What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Limit

blackberryman

Juniors
I have searched and there are heaps of salary cap comments, but none in hard cold written English.

Can someone please clarify the details of the Salary Cap. It has been doing my head in.

Also, do we have a list of Players Wages and 3rd Party agreements that has been scavanged from the net ?

Pass the Ball

Juniors
I have searched and there are heaps of salary cap comments, but none in hard cold written English.

Can someone please clarify the details of the Salary Cap. It has been doing my head in.

Also, do we have a list of Players Wages and 3rd Party agreements that has been scavanged from the net ?

The above site will explain the cap...

Is there a website that lists your name and salary anywhere...???

Any amounts printed in newpapers are "reported amounts" which have little to do with "actual amounts"....

The above site will explain the cap...

Is there a website that lists your name and salary anywhere...???

Any amounts printed in newpapers are "reported amounts" which have little to do with "actual amounts"....
That's all speculation, they'll never announce a players income to th public. When the media say what a player signed for it's only a guess or a inside tip.

saint-stefano

Juniors
could someone please explain how it works ..
if say cap limit is 10 mil the top clubs seem to get the best players and they spend there 10 mil the rest of the players arent worth top money so we the dragons go buy our thirty players but if there is not anyone worth top dollar do we still have to spend the 10 mil or can we say spend 8 and use the other 2 mil the following year because if we have to spend the 10 mil we virtually being forced to over inflate players .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The way I see the cap is teams with TPA's such as the Dogs have a unlimited cap whilst teams with no TPA's are limited to 10 mil or whatever the limit is such as the Dragons. It is the TPA that are screwing the salary cap.

redVinme

Bench
could someone please explain how it works ..
if say cap limit is 10 mil the top clubs seem to get the best players and they spend there 10 mil the rest of the players arent worth top money so we the dragons go buy our thirty players but if there is not anyone worth top dollar do we still have to spend the 10 mil or can we say spend 8 and use the other 2 mil the following year because if we have to spend the 10 mil we virtually being forced to over inflate players .
Have to spend 95%. Think it's rolling over a period or something. But yep basically you are right. You have to pay massive over or sign players you dont want basically or if you have players tied up long term front load contracts.

Sucks for those trying to rebuild unfortunately, but that's why you need great recruitment and pathways. Which right now we have neither

Dragon David

First Grade
I have checked the internet for the latest details on Salary Cap. It explains a lot about how the amount allocated to each club needs to be spent, that is -
"$9.118m – base salary cap for the Top 30 players. At least 24 Top 30 players must be contracted by the first Monday in November November and 29 Top 30 players by the first Monday in March and 30 Top 30 players by the first Monday in August."

Here is the full details of the Salary Cap from NRL Operations.

Trifili13

Juniors
So if you are a top club they are say able to attract their top 10 players at a 10% discount for what lower teams have to pay for the same players so in reality they have a $1m cap advantage even before TPAs.

While the salary cap was bought in to stop clubs over-spending and going broke, the long-term effects we are seeing is that it advantages the top teams and disadvantages the lower teams.

redVinme

Bench
So if you are a top club they are say able to attract their top 10 players at a 10% discount for what lower teams have to pay for the same players so in reality they have a $1m cap advantage even before TPAs.

While the salary cap was bought in to stop clubs over-spending and going broke, the long-term effects we are seeing is that it advantages the top teams and disadvantages the lower teams.
The shit team also has to pay 110% value min probs more. It's millions in difference, and the top clubs are also hold most of the best juniors. There isn't a talent issue in the NRL it's just not disspursed properly.

Depressing

shiloh dc

Juniors
Whilst i would love a journalist to publish the TPA's per team for 2023, i doubt its overall effectiveness as it wouldn't list the additional benefits provided on the side by clubs.
It would make an interesting read to have a list of the cars owned and driven by player's parents - how many would be 4x4's <3 years old???
The salary cap is tainted by a star player's social media profile particularly in large markets. For example, Adam Reynolds might only be on say 700K at the Broncos but can earn an additional $1M+ per year through sponsored social media posts in the large Sth East Qld market. If he say played for the Raiders - his social media earning potential would be significantly less.
The current salary cap is flawed.

maestro1

Bench
The way I see the cap is teams with TPA's such as the Dogs have a unlimited cap whilst teams with no TPA's are limited to 10 mil or whatever the limit is such as the Dragons. It is the TPA that are screwing the salary cap.
This is exactly the problem. The TPAs were introduced to stop NRL players going to Union. This doesn't really happen now so there is no need to keep the TPAs going. However, the Politics types love the advantage it gives their clubs, so they make sure that they are not removed, even though the original problem that introduced them no longer exists. Whilst these powerbrokers insist that they remain, the Salary Cap, which works well to even out the playing field, becomes almost comical.

jak

Bench

you should be asking uncle nick, im sure he is the one that the wrote the original draft, in pencil just in case he needed to make changes.

Latest posts