What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap pressures could force Eels to break up Grand Final team

lucablight

First Grade
HE Parramatta Eels are facing a salary cap crisis that could force at least one of their Grand Final stars to quit the club.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Eels are committed to an extra $1.2 million in player payments next year.

The upgrading of Jarryd Hayne's contract on top of signing Justin Poore, Shane Shackleton, and Timana Tahu, plus upcoming contract negotiations with boom rookie Daniel Mortimer, will force the Eels to release at least one player.

And the club could be forced to shed more of the Grand Final squad with former Parramatta coach Michael Hagan declaring the Eels must poach Test halfback Johnathan Thurston to break the club's 13-year premiership drought.

Eels CEO Paul Osborne yesterday said that while the club was hopeful of retaining all their stars, they were resigned to the possibility of players leaving.
"I understand a few blokes are looking around informally," he said.

Parramatta were struggling near the Continued page 57

At the time there were doubts over the futures of Luke Burt, Eric Grothe and Nathan Cayless, who have indicated they want to stay in the blue and gold.

Under the current contract structure, including Hayne's upgrade from $250,000 to $500,000, and Mortimer's rise from $40,000 to $150,000, the Eels will spend $4 million of the $4.1 million salary cap on 14 of Sunday's grand final squad with the addition of Poore, Shackleton and Tahu in 2010.

The Daily Telegraph has learned new CEO Paul Osborne will backdate some of the contracts, with Hayne to be paid the bulk of his contract rise in the final three years, when money will be freed up after Nathan contract expires next year.

While grand final lock Todd Lowrie has already agreed to link with Melborne next year, Joe Gaulvao signed with Manly and interchange hooker Kevin Kingston forced out after the NRL denied his offer to repay $50,00 in match payments to stay next year, Eric Grothe and journeyman halfback Jeff Robson are expected to be walk away.

Although Grothe yesterday declared "I will be here next year", the bockbusting winger has struck financial troubles that may force him out of the NRL.

Grothe's manager has been seeking rugby deals in Japan and the UK.

Asked about his future as he left the Eels fan day at Parramatta Stadium, the 29-year-old's words will give heartbroken Parramatta fans little comfort.

"I am here next year," said Grothe, whose 45th minute try gave the Eels a sniff of victory on Sunday as they closed the gap to 10-6. "I'm waiting for an offer. Nothing has come through so I suppose I am here."

Strike centre Krisnan Inu yesterday led a plea to Osborne to retain the grand final squad.

Asked about Robson and Kingston, Inu said: "I hope they are going to be there.

"They are the heart and soul of the middle of the pack and for them to play the way they played all year you expect them to be there next year and help build te team to be stronger because the bond that we've had during the season has been great."

Inu said Robson must be rewarded for his role in guiding the Eels the first grand final in eight years.

"(We want him) for sure. You can't really bag anyone. Everyone is going to love each other that much and we have such a strong bond you don't want to see anyone go.

"Fingers crossed for Robbo that he stays."

link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...grand-final-team/story-e6frexnr-1225783077105

lucablight

First Grade
At the time we were struggling and Poore was arguably the hottest off contract player so obviously we had to pay overs. I haven't seen Shackleton play much but I hope he lives up to his price tag as he is on alot of money

Last edited:

The Fish

Juniors
Poore is worth the big money. An excellent 80 minute prop who gets through a mountain of work. I also watched a fair bit of Shackleton and am more than impressed with him, he makes a lot of valuable hit ups in a game and is vital for our go forward next year. We will have a stronger team on paper next year and if they play with the same level of commitment they showed at the back end of this years competition nobody will stop us

scottyeel

Bench
Who the f**k is Steve Gee? Seriously he wouldn't have a clue what they earn and if he somehow does he has no right to make it public.

hybrideel

Bench
it's funny how these figures are quoted as fact. I'm pretty sure the players figures are confidential and unless the club have made a massive mistake in giving the telegraph this information, then this is nothing more than an educated guess.
Just 3 things from this that i have heard completely different things about.
1. Hayne supposedly took a lower amount in his last contract so Inu could stay. would he really take less money so Inu could get $75K a year more than him? and would parra give Inu that much more than Hayne?
2. I'm fairly sure i heard that Ben Smiths contract was nowhere near that. the big deal was him signing a long term contract but it was always said that the figures were fairly modest.
3. Doesn't Haynes upgrade (which hasn't officially been signed) start in 2011?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Who the f**k is Steve Gee? Seriously he wouldn't have a clue what they earn and if he somehow does he has no right to make it public.

if journos knew what players were on they would've busted the dogs cheating well before 2002. that was found by accident by non league journos

as it is they have nfi

TheParraboy

Staff member
While grand final lock Todd Lowrie has already agreed to link with Melborne next year, Joe Gaulvao signed with Manly and interchange hooker Kevin Kingston forced out after the NRL denied his offer to repay $50,00 in match payments to stay next year, Eric Grothe and journeyman halfback Jeff Robson are expected to be walk away.

Although Grothe yesterday declared "I will be here next year", the bockbusting winger has struck financial troubles that may force him out of the NRL.

Grothe's manager has been seeking rugby deals in Japan and the UK.

Asked about his future as he left the Eels fan day at Parramatta Stadium, the 29-year-old's words will give heartbroken Parramatta fans little comfort.

"I am here next year," said Grothe, whose 45th minute try gave the Eels a sniff of victory on Sunday as they closed the gap to 10-6. "I'm waiting for an offer. Nothing has come through so I suppose I am here."

Grothe has hit financial troubles?

Im guessing he has invested wrongly somewhere? Or his band is costing too much?

distortedchaos

Juniors
Grothe has hit financial troubles?

Im guessing he has invested wrongly somewhere? Or his band is costing too much?

If he didn't drink all his pay before the end of a gig he'd probably be ok :lol:

I don't know if he has "financial troubles", but it wouldn't surprise me if he is searching for a better deal somewhere. Would love him to stay though, great bloke and a great player on his day.

oldmancraigy

Coach
They are just guessing with those numbers

They are DEAD-SET just guessing.

Pretty inaccurate article too - Hayne's new contract starts in 2011.
In 2010 he will earn something like $390k.

He was (allegedly) offered $400k from Souths before he signed his current deal (350/390 over 2 years).

I've been keeping "best guess" numbers for a few years now - based on media snippets, questions and answers and pure speculation!

Their numbers are hopeless - if you add up their 'theories' for this season, you find that we would be a few hundred thousand OVER the cap this season.
They didn't add in Finch ($350k) or Hauraki ($100k - not in the photo shoot)

Oooops.....

For what it's worth, next season:
Shackleton will be on $170k
Fui 250k
Hindy 400k
Cayless 400k
Hayne 390k
Poore 330k
Inu 270k
Burt 160k
Reddy 140k (bargain!)
Guru 250k
And Mortimer will be on about 60k - he signed before making his debut.

In 2011 Hindy goes to something like 270k for 2 years (new deal).

As far as I can tell, the ONLY deal that Osborne has back-ended is that of Tahu. Although apparently he hasn't signed a deal yet?
Looks like he'll be on minimum and match payments for year 1, then something like 250-300k for years 2 and 3.

Oake and Hauraki are worth about 200k between them :?

Seccie

Juniors
with grothe i heard that something went very wrong with the house he's building at cronulla

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
according to that article Shack is on the same as Mateo

big difference in ability

stuke

Bench
don't these articles come out every year about one of the teams in the GF. I'm very surprised it's not about Melbourne.

just on the contracts though, if Kev Kingston's match payments have to go into the salary cap for next year, wouldn't Brett Finch's payout from us be going into Melbourne's cap for next year despite him signing on again for a small contract?

natheel

Coach
what is weller hauraki on? i know hagan resigned him for a modest contract but he wasnt even in the gf team foto. seriously he and oake need to be cut loose and then we can keep kinga and robbo

natheel

Coach
i really hope the guru stays on.... Also we really would like is robson could stay on aswell...

well in the back page of DT today it says robbo is expected to pen a new deal by the end of today? not sure how true this is considering in this article it says he is expected to walk away

Latest posts