What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Solution number?

ngunity

Juniors
One of many issues with Bengals proposal is that the integrity of the selection commitee will come under intense scrutiny

Many say that NSW teams are only picked from clubs X, Y, and Z, so even if a player is origin calibre they can't get selected

Selectors would basically be choosing which clubs get cash, not just players, but clubs... bad

Also I think rewarding players X per game on a Kangaroo tour is ridiculous. playing test football I'd speculate is not as tough as origin. I'd dock the Test footy funding severely until the International game grows a bit more credibility

Also Bengal I'd say your numbers are way too high. Even a team like the Dragons this season shouldn't be granted much more than say $200k on top of their cap, this would let them top up 2-4 players with ok sized lump sums

If you give the Big clubs the kind of money you're proposing then the evenness that the Cap has brought to the NRL the last season or two would go Straight out the window..... booo

Bengal

Juniors
ngunity said:
One of many issues with Bengals proposal is that the integrity of the selection commitee will come under intense scrutiny

Many say that NSW teams are only picked from clubs X, Y, and Z, so even if a player is origin calibre they can't get selected

Selectors would basically be choosing which clubs get cash, not just players, but clubs... bad

Also I think rewarding players X per game on a Kangaroo tour is ridiculous. playing test football I'd speculate is not as tough as origin. I'd dock the Test footy funding severely until the International game grows a bit more credibility

Also Bengal I'd say your numbers are way too high. Even a team like the Dragons this season shouldn't be granted much more than say $200k on top of their cap, this would let them top up 2-4 players with ok sized lump sums

If you give the Big clubs the kind of money you're proposing then the evenness that the Cap has brought to the NRL the last season or two would go Straight out the window..... booo
Very good points ngunity.

Firstly I’d like to start with the figures. As previously mentioned this solution is flexible, practical numbers can be nutted out. The figures used are not set in stone, they just help me explain this solution a little easier. Personally I’d need to examine the numbers of a fair few clubs to arrive at the most sensible set of numbers, remembering that this solution is only designed to offer clubs short-term relief.
Next rewards for Internationals. I tossed and turned over this one. My view was pretty much the same as yours, but I included it anyway because not to do so, may well have sent this whole topic off into a completely different tangent. Still this area can be fine-tuned, for instance it could only be Test matches played between countries (and only the big three at that) that qualify for exemptions.

Next the biggie (the one I never thought about) the integrity of the selectors. I really don’t think I’ve got an answer for that, I’ve never been one to even remotely question their motives.
Well, I suppose maybe exemptions can be capped to between 100k - $150k. With a figure like this I really can’t see the selectors being unduly influenced. Add into the mix the fact that these benefits do not last forever and are only for local juniors may help also. Capping the eligible age (23) could also be a option.

Finally I cannot see this solution upsetting the evenness of the cap, purely because the teams that will benefit from this idea already have these players on their books. All that is happening here is that these teams get to enjoy the fruits of their development for just a little longer i.e. it is not permanent.

Boy I can see how rule books, laws and matters of that elk become so large. So many angles to consider, so many holes to plug. This proposal was supposed to be simple, but I think I’ve failed in that objective, it’s become too convoluted to be of any use I feel.
Oh well – back to the drawing board :?

Bengal

Juniors
Well, I’ve been thinking again

Solution Number (lord only knows?)

A one-time $50,000 salary cap exemption for any local junior that achieves rep status to be used by that club at their discretion (well, that is while he is there). Once again the figure is not set in stone, once again it can be fine-tuned. It is the same framework nuked!
Hopefully nice and simple and easily understood!
The purpose for this solution (option) has been previously outlined