What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

The board is fully behind McGregor to try to fight his way out of it.

The terms of the statement were extremely strong and they have painted themselves into a corner.

They can’t turn around now and say they were only joking or didn’t mean it.

They are not very interested in stats. I noticed how they linked the players to the coach, trying to group them as one. They forgot to mention the players who want out, they grow in number every other week.

You’d think a new signing or three could soothe the fans....all they got was Suli vomiting all over his outrageous offer, to play for beer money under Des.

To be fair, the public nature of the rejection, helps the sack Mary forces.
Any young player would steer well clear of our coaching environment.
Des has taken Suli's raw talent and made him an attacking weapon.
Money is a factor but Suli has had some good advice about his future because he still so young.
He still has a lot of development to do under Des.
The older they get, the more attractive the money aspect becomes which is why we keep signing older players and very often journeymen.
Garrick and Thompson are proving to be excellent additions to the Manly squad and AFB is now one of the best front rowers in the comp.
Single handedly destroyed Brisbane up the middle in the second half last night.
McGregor = Mediocrity.

Any young player would steer well clear of our coaching environment.
Des has taken Suli's raw talent and made him an attacking weapon.
Money is a factor but Suli has had some good advice about his future because he still so young.
He still has a lot of development to do under Des.
The older they get, the more attractive the money aspect becomes which is why we keep signing older players and very often journeymen.
Garrick and Thompson are proving to be excellent additions to the Manly squad and AFB is now one of the best front rowers in the comp.
Single handedly destroyed Brisbane up the middle in the second half last night.
McGregor = Mediocrity.

Yes.

it’s hard to think of any player in sgi who is a better player under Mary. Cam probably is, but his body can’t last forever.

The vast majority are declining.

That’s a profound issue that the board simply failed to address. All of the evidence was there in front of them.

The vote for Mary showed unqualified and continuing support for some very bad decisions made by the same decision maker/s.

Sooner or later I think the boys must put together a good win. That’s all good, but the challenge is to keep it rolling. Any talk of genuine improvement after one success is precipitous and a nonsense. I need to see 8 wins from the remaining matches to see a genuine improvement. I am expecting 4 or 5.

I don’t know if having jdb around has worked, but to blame his presence for upsetting the group seems a bit far fetched. There is a process and even nrl players must submit to it. I think he should leave voluntarily as a gesture until hes sorted.

Last edited:
As I said GD..since Round 9 2018...his rate.is 35.5% (and all against bottom 8 sides at the time except for 1)
Regardless of his overall result...is that not the most relevant stats to ponder on whether he is a credible coach and he stays. One of the worst records of any coach in past 2 years

But the board has reduced his poor performances to just 4 week this season.

Straight Shooter

matPORTS

Juniors
Yes.

it’s hard to think of any player in sgi who is a better player under Mary. Cam probably is, but his body can’t last forever.

The vast majority are declining.

That’s a profound issue that the board simply failed to address. All of the evidence was there in front of them.

The vote for Mary showed unqualified and continuing support for some very bad decisions made by the same decision maker/s.

Sooner or later I think the boys must put together a good win. That’s all good, but the challenge is to keep it rolling. Any talk of genuine improvement after one success is precipitous and a nonsense. I need to see 8 wins from the remaining matches to see a genuine improvement. I am expecting 4 or 5.

I don’t know if having jdb around has worked, but to blame his presence for upsetting the group seems a bit far fetched. There is a process and even nrl players must submit to it. I think he should leave voluntarily as a gesture until hes sorted.

... and what is going probably going to happen next is another round of panic selections from Maestro i.e. Hunt will get moved to 9 and McInnes to 13. There is some media heat being applied around this so it won't be a surprise to see it happen at some point in these next four weeks. This in turn will then likely bugger up McInnes, thus rendering, arguably our most effective player of the last 12-18 months, ineffective.

I can see further reasons why this change might happen. There will also be some outside pressure to get Saab and/or Sailor into the side in coming weeks as well. Only way that might happen is to somehow get Norman back into the halves as a starting point.

Hmm. What an almighty mess !

BLM01

First Grade
They have selective extremely short memories
Look I understand more than most why the PR spin from the Dragons media is in overdrive and Yes the players and the club do need to stand solid with one another and the coach at this point and unite all the time and say it publicly.
But now it is time (or should I say it is overdue) to act on field accordingly.
I can cop the performances we have had this year and I too would not be too worried on that alone but its just we have now had the same coach and player feel good statements too many times over the past 2 years and its worn thin.

I dont believe in the JDB divide as the media conveniently and some on here think they know is real.
If he is innocent we need him badly back out to firm up our middle to help McInnes out in defence and attack.

Probably most (not all) of the players are in Mary's corner but unfortunately the continual talk is cheap, the continual interviews to put out media fires is cheap that we seem to have every 4 or 5 weeks since our slide in 2018.

Forget the rest of the off field perceived crap which is mostly (not all) non existant with a lot of it fuelled by hungry player managers.and media spin story telling....
but more so the on field performances of the past 2 years need to be changed and I can only see it is the coach and some players that have to make way. No more and enough talk about solidarity

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
... and what is going probably going to happen next is another round of panic selections from Maestro i.e. Hunt will get moved to 9 and McInnes to 13. There is some media heat being applied around this so it won't be a surprise to see it happen at some point in these next four weeks. This in turn will then likely bugger up McInnes, thus rendering, arguably our most effective player of the last 12-18 months, ineffective.

I can see further reasons why this change might happen. There will also be some outside pressure to get Saab and/or Sailor into the side in coming weeks as well. Only way that might happen is to somehow get Norman back into the halves as a starting point.

Hmm. What an almighty mess !
McInnes going to 13 would be disastrous.
Might help short term in defence but would totally stuff him up. Attack wise it would add nothing.

hewi

Bench
I’m on my knees praying.

View on page

Believe it: Bennett is firming for Dragons

PAUL CRAWLEY

image.ashx

AAP

Souths coach Wayne Bennett has played down Dragons link

Sometimes it’s best to read the smoke signals when trying to make sense of what is fact from fiction.

And while Wayne Bennett maintains he has not been approached by anyone at St George Illawarra to take over if Paul McGregor is sacked, the speculation just won’t go away.

While McGregor was given a stay of execution this week, there is no way he will be able to continue next year if he doesn’t turn the club’s fortunes around very soon, starting with Sunday’s showdown with arch rivals Cronulla.

Meanwhile, Bennett continues to be linked to a Red V return despite having a year to run on his South Sydney contract.

Bennett still has some powerful allies at the Dragons following his last visit when he gave the joint venture it’s only premiership in 2010.

It was also interesting to read Bennett’s comments last week in relation to why Brisbane made a critical mistake appointing Anthony Seibold ahead of his former Broncos and current Rabbitohs assistant Jason Demetriou.

What this made crystal clear is that Bennett thinks Demetriou is ready to be a head coach.

But Bennett has also previously indicated he is not ready to retire, and will remain coaching for as long as he is physically capable of doing the job.

Bennett’s many critics continue to point out that the NRL’s most successful coach is now 70, and therefore becoming too old to remain in charge at the elite level.

But if you ignore Bennett’s age and focus on his recent results, Fox Sports Stats show that Bennett still remains up with Craig Bellamy and Trent Robinson with the best strike rates of all coaches.

Fox Sports Stats show since 2015 Bellamy’s winning record is 73.18 per cent, ahead of Shane Flanagan (63.80), Bennett (62.5) and Robinson (62.22).

Since 2018 Bennett still ranks behind only Bellamy and Robinson of coaches who remain employed.

Bellamy still has the best strike rate (72.41%) ahead of Robinson (70.68%), Anthony Griffin (65%), Flanagan (62.96%) and Bennett (58.92%).

But during this period Griffin and Flanagan both coached less than half as many games.

Below this group it goes Des Hasler (56.66%), Ricky Stuart (54.54%), Anthony Seibold (53.57%) and Ivan Cleary (50%) as the only coaches with a better than 50 per cent winning record.

McGregor comes in 14th at 44.44 per cent, although his strike rate has dipped dramatically over the last 12 months.

Bennett was being coy when asked about the speculation ahead of the Rabbitohs’ clash against Gold Coast.

Asked if it was his intention to see out his Souths contract, Bennett said: “Every time there is a problem at a club I seem to be going to it.

“They had me at five before I left the Broncos.”

Bennett is right in that his name was linked to many clubs but ultimately he ended up getting offers at three. Remember, he took the Souths job after knocking back the Wests Tigers position.

And that was after Phil Gould also offered Bennett the job at Penrith before the Panthers board went for Cleary.

This was when Cleary maintained he would not be leaving the Tigers, and all was in motion by the time Bennett was ultimately sacked at the Broncos.

What it illustrates is that when it comes to talk of coaching movements where there is smoke there is often fire, even when they try and convince us it’s only hot air.

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

Sport

getsmarty

Immortal
Issac Luke becomes first disgruntled Dragon to leave embattled club
Adrian Proszenko
June 13, 2020 — 10.05am
  • Send via Email

Luke’s departure after just three games will raise further questions about recruitment and team selection at St George Illawarra. The former Kiwi international was signed as a backup to Cameron McInnes after Reece Robson shifted to North Queensland in the off season. But after just three appearances for the Dragons, Luke has been released to add experience to a Broncos outfit missing the injured Jake Turpin. The veteran rake’s arrival will also assist with the development of promising young dummy half Cory Paix.

Luke informed his Dragons teammates of his decision after coming to terms with Brisbane on a deal for the rest of the year.

The development comes just a week after Dragons recruitment target Moses Suli knocked back a three-year, $2 million deal to re-sign at Manly on a two-year deal worth half as much. Star forward Tyson Frizell will also leave at the end of the season in the belief he has a greater chance of winning a premiership at Newcastle. The dramas are hardly a ringing endorsement for the last-placed club, the only one yet to win a game in 2020.

The St George Illawarra board opted to publicly offer McGregor their full support following an emergency board meeting earlier in the week at which many pundits believed the coach would be axed. The Dragons have won just two of their past 14 games, both against wooden spooners Gold Coast, coming into their local derby with Cronulla at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday.

e1ed87927515938b1cf86a46ac3fc035fe58f557

Issac Luke is heading to Brisbane due to a lack of opportunity at the Dragons.Credit:AAP

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb believed the decision to publicly back rather than sack McGregor would ease the pressure on the coach.

"He’s just appreciative of the club outwardly displaying support for him," Webb said during the week.

"I think he’s just keen to be getting on with the job now."

The Dragons again refused to grant Saab a release after a second meeting with his manager during the week. However, the 19-year-old winger remains unhappy at the club amid interest from other teams including the Tigers, Bulldogs, Warriors, Rabbitohs, Storm and Sea Eagles.

Dufty had been sounded out by the Gold Coast, although they are likely to instead settle on another fullback currently unable to crack a first-grade spot, Wests Tigers utility Corey Thompson.

Sailor, the son of dual international Wendell, is also losing patience after being unable to break into a winless team. The 21-year-old impressed during the last three games of last season and was a standout during the Nines, but has again been overlooked for selection despite an injury suffered by outside back Brayden Wiliame.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is...-to-leave-embattled-club-20200613-p5528m.html

Luke was the only proper signing from last year but he’s hardly foreman material.

But a handy back up for an injury and a good club man. A journeyman’s journeyman.

Saab pushing hard to get out, that’s a much more worrying sign.

Recruitment and retention at sgi is a dogs breakfast at the moment and they can’t attract genuine talent, even with massive overs.

Still, board says everything’s ok. Nothing to see here. Business as usual. Carry on McDonut, we trust you!

And btw, time to drop Hunt, Graham, Vaughn and Norman. No threats, just do it.

Hunts next contract should be based on runs at the line or a $1k bonus if he tries. Soon see some courage.

I love Friz, but a $5k bonus if he catches a ball in space.

Cam would send the club broke within a month on a performance based contract!

Last edited:

YoHadrian

Juniors
Lets be serious McGregors coaching performance was not up to scratch before the Debelin incident.
His hesitation of picking and improving young talent has always been a problem.

Yep, as far as I'm concerned using JDB as an excuse for a divided player group is just a furphy instigated by the Mary lovers to deflect from the fact that he is a effing donkey of a coach.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting that there are more players wanting to leave than wanting to sign.

We could well and truly end up with a team of retirees or even 19 and 20yr olds.

Who, in their right mind, would want to sign with the Dragons right now?
Even Suli, who was going to be paid massive overs to join us, knocked us back for less and a 'decent' coach. Forget about the David Fafitas etc coming here.

Signing a new coach at seasons end is also going to have little impact for 2021. The earliest, I believe, we could see any movememt of quality signings wont be until after the 2021 season and thay would include apppinting Bennet at the end of this season.

If they are going to pull the trigger on McGregor and appoint a new coach, that decision has to be made now. Whether that be Bennet or Wane or Fitzgibbon, calling it now (even allowing for take over at this seasons end) would at least give the new incumbent time to examine the current roster, and would also trigger some recruitement interest.

Even if it went down these lines "STGI have appointed (insert new coaches name) as head coach for the 2021 season. Paul McGregor will remain as coach until the conclusion of the 2020 season".

It's not the only way of course, sacking him immediately would also aide in the fortunes of our performances and recruitement prospects.

getsmarty

Immortal
Interesting that there are more players wanting to leave than wanting to sign.

We could well and truly end up with a team of retirees or even 19 and 20yr olds.

Who, in their right mind, would want to sign with the Dragons right now?
Even Suli, who was going to be paid massive overs to join us, knocked us back for less and a 'decent' coach. Forget about the David Fafitas etc coming here.

Signing a new coach at seasons end is also going to have little impact for 2021. The earliest, I believe, we could see any movememt of quality signings wont be until after the 2021 season and thay would include apppinting Bennet at the end of this season.

If they are going to pull the trigger on McGregor and appoint a new coach, that decision has to be made now. Whether that be Bennet or Wane or Fitzgibbon, calling it now (even allowing for take over at this seasons end) would at least give the new incumbent time to examine the current roster, and would also trigger some recruitement interest.

Even if it went down these lines "STGI have appointed (insert new coaches name) as head coach for the 2021 season. Paul McGregor will remain as coach until the conclusion of the 2020 season".

It's not the only way of course, sacking him immediately would also aide in the fortunes of our performances and recruitement prospects.

I think it may be past that point.................

Yep, as far as I'm concerned using JDB as an excuse for a divided player group is just a furphy instigated by the Mary lovers to deflect from the fact that he is a effing donkey of a coach.

That’s right.

And Ray is a donkey for making an allegation he won’t support with names and evidence.

It’s a harmful statement and Cam was right to smash him with facts. Remember those Ray?

Sometimes even your troubled players need to be defended from an attack on their flank and this is such an occasion.

Last edited: