What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saint Des ??

BLM01

First Grade
Perhaps Deano is the brains behind the Cowboys revival this season. Listening to Todd Payten doesn't convince me that it's all coming from him.
Rubbish. Not sure why you would think that? Unless it is wishful thinking when Dragons sign him as a coach that we have ourselves a future successful one.?

Payten is the man pulling the strings with more succesful coaching experience than Deano at all levels
He turned the Warriors into a semi competitive squad when he took over from Kearney

Gareth67

First Grade
Ha ! Des ? The thing about Dessie is that he thinks that money grows on trees . He just about bankrupt the Bulldogs with his big name signings whilst he was there .

I have no qualms about the big name signings as the more the merrier here at the Dragons , but our Uncle Bruce is tighter than a 2nd hand Scotsman’s wallet .

I also believe that he has lost that magic that he once had , which is a shame , as he was certainly up their with the best tactical coaches in his earlier days .

I would much rather haul Flanagan from his cushy office job and put him in as Griffo’s assistant .

Last edited:
Hasler is a passionate mad professor.

He has always managed to recruit great players.

Hasler focuses on defence.

His sides are usually made up of big uncompromising mobile forwards.

It’s a yes from me if he were willing to return to Wombarra.

We accepted Griffin because we thought any coach would have been better than Mary. Unfortunately for the club, both those coaches are conservative dinosaurs too set in their ways to embrace change.

The club needs someone who can instill the standards needed to make us competitive.

Webby, get this done.

mickeylane

Bench
Webby
Hasler is a passionate mad professor.

He has always managed to recruit great players.

Hasler focuses on defence.

His sides are usually made up of big uncompromising mobile forwards.

It’s a yes from me if he were willing to return to Wombarra.

We accepted Griffin because we thought any coach would have been better than Mary. Unfortunately for the club, both those coaches are conservative dinosaurs too set in their ways to embrace change.

The club needs someone who can instill the standards needed to make us competitive.

Webby, get this done.
Webby, the boxer w no arms..

Rubbish. Not sure why you would think that? Unless it is wishful thinking when Dragons sign him as a coach that we have ourselves a future successful one.?

Payten is the man pulling the strings with more succesful coaching experience than Deano at all levels
He turned the Warriors into a semi competitive squad when he took over from Kearney
Even after this year Payten has a <50% win percentage as a top tier coach. For one thing, he has better cattle than us, and obviously has good staff - of which Deano is one.

slippery5

Juniors
Perhaps Deano is the brains behind the Cowboys revival this season. Listening to Todd Payten doesn't convince me that it's all coming from him.
I don't know why the dislike for him is so strong on this forum ??? Bennett once said he is born to coach, so just because he is an "old Boy" & son of Albert I couldn't give a Rats if it means getting rid of the Dinosaur.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Mate there’s no shame in admitting you were wrong about Hook. I was wrong too, and I have plenty of company.
Not sure how this is relevant. I must've got it wrong assuming this thread was about Des Hasler being our coach.

I don't know why the dislike for him is so strong on this forum ??? Bennett once said he is born to coach, so just because he is an "old Boy" & son of Albert I couldn't give a Rats if it means getting rid of the Dinosaur.
Hmmm - I'm not sure that an endorsement from Bennett seals the deal. He had big wraps on Chinless as well.
I've no idea whether Young is born to coach or not. What I want at Saints is someone who *wants* the gig, has some ambition and passion for the club, has tasted premiership success and can get into the players "quality world" and get the best out of them.
If that's Des or Dean, so be it. We aren't going to be winning a comp in 2023 - but with the right coaching and a few new faces who aren't just filling a jersey we could do in 2024.

BLM01

First Grade
Even after this year Payten has a <50% win percentage as a top tier coach. For one thing, he has better cattle than us, and obviously has good staff - of which Deano is one.
To be fair when he took over the Warriors & Cowboys (his first year) they were near rock bottom at struggling
So of course his early % would be low. He has won 17/24 this year though = 71%

justadragon

Bench
Hmmm - I'm not sure that an endorsement from Bennett seals the deal. He had big wraps on Chinless as well.
I've no idea whether Young is born to coach or not. What I want at Saints is someone who *wants* the gig, has some ambition and passion for the club, has tasted premiership success and can get into the players "quality world" and get the best out of them.
If that's Des or Dean, so be it. We aren't going to be winning a comp in 2023 - but with the right coaching and a few new faces who aren't just filling a jersey we could do in 2024.
With all this talk about Deano and Des, there is still Flanno there, there has to be a reason why nothing has been done about him, mind you I'd like to hear from him as far as recruiting is concerned or retention.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hasler does not really do well with juniors if you look at the Dogs, when he arrived their junior development ceased. He was a great coach at Manly and for me will always be a Manly boy.

One thing for sure if Saints don't sack the coach they have no ambition to compete again next season as surely this season showed Saints are not capable of winning a comp as they got flogged against most of the top 8 sides. They Got Souths on an off night and Chooks were at their bad stage when even the Dogs under Baz beat them.

Dragon David

First Grade
With all this talk about Deano and Des, there is still Flanno there, there has to be a reason why nothing has been done about him, mind you I'd like to hear from him as far as recruiting is concerned or retention.
Insofar as the reason why nothing has been done about Flanagan is probably that Hook will continue as coach in 2023 as per his contract extension so the Dragons and Flanagan have no reason to discuss his coaching future at the Dragons (maybe another club, but not the Dragons). Insofar as why we haven't heard anything from him regarding recruitment and retention, I think he and others have a few things to sort out with the current players futures - Ben Hunt is one and possibly waiting for the finals to finish and Nov 1 to come around to "finalise" a couple of signings is my guess, but knowing me, I could be totally wrong.

BLM01

First Grade
Hasler does not really do well with juniors if you look at the Dogs, when he arrived their junior development ceased. He was a great coach at Manly and for me will always be a Manly boy.

One thing for sure if Saints don't sack the coach they have no ambition to compete again next season as surely this season showed Saints are not capable of winning a comp as they got flogged against most of the top 8 sides. They Got Souths on an off night and Chooks were at their bad stage when even the Dogs under Baz beat them.
Well on the other side we were unlucky against Penrith in Round 2 (Sua? 2 nd half sin bin cruelled us)
We should of beaten Canberra twice and had a plethora of opportunity against Sharks x 1 recently and could not take it
We beat the Broncos x 1. The rest above us flogged us incl Sharks R3.
But you are right we are not capable of wininng the comp

Gareth67

First Grade
Well so much for Saint Des - aaaaand Jake & Tom Terrific.
Both Tommy and Dale Cherry Evans have put to rest the media rumours of them not getting along .

Tom has said that he and Jake are more than happy where they are and believe that Hasler is the man to pull the Sea Eagles out of the mire .

Well thats one rumour that can be put out in the rubbish bin .

But don’t worry gents , my good mate Horace Knowall , who drinks at the Bondi watering holes frequented by the Rooster players , has told me ( in the strictest confidence ) that the Rorters are seriously considering letting Tedesco go . They apparently require the extra dollars to keep their next super star Sualalii .

So perhaps Teddy can be lured down to the ‘Gong ? 🤔

Last edited:

Latest posts