What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Limit

BLM01

First Grade
Yes, I'm jealous. I wish our club could rort as well as the roosters and we could generate TPAs as easily
The problem it is not just TPA’s under contract like Nike etc
It the links to the business world that can offer business opportunities, advertising opportunities rugby league media opportunities and real estate arrangements during and post contract
I am hoping when WiIN Grand development takes off in Wollongong soon Uncle Bruce can slip an apartment or 2 the players way.. post contract off course or when their lease expires
Similar to what other clubs do

FlickFlano

Juniors
This is assuming that it is TPA's preventing us from signing people and not the absolute shit show that has been our club since Wayne Bennett burned it to the ground on his way out.

Dragon David

First Grade
I am surprised an owner of a TV network cannot get any TPA's on board to help a club he is part of and a guy that owns a few hotels can.
It's probably a case of what you know rather than who you know in the case of Uncle Brucie although I could be far wrong with the what you know in Bruce's case as well.

Arthur Laundy and Bruce Gordon are worth pretty much the same although Laundy is about $100 million richer - $1.4 billion to Gordon's $1.3 billion. Gordon appears to be a reclusive type of person and may not mingle in business circles that much while Laundy has been around the pub ownership scene for yonks, taking the Laundy pub ownership from 4 to about 90 after his father's death in 1969. Arthur's business acumen would be first class and he would be the type to talk to so many people of all walks of life and successful businessmen who he could ask them to help sponsor many of the Bulldogs players. The Bulldogs over the years have used Laundy's pubs for functions etc and one of Arthur's sons is more the Bulldogs fan I've read.

Bruce Gordon as I have said elsewhere appears to stay out of the limelight and I have never ever seen any photo of him being with the Dragons players or him holding a Dragons flag, scarf, jersey - nothing. He means shit all to me. Russell Crowe has Souths players go to his country property and you do see him at games and is a proud Rabbitohs fan/owner.

Until Bruce shows his face in front of the Dragons premises, he is nothing but an investor wanting whatever return he can get.

kit66

Bench
My wife is a mad keen Baseball fan - mostly following her Japanese team Hanshin Tigers (who incidentley won not only their Central League pennant but also the Japanese Championship pennant this year, rather convincingly) but she also keeps an eye on Japanese players who play for US teams. She just handed me this article about Japanese legend Shohei Ohtani taking up a 10 year contract to play for the LA Dodgers valued at over $1Billion Aussie dollars - or $70million US a year for 10 years. So he'll earn more than half of all our NRL players combined. Consider me boggled.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/mlb-n...-dodgers/a44b75db-badc-4f6b-9823-f237ff3ab423

Dragon David

First Grade
My wife is a mad keen Baseball fan - mostly following her Japanese team Hanshin Tigers (who incidentley won not only their Central League pennant but also the Japanese Championship pennant this year, rather convincingly) but she also keeps an eye on Japanese players who play for US teams. She just handed me this article about Japanese legend Shohei Ohtani taking up a 10 year contract to play for the LA Dodgers valued at over $1Billion Aussie dollars - or $70million US a year for 10 years. So he'll earn more than half of all our NRL players combined. Consider me boggled.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/mlb-n...-dodgers/a44b75db-badc-4f6b-9823-f237ff3ab423
He not only is a great slogger and pitcher, he is also good looking to boot. Like a Hollywood movie star playing the part of a great baseball player.

Some people have the best of both worlds in talent and looks and this guy Ohtani will be a rich one as well. Good luck to him.

We value a few of the marquee players in league by paying them at best $1.1 - $1.2 M a year and they biff and batter their way in a game that most play for a period of say 12 years and come out with an injury list as long as your arm and when they get to the older stage of their lives cop the dementia diagnosis.

This highly paid Japanese baseballer will earn, as kit66 has said, $70M a year for ten years and the likely injuries he might encounter could be hamstring tears or rotator cuff problems or neither.

But then, we are talking big money US sport and you would expect something like this.

The other person in the news is Jon Rahm who has reportedly just signed with LIV Golf in the amount of $700 M US dollars (close to a Billion Aussie Dollars). Just crazy.

If kids ask what sport they should play, throw in Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Soccer for starters.

Last edited:
Easy to see why Vlandys wants to get a foot in the door for the NRL in the USA.
To even achieve a small share of the sporting market would be huge for the game.
And of course, not forgetting how much a slice of the betting market could also rake in some big dollars.

thebigredv

First Grade
I wouldn’t be saying this if my club was up there fighting for premierships but it really feels the idea of the cap is failing now. Adding teams like the dolphins and they already have a far superior squad to ours. We watch Bulldogs sign tens of millions of worth of quality over the last two or three seasons. We throw millions at Dearden and Fonua Blake and get rejected and are suppose to believe no funny business is going on.

Sure we suck at recruitment but the salary cap is not serving it’s purpose.

SBD82

Coach
I wouldn’t be saying this if my club was up there fighting for premierships but it really feels the idea of the cap is failing now. Adding teams like the dolphins and they already have a far superior squad to ours. We watch Bulldogs sign tens of millions of worth of quality over the last two or three seasons. We throw millions at Dearden and Fonua Blake and get rejected and are suppose to believe no funny business is going on.

Sure we suck at recruitment but the salary cap is not serving it’s purpose.
The salary cap is absolutely serving it’s purpose. It wasn’t brought in to keep things equal, it was to stop clubs going broke through Hail Mary recruitment decisions.

And it’s working. Can you imagine how f**ked our roster management would be if we tried to compete with the rich, well run clubs?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How is the cap working if clubs are being shonks and buying everyone whilst stopping other clubs from building a decent squad? If you put a restriction on clubs to spend, you should police it and make it fair on everyone, not turn your back on the obvious rort. The Dogs sponsor literally dobbed himself in only for Gus to jump in and deny it and it all went quiet.

SBD82

Coach
How is the cap working if clubs are being shonks and buying everyone whilst stopping other clubs from building a decent squad? If you put a restriction on clubs to spend, you should police it and make it fair on everyone, not turn your back on the obvious rort. The Dogs sponsor literally dobbed himself in only for Gus to jump in and deny it and it all went quiet.
Sure. Dodgy payments happen.

But those dodgy payments aren’t coming from the clubs’ bottom lines. So there’s not risk to the financial viability of the clubs.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It should be black or white and no grey areas when it comes to restricting clubs. It is a joke and clearly shows the auditor is not doing his job or is being selective.

What would happen to the NRL if Dogs get caught a second time with a huge salary cap rort? It would really show that the salary cap does not work and the club just doesn't care. Seriously, would the NRL have grounds to boot Dogs and Storm out of the comp for good seeing they bring the game in disrepute for a second time doing the same thing? It would be an absolute disaster for the NRL if that happened. I am sure all the other clubs will be demanding stern action than just a points deduction again because they clearly shows that is does not work. Those teams ended up winning a comp a year or 2 later and they still celebrate the trophies taken off them so those teams clearly have a lack of respect for the code and were not really impacted although the Storm do not go out buying 10 players a season to make it obvious. Dogs have bought more players than the Dolphins in 2 years and the Dolphins are a new club.

Dragon David

First Grade
It should be black or white and no grey areas when it comes to restricting clubs. It is a joke and clearly shows the auditor is not doing his job or is being selective.

What would happen to the NRL if Dogs get caught a second time with a huge salary cap rort? It would really show that the salary cap does not work and the club just doesn't care. Seriously, would the NRL have grounds to boot Dogs and Storm out of the comp for good seeing they bring the game in disrepute for a second time doing the same thing? It would be an absolute disaster for the NRL if that happened. I am sure all the other clubs will be demanding stern action than just a points deduction again because they clearly shows that is does not work. Those teams ended up winning a comp a year or 2 later and they still celebrate the trophies taken off them so those teams clearly have a lack of respect for the code and were not really impacted although the Storm do not go out buying 10 players a season to make it obvious. Dogs have bought more players than the Dolphins in 2 years and the Dolphins are a new club.
The word is that as Luai has not put pen to paper, the Bulldogs are now doing their darndest to sign him up. Bloody hell, what goes on there. I know that it would be for 2025 so they will have time to get rid of a few halves they have recently signed but still where do other clubs stand not only the Dragons but poor old Tigers if they miss out in signing him.

It could be a case of us not getting AFB and the Tigers not getting Luai - joint venture clubs missing out.

SBD82

Coach
It is a joke and clearly shows the auditor is not doing his job or is being selective.

Possibly. I’d even say it’s likely. Why would the NRL want to bring negative press on itself? If external money is quietly being pumped into their product, why would they want to find it, or advertise it?

What would happen to the NRL if Dogs get caught a second time with a huge salary cap rort?

It would make headlines for a while, and supporters from other clubs would feel morally superior. Then we would all move on to the next story.

It would really show that the salary cap does not work

Only if you persist in believing that the salary cap exists to make the comp fair. Which it doesn’t

Seriously, would the NRL have grounds to boot Dogs and Storm out of the comp for good seeing they bring the game in disrepute for a second time doing the same thing?

They’d have grounds, but unless it was expedient they wouldn’t do it

It would be an absolute disaster for the NRL if that happened

No it wouldn’t.

I am sure all the other clubs will be demanding stern action than just a points deduction again because they clearly shows that is does not work.

Why would they? They’re currently on a good wicket, where the NRL props up the clubs through grants that total >100% of the salary cap. Not a lot of value for them in publicly criticising their golden goose.

The NRL pays clubs to be involved in the comp. The NRL pays them enough that any footy club with a home ground and a passable management structure could be an NRL club. If any club decided it didn’t want to dance to the NRL’s tune, the NRL could just ditch them and bring in another.

The NRL doesn’t care about fairness. It cares about having 17 viable teams to meet the terms of their broadcast deals. That’s the bottom line. There are other lesser considerations. But that’s the bottom line. The “fairness” myth has been created by media and fans.

Latest posts