .

Warabrook saint

Juniors
McGregor made the JDB issue much worse than is should have been.
Training with the squad. Waiting for the court to exonerate.
Building unrealistic expectations about DeBelin's contribution in 2019.
Should have quarantined the issue early on and built a team with what he knew for sure he had.
Would have been a much more settled roster and players like Host would have ably filled DeBelin's shoes.
On top of that, he then went on to keep using that as one of his main excuses.
It was his insurance

OMG, could this really be happening...

NRL 2019: Paul McGregor under pressure Dragons, St George Illawarra, Dragons vs Titans https://www.news.com.au/sport/paul-...t/news-story/44b8bd6817a7b4a6d563c567443d0e76

Straight Shooter

Impressive story.

He won’t resign voluntarily resign unless the pay-out is sorted i guess.

They think Brown might get the post-Mary poisoned chalice, but he wasn’t that great at Newcastle.

Of the coaches I’ve looked at, I think Griffin is the best solution. Has long time nrl experience and a fair %.

Plus he’s no nonsense and couldn’t give a rats for people’s feelings.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor facing the axe as St. George Illawarra Dragons coach following horror season

48 mins ago

$
:copyright: Getty Images
The pressure gauge could be set to claim another coaching casualty, with Dragons coach Paul McGregor on thin ice to remain at the helm of the famous club beyond this season.

The Dragons have had one of the worst campaigns in the club's rich history, despite sitting as pre-season fancies at the start of the year, and will finish the season in 15th spot having won only seven games.

The Dragons board have been outspoken about a review that will be conducted on the club's football department post-season, however it was announced McGregor's position would not be questioned.

However, The Daily Telegraph's Phil Rothfield is reporting that the review is becoming increasingly likely to end McGregor's six-years as head coach of the club.

Appearing on Fox League's Controversy Corner, Rothfield said the calamitous end to this season is likely to be enough for the club's board of directors to decide to part ways with McGregor.

"Paul McGregor has been under pressure for some time, there's been a massive fan backlash," Rothfield said on Monday.

"To this day St George have held back on the pressure, but I had a call today saying there will be a review at the end of the season. It will involve Mary now, whereas (before) it was more around his staff.

"The fact that they will now finish 15th, the fact that they are now allowing teams like the Wests Tigers to put 40 plus points on them, is unacceptable.

"I spoke to Brian Johnson an hour ago and I said I've had mail that Mary McGregor will go after this review. He wouldn't confirm that he was staying, or giving him his 100 percent backing, he said it's all going to come down to the review."

A former club legend who played 124 games for the Illawarra Steelers before becoming the foundational captain of the St. George Illawarra merger, McGregor hasn't quite earned the love from the Dragons fans in his six years as coach.

The Dragons have made only two finals series in that time, a far cry away from the long streaks of success the Red V was once renowned for.

There has been an outcry of anger towards the club from passionate Dragons fans at home games this season about the way the team has traveled.

Rothfield told Fox League's NRL360 he felt these will prove to be the hammer that nailed the final nail in McGregor's coffin.

“A lot of people tipped St George to make the top four and some tipped them to win the premiership,” Rothfield said.

“I think they have had a massive fan backlash on social media and the stories about the Mary McGregor banners.

“I think they are reacting to a bit of fan pressure, but that performance yesterday against the Tigers just added to it.

The two names that have been thrown in the hat to take over from McGregor should he be axed are Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon and former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan, who still remains deregistered by the NRL.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...following-horror-season/ar-AAGHcWb?li=BBU4PL8

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor under pressure to keep Dragons coaching post
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

d8703357746901e36792fff5dcfedf62

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is reportedly set to coach his last game at the club in Round 25.Source: AAP
Paul McGregor is reportedly under pressure to keep his job at St George Illawarra beyond his side’s final game against the Titans in Round 25.

Veteran journalist Phil Rothfield revealed that McGregor is under increasing pressure to hold onto his post after six seasons and 139 games at the helm.

The Daily Telegraph reported that despite a two-year contract extension earlier this year, officials are resigned to having to make the difficult call after a disastrous season.

“Paul McGregor is in big trouble to keep his job,” Rothfield told NRL 360.

“After the defeat yesterday and the disastrous season.

“I spoke to Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston this evening and he would not confirm that his future is safe.”

The Dragons are set to undergo a review at the end of the season, with McGregor at long odds to survive, according to Rothffield.

“McGregor will be a part of the full review, which would hten go to the board before Christmas.

“There are key powerbrokers at the Dragons, who now have concerns about Mary moving forward even though in April they extended his contract by two years.”

Paul Kent believes the fact the club are undergoing a review leads him to the conclusion that the Dragons are looking for a new coach.

“The old line used to be he has the full support of the board, which you knew when that was uttered that you were a dead man walking,” Kent said.

“Now the moment they say there is going to be a review, the fact that they believe there is a need for a review seems to indicate there is a need for a new coach.”

745299_640x360_large_20190902210602.jpg

McGregor to leave Dragons?

1:58
Rothfield believes a fan backlash is responsible for the pressure that McGregor is under.

“I think they have had a massive fan backlash on social media and the stories about the Mary Mcgregor banners,” Rothfield said.

“I think they are reacting to a bit of fan pressure, but that performance yesterday against the Tigers just added to it.

e57ba9aa1c424bf77fcd087bbec1c5c7

The Dragons will finish 15th in 2019 after being heavily favoured to make the top four.Source: Getty Images
“A lot of people tipped St George to make the top four and some tipped them to win the premiership.”

McGregor is reportedly on $600,000-a-season which would force the Dragons to pay out $1.2 million before signing a new coach.

Two names have been mentioned as possible replacements – Sydney Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon and former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan, who still has to be cleared.

McGregor refused to comment when contacted by the Daily Telegraph.

Ben Ikin questioned whether sacked Knights coach Nathan Brown could be considered as a potential replacement, if McGregor is let go.

“Is it just coincidence that Nathan Brown parts company with the Newcastle Knights, so now all of a sudden there is some urgency at the Dragons?” Ikin said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/b6061be666cdb84c5680c59a7077f304

Latest posts