What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Effectiveness

super_coach

First Grade
The salary cap is actually hurting the teams it was designed to help. The lower teams have to pay overs to attract talent so they get less bang for their buck. Also way easier to attract TPAs when your successful.

Iam not sure what the answer is but the cap certainly is not helping a lot of teams

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its the 3rd party deals that are the killer. This was last years, no one could say with a straight face that this is accurate. The Roosters dont seem to have many 3rd parties which is utter nonsense unless all their roster are playing for unders. - BIG unders.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/13...ents-public-and-strengthens-contract-process/

If Storm can achieve $1mill in an AFL city then some heartland clubs attracting less than $200k TPA's really need to get their sht together!!

adamkungl

Immortal
Please give me a run down on how much you think each of your top 17 are on. I'd love to see how you can fit the Roosters roster under the cap. By my calculations nearly half the cap is gone on 5- 6 players. Only 3rd party deals could allow the Roosters to keep that roster together- not that there's anything wrong with it

The rules
9,100k (9.1M) maximum
+ 200k veterans allowance (10 year veteran or 8 years at one club)
+ 100k for 5 company cars worth 20k each
Minimum wage of 105k for players 1-16, 72.5k for players 27-30

900.00 Tedesco
800.00 Cronk *
800.00 Crichton
700.00 Keary
550.00 Friend *
550.00 Hargreaves
550.00 Cordner *
350.00 Mitchell
350.00 Tupou
350.00 Aubusson *
300.00 Taukeiaho
250.00 Manu
250.00 Morris
250.00 Radley
250.00 Liu
200.00 Tetevano
200.00 Collins
200.00 Hall
150.00 Ikuvalu
150.00 Butcher
150.00 Verrills
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
72.50 nobodies
72.50 nobodies
72.50 nobodies
72.50 nobodies

9,065.00 TOTAL
*50k each under veteran allowance for Cronk, Friend, Cordner and Aubusson
Distribute the NRL documented 250k in TPAs as you wish..

adamkungl

Immortal
The salary cap is actually hurting the teams it was designed to help. The lower teams have to pay overs to attract talent so they get less bang for their buck. Also way easier to attract TPAs when your successful.

Iam not sure what the answer is but the cap certainly is not helping a lot of teams

Potentially a valid point.

I know Raiders would love to, and are capable of, spend more but are restricted by the cap

Perth Red

Post Whore
The rules
9,100k (9.1M) maximum
+ 200k veterans allowance (10 year veteran or 8 years at one club)
+ 100k for 5 company cars worth 20k each
Minimum wage of 105k for players 1-16, 72.5k for players 27-30

900.00 Tedesco
800.00 Cronk *
800.00 Crichton
700.00 Keary
550.00 Friend *
550.00 Hargreaves
550.00 Cordner *
350.00 Mitchell
350.00 Tupou
350.00 Aubusson *
300.00 Taukeiaho
250.00 Manu
250.00 Morris
250.00 Radley
250.00 Liu
200.00 Tetevano
200.00 Collins
200.00 Hall
150.00 Ikuvalu
150.00 Butcher
150.00 Verrills
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
105.00 nobodies
72.50 nobodies
72.50 nobodies
72.50 nobodies
72.50 nobodies

9,065.00 TOTAL
*50k each under veteran allowance for Cronk, Friend, Cordner and Aubusson
Distribute the NRL documented 250k in TPAs as you wish..

Probably not far off except these three, Id be surprised if they arent on more. Friend and Aubusson probably slightly less
550.00 Hargreaves
550.00 Cordner *
350.00 Mitchell

adamkungl

Immortal
Probably not far off except these three, Id be surprised if they arent on more. Friend and Aubusson probably slightly less
550.00 Hargreaves
550.00 Cordner *
350.00 Mitchell

JWH and Cordner (and Keary) are both on 3 or 4 deals that were done, I think, before the latest big jump in cap.
We signed Tedesco and Cronk at a very opportune time. The cap increased by close to $3Mil from 2017 to 2018, and we dropped Pearce who was rumoured to be on close to 800k.

I thought Latrell Mitchell's gripes over his unders are fairly well documented in the media, vaguely recall hearing 350k. Maybe 450 as Babyface suggests above.

But either way you could fiddle other players up/down to compensate

Eg. entirely likely Verrills and co are on minimum wage rather than the 150k ive allocated

T-Boon

Coach
Before we talk about the EFFECTIVENESS of the salary cap, we need to agree on the GOAL of the salary cap.

Is it now about redistributing talent? Or, like when it was first introduced, is it meant to stop clubs spend money the dont have?

Then we should be asking IF and WHY we want that.

THEN we can ask if it is effective or not......

I think no one is really sure what the cap is for, but no one can be bothered to look into it. Its just easier to leave it as it is.

Are you talking about the salary cap or the scrum??

T-Boon

Coach
The other thing that will help is relocating the Roosters.
Without the Roosters, players will not be moving between Sydney clubs as much and since the Roosters have already gifted Moore Park and the CBD of Sydney to the Swans...the Swans...what is there to lose in a relocation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cap is $9.2mill plus $200k veteran/developed player plus 100k car allowance for Top 30 players

2018 was $9.1mill and going up to $9.7mill by 2022

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

I cant find any confirmation of what is or isn't allowed under this "There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance"
It looks like players can earn another $600k total from this marquee allowance option but it isnt very clear.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The salary cap is fine.

The TPAs are the problem and its no longer an even playing field.

TPA's are supposed to be independent of the club and therefore in theory shouldn't be a deciding factor in signing for one club over the other. (Yes i did type that with a straight face :) ) Melbourne's large amount was probably due to some of the big deals Billy Slater had, he was one of the few players you actually saw in TV adverts.

Travitoh

First Grade
From our original 2012 Top 4 finish, there are only 4 players who remain at the Rabbitohs:

Sam Burgess
Adam Reynolds
John Sutton (retiring)
George Burgess (leaving)

Heck, after this year we'll only have 4 players left from our 2014 premiership team (Alex Johnston, Adam Reynolds, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess).

That's a pretty big turnover in 5 years. I'd say the salary cap is working fine.

Some clubs are just run better than others.

This actually highlights what is wrong with a salary cap. It punishes success.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This actually highlights what is wrong with a salary cap. It punishes success.

Yes and no, the really good clubs lose good players but have equal or better younger ones coming through. Look at how many quality players Storm have lost in the last 6 years and yet they still dominate.

SBD82

Coach
I’m eternally grateful for the salary cap.

My team spends $9.1m on players, god knows what on football operations, development and staff, and still can’t put together a side that plays consistently good football.

We’ve thrown overs at undeserving players in an effort to mask the fact that our team is lacking, because it’s easier to blame the quality of player than admit the real issue.

Our club is managed in such a way that McGregor’s contract has been extended twice.

Imagine what we would try to spend to paper over the cracks if we had no cap. We’d go broke.

In relation to on field success, the salary cap will not save clubs from shit management. Nor should it in my opinion.

Last edited:

Someguy

First Grade
The salary cap is fine.

Pretty much this as long as the same teams get the bulk of free to air coverage (games show and hype) they will have an advantage in attracting TPA’s.

Also my understanding is that TPA’s are meant to be independent of the club a player plays at then you hear things like Inglis Medicare money to show up at a few do’s in the Redfern community, nothing against the work he done but can’t see how it’s transferrable if he was to move Canberra or Brisbane

carcharias

Immortal
The salary cap is fine.

It’s like the cap is completely f**king pointless.

... it’s never been an even playing field, cap or not.
In my life
Manly
Raiders
Broncos
Storm
Roosters

All had almost the full Australia rep team at stages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty much this as long as the same teams get the bulk of free to air coverage (games show and hype) they will have an advantage in attracting TPA’s.

Also my understanding is that TPA’s are meant to be independent of the club a player plays at then you hear things like Inglis Medicare money to show up at a few do’s in the Redfern community, nothing against the work he done but can’t see how it’s transferrable if he was to move Canberra or Brisbane

Melbourne are rarely on FTA yet 2 of their players accounted for nearly twice as much as some clubs in total. Its as much about star power, not being a dckhead so your attractive to advertisers and being an international/rep player as anything the club is doing. Winning GF's doesnt hurt either. Keep away from the neck tatts, pssing in your mouth, banging your GF on social media or sticking white powder up your nose and you might be of more interest to third parties!

I'm always astounded at how little star power our best players have and how little they can generate in image rights from sponsorships and advertising.