What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Effectiveness

Tommy Smith

Referee
I wonder how much we're paying Robbo?

We could probably save 500k+ per year by replacing him with Paul Langmack.

He'd do just as good as Robbo with our roster. He'd also continue to build and manage our roster just as well into the future.

Make the switch and save the $$$, Uncle Nick. The geniuses of LU think it's a no brainer.

Springs09

Juniors
Great thread.

So in conclusion, Trent Robinson is just an average coach with a great roster.

And moreover, coaches make absolutely no difference at all - they are beholden to their roster entirely!

That should be comforting to Warriors and Dragons fans.

You no longer need to complain about Kearney and Mary, guys; because the coach is irrelevant.

Brilliant insight once again from LU.

Yeah good work making dumbass conclusions. Makes you look real smart.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah good work making dumbass conclusions. Makes you look real smart.
I'm not smart.

The smart ones are the geniuses who think that coaches don't make much of a difference.

I bow down to them.

Just remember, if Uncle Nick hired Terry Lamb instead of Robbo in 2013 we'd still have won 4 Minor Premierships, 2 Premierships and appeared in 6 Prelims.

It's true because LU said so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact Eels managed to blow the salary cap and still finish bottom should be a good indicator that money isnt everything! Then again Sharks blew the cap and won a premiership so who knows?

Springs09

Juniors
I'm not smart.

The smart ones are the geniuses who think that coaches don't make much of a difference.

I bow down to them.

Just remember, if Uncle Nick hired Terry Lamb instead of Robbo in 2013 we'd still have won 4 Minor Premierships, 2 Premierships and appeared in 6 Prelims.

It's true because LU said so.

Yeah cause everyone was saying that

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
End of next season, yeah? Cronk’s departure will top up a 2/3 of those contracts depending how much Mitchell demands. Reckon Hargreaves will be tempted by rival offers. Can’t see Lam staying.
You will struggle to keep both centres. Manu will be getting good offers. Kid is physically a beast, his upper body strength is insane. Easily one of the best centres and has his head screwed on. Doesn't have the attitude issues that pop up sometimes with blokes like Latrell and BJ.

I think you will let JWH walk to keep SST. Friend is surely surplus to requirements now?

MilkShark

First Grade
I wonder how much we're paying Robbo?

We could probably save 500k+ per year by replacing him with Paul Langmack.

He'd do just as good as Robbo with our roster. He'd also continue to build and manage our roster just as well into the future.

Make the switch and save the $$$, Uncle Nick. The geniuses of LU think it's a no brainer.
My goldfish is cheaper than langmack

Valheru

Coach
You will struggle to keep both centres. Manu will be getting good offers. Kid is physically a beast, his upper body strength is insane. Easily one of the best centres and has his head screwed on. Doesn't have the attitude issues that pop up sometimes with blokes like Latrell and BJ.

I think you will let JWH walk to keep SST. Friend is surely surplus to requirements now?

Finally a reasonable post.

Agree we unlikely keep both Manu and Latrell. Manu a big chance to go to union.

Friend will definitely go and JWH will need to take under to stay.

jiorl

Juniors
Y
Finally a reasonable post.

Agree we unlikely keep both Manu and Latrell. Manu a big chance to go to union.

Friend will definitely go and JWH will need to take under to stay.
Yeh i don't want to lose Verills. It will be a shame though if/when Friend departs

Maximus

Coach
Bennett's already proved it. Dragons won a premiership under Bennett after years of underachieving,

They made 2 prelims in the 4 years before Bennett took over. Not exactly taking a bottom of the table side.

A few quotes from the article I linked to in an earlier post which gives you some insight -

“We manage our list and salary cap well because when you look at our players — we’ve got 23 players out of the current top 30 list since they were in under 20s.

“Therefore, when you run your salary cap that way, you come out with a much better result rather than buying from outside.

“When you buy from outside all the time, you tend to pay more.

“Of course we got [James] Tedesco and Cooper Cronk, but most of our players come from within. That’s a much more efficient way of managing your salary cap and staying within the cap.

and

Umm Morris, Cronk, Hutchison, Tedesco, Keary, Hall, Crichton, JWH, Tetevano is 9. His numbers are wrong.

I'm pretty sure i saw somewhere that Manu was about to resign

Manu has mentioned it publicly to the press he's in negotiations regarding a new contract with the Roosters.

Jake Friend won’t be going anywhere. You don’t understand your own club very well if you think that.

I agree with you on that one. You need more than one quality hooker in your squad. If they let Friend walk then what would happen if Verrills got injured?

Umm Morris, Cronk, Hutchison, Tedesco, Keary, Hall, Crichton, JWH, Tetevano is 9. His numbers are wrong.

Crichton played in the lower grades at the Roosters before signing with Souths for the 2015 season. So that is 8, which means Politis is out by 1. Gee he must be a complete liar eh? :rolleyes:

chunk

Juniors
What about support staff such as number and types of physios, dietitians, mental coaches etc and facilities such as training facilities, grounds etc? This must play a part when attracting players.

This is there place of work, so the more support and better facilities the more attractive place to be.

I thought the NRL were going to have a support staff salary cap or not?