1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Sack mcgregor

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by thebigredv, Jul 4, 2016.

1. The Silverdale Phantom

The Silverdale Phantom Bench

Yeah there was a short interview yesterday with Gus on wwos - you can find it out there.

The story is that Mary rings Gus and invites him onto the review team. Gus rings Bj and that is confirmed but he isn’t given a job description. They meet next Tuesday.

Gus was at pains to mention that he wasn’t getting paid by sgi and then he flogged on about how a lot of club people, coaches and players ring and consult him about their seasons.

Gus confirmed earlier reports that it was his initial view that there isn’t a lot of feeling for change at sgi hq.

I can’t see the review doing much to improve the coaching and it will probably serve to make the players feel even worse than they do now.

Just a snipe at Vaughn if I could. He was pro Mary in the media and then you look at his game last week and like Graham it was lamentable.

Those two together they blew 12 points with a hesitation on benji and James blows a simple try across the line. Are they both not elite?!

A lessor light, McIness wants to keep playing with a broken leg and Tyson’s try save was smart and good footy.

The pro-Mary players need to walk the walk.

The strawberry milkshakers are showing them up.

Gus won’t make that assessment in his review of the review.

2. TheOnlyTeam

TheOnlyTeam Juniors

And Gould will lose any credibility that he had remaining.

3. Qapm

Qapm Juniors

Full disclosure. I'm a Gould fan but a central theme of my posts is how the Dragons implosion is emblematic of larger issues. I've called it corrosion. The credibility of Dragon's management, the news media, the NRL, and a lot more are in doubt. My belief in all things NRL corrodes every day.

I hope Gould finds the magic formula to fix the team in 2020 but if it really is just a ruse to protect the staus-quo then it is better I learn about the fraud than go on giving a s(&& about the NRL.

Edit to say I hope Gould find the magic formula to set us back on path to recovery. Not expecting Top 4 next year but let's live up to potential.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  4. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 First Grade

Yes mate,
    We will have a garage full of Aston Martins and still have an apprentice Daewoo mechanic to service them.

[​IMG]

5. The Silverdale Phantom

Well to even approach Gould is a complete admission that the club is wholly unable to cope on its own.

They have millions of dollars under their control and direct management and nobody, not one single official club person, has any clue (or nobody is listening to any official who does).

If they did, they would have turned things around ages ago.

It’s a humiliation and an embarrassment to approach any media personality to fix things. It brings shame and dishonour to all concerned.

If Gus retains Mary, if he advises Mary on any direct player communications, the players will still associate every word with Mary. And they haven’t listened to Mary for a long long time.

And that reflects the forlorn and hopeless coaching decisions he’s made and which has been discussed here no end.

Not to mention his inexplicable excuses that are now entering the broader rugby league lexicon.

And young “Fred” at work, a bloke who played footy with Dufty, the last game he went to was Souths v Easts on Thursday night because he said “ I want to enjoy myself at a game”

He should be the first bloke Gould talks to.

End the nightmare, call off Gould and sack Mary.

And you can look forward to Gus answering media questions about your club. Are they effing kidding?!

6. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

It is becoming more and more evident that "pro bono" Gould has only been added to the review process in order to add credibility to the result which is pre ordained.
    Namely the retention and perseverance with McGregor.
    They throw in the possibility of firing him if we lose to the Titans today because they are very confident of winning.
    I just wonder whether they would really get rid of McGregor if we lose?

7. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

I'm expecting Gus's conversation with Tyson Frizell will be most interesting & enlightening. I keep hearing them whispers he wants out if the Peanut remains at the helm. Our stupid bloody management probably consider this a bonus to buy some more journeyman in bulk! FMD it's a friggin mess.

sco22, getsmarty, Dragsters and 4 others like this.
  8. The Silverdale Phantom

I totally agree- this is the only reason for the deployment of Gus that makes any sense.

There is no other credible explanation that comes close to it.

Then when the failure continues, they can point at Gus and Gus can blame them and no one beyond the cohorts will know where the fault lies.

They are probably all patting each other on the back about this masterstroke of ingenuity and deception.

In the meantime Gus gets another risk free chance to promote himself.

With apologies to some here, it was sickening listening to him blowing his own trumpet.

If you can’t attend to your injuries, Gus can’t.

He’s about as useful as a cop during a house fire or a fire fighter encountering a crime.

9. The Silverdale Phantom

We are trying to offload a few duds, about $2m worth. We have paid bloody grub $300k per regulation season game this year. Packers on 700k per season for smoking reefers in Reggie’s, That’s how much our management suck. But at least our coach has a pulse.

There’s probably scores of muppets trying to play for sgi where not much is actually expected of you under the Mary regime.

Where you get a game off or two if you look a bit pale, tired or don’t feel 100%.

Especially just before a season defining game with hundreds of thousands of dollars, careers, names and sponsorships all on the line.

Fix that one Gus you selfish big noting hero supremo.

Gus needs to hammered for his selfishness by climbing on board with Mary still at the wheel.

He has joined the fellowship of Mary and thus he becomes an active Mary loving tool.

Gus can go down with the ship. He’s going to find the sgi fans a lot harder than us tiger folk when he took part stealing that lyin ivan. He was against it but he was more than happy to spear Griffin.

Hook would turn everything around for you.

TheOnlyTeam likes this.
  10. 2010

2010 Bench

The review done by Gould is that it’s only a review the board can either accept or dismiss any points raised by Gould.
    The only way to give his review any weight is to appoint him in some form as the football manager where he can hire or fire anyone in the team or the coaching staff.
    To me bringing in Gould now is just a waste of time

11. BBTB

BBTB Juniors

McGregor, apparently approached Gus to help out conducting the review.
    Gus has already stated, McGregor is the Coach for the next
    two years.

12. The Silverdale Phantom

Well that’s it then.

13. draco

draco Juniors

upload_2019-9-7_16-45-6.gif

Come on Mary. Don’t be stubborn. Just walk away. The NRL is littered with ex career coaches. Not everyone is up to it. Nothing to be ashamed of. Gave it your best shot. You’ll feel better for it if you do. So will we. Ok?..

14. Crossbow

Crossbow Juniors

I’ve been waiting all year for this game
    Our grand final
    We will call it the coconut cup
    So excited last vs second last
    Going to get my jumper ready
    Thanks Mary for getting us to the cup
    Coconuts for everyone if we win

15. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Gould would probably help push him in uncle Nick's direction...LOL

16. St Georgio

St Georgio Juniors

We are getting so pumped by other Sydney club supporters that my raging hate for every other club is unprecedented.
    McGregor and the Illawarra faction bring Nothing to the success of the St George Dragons, the better they both f**k off the better we will be!

17. dragonfire

dragonfire Bench

Nothing will change. Mary played it well by approaching Gould.

Looks like he is acknowledging issues and wants to solve it so it looks positive to the club.

We have needed a coach even since Bennett left and have at least another year

getsmarty likes this.
  18. dragonfire

dragonfire Bench

man listening to the commentators on nrl app where they sound shocked about the rumours regarding McGregor getting the axe.

I don’t know him as a person but from all reports he Ian a great guy. It’s like people look at him rather than his actual inability to coach first grade. His record is bad, the Titans/Knights have flicked their coach before the season is over...

19. Dragons22

Dragons22 Juniors

S
    A
    C
    K
    M
    C
    I
    D
    I
    O
    T

18to87 likes this.
  20. 18to87

18to87 First Grade

Keep McGregor away from the CC side. Give them a chance!